Led by a Varghulf? They must be mad! Oh, wait......

nuttyknatty

24 minutes ago, KhaosZand3r said:

Are the rules for this GT different? Under General's Handbook rules only one hero in your army can take an artefact.

In general's handbook you get an extra artefact for every batallion you take.

But with regard to the list - I don't have any particular feedback, though I'd be really interested to hear the reasoning behind choosing the varghulf as the general.

I have just played a game with a vargulf with the cursed book and he is very good. I had a horror courtier as my general, I'm starting to think the ghoul kings are not the answer to the army working well as a whole in GH as summoning new units with the command ability is a waste much better to replace what you have lost.

My thinking on the Varghulf as the General is that, as Minkster says, the Command Ability of the ABK isn't much use unless you plan to summon, which I don't. So Inspiring Prescence is good enough, although I do miss the chance to use it twice (it's one of the abilities for the Attendants at Court Battalion). But again, I don't see me having to use that much either.

The Varghulf has a couple more wounds than the ABK and can fly, so, although I lose a pip of armour save, I reckon he might be a little more survivable, and can always move him out of any combats where he's looking dodgy.

I'm also going to the Warchief two dayer and taking mostly Flesh Eaters.  I don't have a Varghulf for a general though.  I've added a Vampire Lord on foot just so I can have a decent command ability.

I also have 60 Ghouls but I've split mine into 30, 20 and 10.

Hey Sutek! It'll be good to have another Ghoul King there!

I played around with those Crypt Ghouls before settling on 3 x 20. I just think 10 will struggle to find a role. Ideally, I'd take 3 x 30, but that's a big points sink. I contemplated having just one big unit of 40, and then take Crypt Horrors as Battleline, but I like big units of those too, and I just couldn't fit everything in.

The Battleplans ultimately lend themselves to big units, and a few of them, so on balance I went with 3 x 20, but time will tell!

Not sure you're correct there.

There are only three 'Rules of One':

One attempt at a spell per turn, 1s to hit, to wound, and to save fail, and only one extra attack/wounds can be generated by special rules that get extra hits/wounds. Nothing in the 'rules of one' covers taking multiples of artefacts as far as I can see.

True though, the AGK's command ability does allow him to summon a unit of 10 Ghouls, but as I mentioned earlier, I struggle to find a use for such a small unit of those little guys.

11 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

With the ability to so easily replenish their numbers, even a small unit of ghouls can really punch above their weight class. If your opponent decides to dedicate serious firepower to destroying them so he can wipe them out entirely... great! That's a round of firepower not directed at something important!

56 minutes ago, KhaosZand3r said:

Not if you're just resummoning dead units. Those are already paid for.

All of this is true. Always remember, you've PAID for it. It's like unemployment (maybe a bad comparison) so you took a hit this round but you've got one or two ghouls left in the unit... Boom hero phase you've brought back ghouls... You paid for it, use it! Think about points spent as putting money in the bank with death units... Yes, holding in reserve isn't as awesome right now. But, reinforcements are great.. And it's Paid for

Realized this is possible 

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: Ring of Immortality
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Cursed Book

Units
Crypt Ghouls x 20 (200)
Crypt Ghouls x 20 (200)
Crypt Horrors x 3 (140)
Crypt Horrors x 3 (140)

Behemoths
Terrorgheist (320)

War Machines

Batallions
Abattoir (60)

Total: 1980/2000

Important clarification: restoring dead MODELS to a unit is free, but unless a summon power specifically recalls a dead unit, having had a unit die doesn't make replacing it fee. 

So.

Using a varghulf to restore models to a unit of ghouls - free.

Using a ghoul king on foot to summon a unit of ghouls identical to one I lost earlier in the game - not free.

The look on your opponent's face when you add five crypt horrors back to a unit that was reduced to one wounded horror - priceless!

Do you need 3 battle line units for this event?  I'm only seeing the 2 units of ghouls toward that requirement.  By the way, the Ghoul Patrol battalion is awesome, because you can replenish d6 ghouls in each hero phase without needing the ghast courtier with them.  Great for harassing war machines and board control.  

Archived