NPE (Negative Play Experience) in Age of Sigmar

Enoby

1 hour ago, Fert said:

I feel GW needs to up it's game and roll out smaller tweaks and a higher rate to keep their finger on the pulse of NPE mechanics.

They should, yet we all know they are VERY hesitant when it comes to re-imagining Warscrolls. In fact it feels like they‘d prefer to do anything else but touching Warscrolls.

*Sadly sounds the Knight Heraldor’s trumpet*

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

They should, yet we all know they are VERY hesitant when it comes to re-imagining Warscrolls. In fact it feels like they‘d prefer to do anything else but touching Warscrolls.

*Sadly sounds the Knight Heraldor’s trumpet*

I wonder why this is the case.

I would assume it's to try as best as they can to not invalidate print - it's one thing to tweak points, and another to totally change the rules of a model. Perhaps they're worried it may confused some players who are less involved with online AoS. 

Personally, I'd much prefer if they just ripped the bandage off and admitted that most of the time when there's an issue, it's the warscroll and not the points that need the core change. 

For a ridiculous example, if there was a unit that did 10 MWs to every unit in the opponent's army, there would be no points cost that would make that unit work. Either it would be so expensive it would be unplayable, or it would be unbearable to play against. There'd be no happy middle ground. There's no unit like this that exists at the moment, but the idea stands - there are some units that are too bad or good that points would never work for them. 

I also think warscroll changes are great for players with good looking units that are too bad to see play (such as Slaangors). By that I mean, they make people feel good about the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/2/2022 at 1:13 PM, Enoby said:

I wonder why this is the case.

I would assume it's to try as best as they can to not invalidate print - it's one thing to tweak points, and another to totally change the rules of a model. Perhaps they're worried it may confused some players who are less involved with online AoS. 

Personally, I'd much prefer if they just ripped the bandage off and admitted that most of the time when there's an issue, it's the warscroll and not the points that need the core change. 

For a ridiculous example, if there was a unit that did 10 MWs to every unit in the opponent's army, there would be no points cost that would make that unit work. Either it would be so expensive it would be unplayable, or it would be unbearable to play against. There'd be no happy middle ground. There's no unit like this that exists at the moment, but the idea stands - there are some units that are too bad or good that points would never work for them. 

I also think warscroll changes are great for players with good looking units that are too bad to see play (such as Slaangors). By that I mean, they make people feel good about the game.

I think the reason is probably because of a certain type of NPE, specifically when you can't keep up with your army or you show up and play and don't know what it does. 

I think this is why they also seem hesitant to change points that much or to shake things up. There are dozens upon dozens of warscrolls that are basically never take in tournament lists, and it would be easy to bump these all down 10 points just to change it up. 

But a lot of players can't play that often. Maybe they show up to a game at their local store once every few months. Then add in the modeling and collecting. So if someone has finally bought, built and painted 2,000 points of their favorite army, you want it to stay 2,000 points. 

It's not a great experience to be playing a casual game and try to do a thing you did before and have your opponent say "that's not how that works anymore." and then learn that in order to play this casual fun game you're expected to read online forums and download pdfs etc etc. If this is someone's second or third game after finally getting an army, it could really sour them to AOS. 

I agree with the sentiment, I wish they'd bump points around and change warscrolls and I always with FAQ's and points updates came with bigger changes. But I get why they don't. Just by being on this forum we are showing we aren't the type of gamer they are probably worried about. 

• Like 4