Picking a new General

Scrillas

Question

I have noticed some people selecting a new general when their current one dies in game.  I asked one guy why he did this because I didn't remember reading anything about selecting a new general if the current one dies.  He pointed me to the command traits section of the generals handbook where it says If, for any reason, you must select a new general during a battle, immediately generate a trait for them.  I hadn't take that to mean the model dying but rather an ability or something that made you pick a new general. 

6 answers to this question

The passage of text in the General's handbook is talking about instances like a Skaven BSB stabbing your old general in the back, or the attacker being able to pick a new general if their original general is killed in the battleplan The Ritual from the AoS BRB. 

Anyone interpreting the allegiance rules creatively enough to get a second general out of the deal has missed their calling in life and needs to get a job as a claims attorney stat.

"if, for any reason" is not a reason itself. 

Look at it this way:  "If, for any reason, your dice falls on the ground, you should reroll the die on the table".  That statement does not provide direction to throw any dice on the floor, nor to toss a result you like on the ground to get a free reroll.  It's just telling you what to do if something comes up, not making the thing itselfcome up.  it's the same with the general thing.  If you end up with a new general, pick a new trait.  That doesn't tell you WHEN to pick a new general, only what to do if it comes up.

Archived