Can the Sanctum of Amyntok move?

Gargamel196

Question

I think most people say it can, but I just read a discussion in an FB group where a player insists it can not. The argument is that the rules for the Sanctum says it uses the casters warscroll and also the endless spell rules. The Sanctum is not a predatory endless spell, and only predatory endless spells can move. Therefore the sanctum cannot move as per the endless spell rules. 

Any thougts?

10 answers to this question

I think it can move with the caster.

I agree that strictly RAW it could be argued that it can't move, but if that was the intention I think the warscroll would say. Best case comparison is the Balewind Vortex, where the warscroll description specifically says that "A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex cannot move." This clarifying sentence would be redundant if all non predatory endless spells couldn't move.

32 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

The Stormcast Dias Arcanum is similar to the Balewind, however that one specifically says the caster has a move of 12” and can fly when on it.

im inclined to believe until stated otherwise that the Sanctum can’t move, which renders the endless spell not very useful as all the Lumineth wizards who can cast it want to be moving and staying close to other units

Thinking about this further, surely the sentence about moving 12” and fly is there because it is a buff to the caster’s regular movement on their warscroll (most stormcast wizards are slow and don’t fly).
Personally I’m still of the opinion the sanctum can move.

I agree with you both. But nonetheless some people will argue against it with the strictly RAW argument. "The Sanctum is not a predatory endless spell, and only predatory endless spells can move. Full stop, discussion ended".  Its hard to convince them otherwise. 

Tho in the sanctum description it says it is "treated as being a single model using the caster's warscroll as well as the Endless Spells rules."

The caster has a move characteristic on it's warscroll, so it can move.

Could also be argued, that the reference to only being able to move predatory endless spells, refers only to the move made at the start of the hero phase (I don't own the Malign Sorcery supplement to check on this.)

On 3/28/2021 at 10:19 PM, GrimDork said:

I think it can move with the caster.

I agree that strictly RAW it could be argued that it can't move, but if that was the intention I think the warscroll would say. Best case comparison is the Balewind Vortex, where the warscroll description specifically says that "A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex cannot move." This clarifying sentence would be redundant if all non predatory endless spells couldn't move.

The Stormcast Dias Arcanum is similar to the Balewind, however that one specifically says the caster has a move of 12” and can fly when on it.

im inclined to believe until stated otherwise that the Sanctum can’t move, which renders the endless spell not very useful as all the Lumineth wizards who can cast it want to be moving and staying close to other units

2 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Unless they’re a lone scinari loreseeker who’s been set up on an objective 😉

• Like 1