Can the Flesh Eaters be competitive?

Demenzia

Welcome and YEA THEY CAN!!!

FCE are amazing in my opinion but you need to see thier true strength. The GHB scenarios revolve, for the most part, around claiming objectives by having models near them (or more models then your opponent). You have an army with regeneration abilities: of you play to scenarios then you camp a ghoul patrol on an objective and do your best to brace the enemy. Between their save, the Death Grand Alliance save, and possibly a wight king save, those guys can be tough to displace. At the very least, to wipe a unit will require more resources from your opponent then you put into it :)

Three words: Ghoul Patrol battalion.

Your ghouls are your bread and butter, and anything that allows you to chuck a bunch of them onto an objective and camp it, with regeneration and a fairly solid defence, is golden for scenario play. It's fairly expensive (clocking in at a minimum of 480 points, and ideally 780 as you want 20-strong ghoul packs), chewing up a solid third of your points, but if you tailor everything around it being your core and using Flayers for speedy shock troops, a Gheist for target saturation, a few kings on foot for Mystic Shield and buffs, a few Ghasts to keep them replenished...

F.E.C. can definitely win games at a very high level, but it requires finesse and firm tactics. Just don't get tempted to take "the cool thing" that breaks your synergy, and have a clear and dedicated strategy, and you got a massive sustain to allow you a strong lategame other armies can only dream of.

Im not great at tournaments so take this with a grain of salt, but GK on Terror Gheist next to a GK on Zombie Dragon is amazing. Rerolls plus one of them has a 5 up ward save spell...

DeGriggs already mentioned the regeneration.. but imagine that unit of ghould with the 5+ word save...

15 minutes ago, WillofNagash said:

Im not great at tournaments so take this with a grain of salt, but GK on Terror Gheist next to a GK on Zombie Dragon is amazing. Rerolls plus one of them has a 5 up ward save spell...

DeGriggs already mentioned the regeneration.. but imagine that unit of ghould with the 5+ word save...

I use them both too. The GKonT as general. Really badass ones together

Many thanks for your replies!

At the moment I have the FEC Start collecting box, 50 GW ghouls and some Heresy's ghouls (these will be my ghast courtiers). Tomorrow I will collect the King Vlagorescu box so I think I will have enough models to build a decent list.

Thanatos Ares, I like your list, maybe some day I have all those behemoths and play a Royal Menagerie formation ;)

I'm not even sure they do require finesse (cf. Sylvaneth, Seraphon, Stormcast, Tzeentch). They are more subtle than Ogres. They work very well as a sledgehammer. Ben (Thanatos above @Thanatos Ares has been unstoppable with his 4 Flappies list (Royal Menagerie). 

More generally a block of 9 or 12 Crypt Horrors with all the buffs and Vanhel's Danse Macabre with models coming back is going to be incredibly hard to stop.

If anything it's playing against them that requires finesse and especially target selection.

Archived