Darkoath army

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I am now the proud owner of an actual, unassembled FW Mammoth!

I don't care if he's been moved to Legends, he's bigger than my dog and therefore deserves at least equal loyalty.

I'm going to create an entirely converted Darkoath army in his honour and I'm going to keep my progress tracked on this thread, partly for my own journaling purposes but also to share some hobby love with you Darkoath fans out there. 

Watch this space, as it is soon going to be filled with angry Vikings. 

IMG_3650.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

I am beyond hyped for this. YEAH BUDDY!!! LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!!!!!!! LETS GO!!!!!!!!!

So many awesome darkoath sculpts (the queen, the warband, doggo, the chief) and so much coolness in the warcry warbands as well (spire tyrants are so hot.)

• Subscriber
On 8/13/2021 at 10:37 AM, NorthernNurgling said:

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I am now the proud owner of an actual, unassembled FW Mammoth!

I don't care if he's been moved to Legends, he's bigger than my dog and therefore deserves at least equal loyalty.

I'm going to create an entirely converted Darkoath army in his honour and I'm going to keep my progress tracked on this thread, partly for my own journaling purposes but also to share some hobby love with you Darkoath fans out there. 

Watch this space, as it is soon going to be filled with angry Vikings. 

IMG_3650.jpg

If there is one "miniature" worth basing an entire new army around, it's that!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Didn't think it would take so long to get my first update out there!

So I've bought a few kits and decided not to test a colour scheme out on the Mammoth (name pending).

I really want a horde of marauders, but I IMG_3691.jpg.813f0f33192d499ad119e65ee5ed67eb.jpgwanted them to look special. So here is my test model...

Photo quality is not great but apart from the shield I've just been laying down base coats and feeling my way towards a colour scheme. The shield is just about finished though!

So the conversion here is obviously based off a Kairic Acolyte. I trimmed the Tzeentch bits off him (because my horde is going to be Undivided) and had my first ever attempt at using Green Stuff!

First, I moulded some boots around his bare feet - they look more like socks but I'm hoping between the painting and the base they will get a little lost. 

I replaced the Tzeentch icon on his belt with a chain from the Marauder Horsemen sprue, and popped a Marauder Horsemen head on. 

Next I went back to the Green Stuff and molded a fur pelt around his shoulders and back, plus some trim for his knees and around the edges of his bracers. Fur is really easy to sculpt and I want to keep that part as easy as possible for obvious reasons!

The shield and the axe are from the Gors kit - they are bigger and more primitive than the actual marauder weapons and I think the scale works nicely.

Finally, I have a pile of skulls from the Citadel skull kit, so I took 2, shaved the faces off with a scalpel and embedded them into the fur trim around the knees. I'm trying to imitate the Darkoath Chieftain as much as I can but I'm just relieved all of the proportions work.

I bought 4 different boxes to build this conversion but I'll end up with 20 marauders out of it and I have lots of ideas for the rest of the bitz.

Finally I've started setting up a base - I have a strange obsession with scenic bases... I know the palette on the models will be quite dull so I want the base to bring in some colour. So far I've used a cork tile, some grit and a little pool of Vallejo Water Effect to set up the structure, but I'll be looking to add to this with some vegetation and snow etc.

The plan is to put a test model together completely, then start working on the mammoth - I figure I'll keep churning out the marauders in little breaks between "mammoth" painting sessions (haha).

So what do you think of my first conversion? A lot of work for a horde army I know, but it's a labour of love!

IMG_3692.jpg.5fa50497335e1679a4c45040a7082240.jpg

• Like 3