Building FEC monster mash in 3.0

Big Rob

Hi all, 

With the rules and points finally out, it looks like monsters are finally more competitive. From a list theory perspective, how would one go about building a monster mash list centred around zombie dragons?

For example: if I go the FEC Gristlegore  direction, should I focus on having each non-hero monster babysat by a hero (for command abilities, 6+ save, etc)? Or should I just maximize my monsters for max scoring units? Which non-monster units would best complement the monsters? Or are the SBGL Avengori melee defense bonuses just better than Gristlegore exploding 6s?

Anyway all thoughts appreciated! 

• LOVE IT! 1

On 6/20/2021 at 2:47 AM, Big Rob said:

Or should I just maximize my monsters for max scoring units?

Yes / No / a bit 🤣

Warscroll builder is not updated, but GkoTg (general), Regent & infernal, 4 Dragons… if my brain carried the right 1, 2k on the dot!

Linebraker or command entourage 

as Support heroes infernals are fast enough to keep up, summon a varghulf or another infernal (breath attack for overwatch)

if you want TGs you‘re in trouble point wise… but with two dragons and a Tg, you could get another infernal for the second battalion and still have roughly 100 Points left, or a king or even a regent 🙀 they could keep up when running, maybe king for the specific spell

• 4 weeks later...

What I am looking at running for Flesh Eater Courts is a Warlord Battalion with Archregeant, Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, Crypt Ghast Courtier, and MSU of Ghouls alongside a Linebreaker Battalion with Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon and two Terrorgheists. Throw in the Charnel Throne and Chalice of Ushoran and that comes out to 1980 points.

It seems to be a little harder to sneak in a Warlord Battalion for Soulblight. I'm looking at either running Linebreaker with Lauka Vai, Vengorian Lord, VLoZD, 2xMSU Dire Wolves and 2x Terrorgheists with Chronomatic Cogs and Emerald Lifeswarm or a similar list that drops the VLoZD, Dire Wolves, and Endless Spells for Big Drogg Fort Kicka and an riderless Zombie Dragon. I wonder if Soulblight can play at their full potential without Zombies or Skeletons, even Avengorii has faction rules for them.

Edited by Schurge

I'm fairly certain that battleline Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons lose their Behemoth status, becoming troops. So they don't go in to Linebreaker or Alpha Beast pack. 

The fact you can't trigger more than one ability per dice roll also neuters Gristlegore somewhat, as we lost the MWs plus extra hits for Terrorgheists.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

I'm fairly certain that battleline Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons lose their Behemoth status, becoming troops. So they don't go in to Linebreaker or Alpha Beast pack. 

That would explain why you can't put them in those detachments in Battlescribe. Thought it was an oversight. On the other hand you can on the GW builder...

On 7/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, Liquidsteel said:

Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons lose their Behemoth status,

🤔 I thought they only don‘t count against the behemoth limit… faq20 so you could built 2k lists with 5-6 TGs

the loss of exploding 6s is a bummer, but maybe it puts the ZD in better spot against the TG.

but a regent, ghast, gkozd with 3x10 ghouls and three Tgs and cogs could go all the courts with summoned hero support.

In blisterskin with +4“ movement and +2“ charge

in gristlegore the ZDs get a buff and you could go crazy, throw out the ghouls and get another beauty, throw out the ghast (chalice) or make him wizzard-general 🤔

I don’t know about battalions

don’t think Tg/Zd count as troops for the warlord battalion. Linebreaker and Vanguard are doable 🧐 should still be fun

1 hour ago, Honk said:

🤔 I thought they only don‘t count against the behemoth limit… faq20 so you could built 2k lists with 5-6 TGs

the loss of exploding 6s is a bummer, but maybe it puts the ZD in better spot against the TG.

but a regent, ghast, gkozd with 3x10 ghouls and three Tgs and cogs could go all the courts with summoned hero support.

In blisterskin with +4“ movement and +2“ charge

in gristlegore the ZDs get a buff and you could go crazy, throw out the ghouls and get another beauty, throw out the ghast (chalice) or make him wizzard-general 🤔

I don’t know about battalions

don’t think Tg/Zd count as troops for the warlord battalion. Linebreaker and Vanguard are doable 🧐 should still be fun

image.png.3021d551c65a32834e3d30edb8bd13e1.png

Here's the core rules, it even uses FEC as the example.

They lose Behemoth.

So you can use them as Troops for Battalions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

Here's the core rules,

The Horror…😱🙀😱.                   (Thx)

But that leaves options for command/vanguard/warlord play 🤔 and the option to field 5+

I tried menagerie in 2.0, it was fun but not competitive…. looks the same now, awesome game, great fun, but probably not too high up in scoring

Edited by Honk

Yeah the mounted version are just so much better, for an extra 140 points you get all the benefits of being a hero (actions), the spell casting, extra attacks etc

I do plan to give FEC a whirl at some point, probably double King, Archregent, Varghulf and some flayers and ghouls in blisterskin

25 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

some flayers

😱 UNLEEEAAAASHHHH HELLL 😱

thinking about :

2xRegent, GkoTg ,Infernal

2x6 Flayer,10ghouls ( 120pts left)

against hordes the stampede or maybe chalice and barricade. Warlord and Vanguard Battalion 

Lots of spells, lots of summoning, fast and brutal