"Tabling" in the Pitched Battles Battlepack

Christopher Rowe

Question

I'm looking for the rule, either in the GHB '21 or in the Core Rules, that states that a given game is over when one player has no more models on the table (I'm guessing with a Major Victory being credited to their opposition). I'm 99% positive it's there, but I just can't put my finger on it for some reason. 

After my game yesterday, I started wondering about scoring and objectives, and I realized that there are certain (rare) cases where a player taking the first turn in round five could have all of their models removed in that turn, but still win the game if their opponent is unable to catch up on Victory Points in their remaining turn, during which, presumably, they'd be running all over the place trying to score more points. This seems goofy on the face of it, thus my question.

4 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Christopher Rowe said:

I'm looking for the rule, either in the GHB '21 or in the Core Rules, that states that a given game is over when one player has no more models on the table (I'm guessing with a Major Victory being credited to their opposition). I'm 99% positive it's there, but I just can't put my finger on it for some reason. 

After my game yesterday, I started wondering about scoring and objectives, and I realized that there are certain (rare) cases where a player taking the first turn in round five could have all of their models removed in that turn, but still win the game if their opponent is unable to catch up on Victory Points in their remaining turn, during which, presumably, they'd be running all over the place trying to score more points. This seems goofy on the face of it, thus my question.

I'm 90% certain there is no such rule, and the player with models on the table gets to continue scoring points unopposed.  

The game is won by scoring more points and winning on objectives, not by killing more of the other army. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KrispyXIV said:

I'm 90% certain there is no such rule, and the player with models on the table gets to continue scoring points unopposed.  

The game is won by scoring more points and winning on objectives, not by killing more of the other army. 

Correct 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:15 PM, Christopher Rowe said:

and I realized that there are certain (rare) cases

Bit late to the party, but those cases are not that rare at all… low model count army being outflanked, sometimes it is over end of round 3.

the chosen turn tactics might help you score extra, increasing objective value etc. but in certain Battleplans if your opponent is able to bog you down and score all for three turn and maybe deny a turn objective (kill warlord) with a sneaky redeploy… 

Edited by Honk