Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 3:02 AM, LuminethMage said:

Today I finished painting my first 1,000 points of Lumineth. Really happy that I was able to keep going so far. To get to 2,000 I need to paint Teclis (gulp), 20 more Sentinels (archers), a Cathaller and the Twinstone Endless Spell. Teclis will be last. 

So I have finished my October goal. 20 Sentinels and the Cathallar are the next goal. 

IMG_7899.jpg

Great job, I wish I could make that kind of progress...they look great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eldarain said:

What about a spike? Would look good and might be easier to source

That was my second thought as well. But stormcast have a weird ‘blocky’ style. And just couldn’t find that either. 
I ended up with the back end of an axe handle from the hunter champion. So it’s the same style, has a bit of flourish to it and fits in size. 

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Or another axe head? I mean - why not go full in? : ) 

The most important part (and the reason for the "love it") about this photo though is the beer bottle in the background, good choice! 

Haha thought about adding a blade or axe but he started looking like an anime character. and yes that search required a beer for motivation. I did end up cleaning over 40 sprues, so it was a nice space saver as well. No to reorder the bits box. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, hughwyeth said:

Finally had some time to make some progress! Had a month and a bit of a lot of work with no hobby time, but this week i had enough time to finish 1 of my 3 skyfires!

DSCF8896.jpg

DSCF8897.jpg

DSCF8900.jpg

DSCF8901.jpg

IMG_20201016_111028.jpg

IMG_20201016_121835.jpg

That eye in the disk! 😍

the whole model looks amazing. So good! 

• Like 2

I know I've been mostly painting Beasts of Chaos on here but I found the time to finish up all the large dinos in my Seraphon army.

Welcome to Jurassic Park! 

20201018_172416.jpg.7f47c58c375941cca41dc524058957b1.jpg 

They're moving in herds...

20201018_173027.jpg.5bf199d65b53fc9aaeae11e23cdc2c9a.jpg

They do move in herds!

20201018_173041.jpg.2aa97122395d372480f3d4e299a39c0d.jpg

I'm actually nearing the end of my Seraphon army.  I only have 30-some Saurus Warriors and 5 Saurus Knights to go until they are complete!  Its a similar situation with my Beasts (only 10 ungors and 30 gors to go)!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

39 minutes ago, Kamose said:

I know I've been mostly painting Beasts of Chaos on here but I found the time to finish up all the large dinos in my Seraphon army.

Welcome to Jurassic Park! 

20201018_172416.jpg.7f47c58c375941cca41dc524058957b1.jpg 

They're moving in herds...

20201018_173027.jpg.5bf199d65b53fc9aaeae11e23cdc2c9a.jpg

They do move in herds!

20201018_173041.jpg.2aa97122395d372480f3d4e299a39c0d.jpg

I'm actually nearing the end of my Seraphon army.  I only have 30-some Saurus Warriors and 5 Saurus Knights to go until they are complete!  Its a similar situation with my Beasts (only 10 ungors and 30 gors to go)!

Great stuff, poor little guy, running away from Seraphon - into a herd of Gors : ) 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Kramer said:

Id take those chances. 

Unfortunately for little Alan there, he's only got a 6+ save and a bow and arrows; my Gor herd is 60 strong.  I'd give the Gors no more than 3 full turns before they finally take him out.  No doubt he'll finish off 20, maybe 25 of them (most of them if they don't have the shield) but my money's on the Gors.

• Haha 5

On 10/22/2020 at 12:41 PM, Kamose said:

Unfortunately for little Alan there, he's only got a 6+ save and a bow and arrows; my Gor herd is 60 strong.  I'd give the Gors no more than 3 full turns before they finally take him out.  No doubt he'll finish off 20, maybe 25 of them (most of them if they don't have the shield) but my money's on the Gors.

haha okay, fair play to you and the Gor herd. You win this one. 😂

(still think it's more efficient for your goatherd to throw themselves on the fire, wait for a jabberslythe to arrive, and then for Alan to stab it and burn himself to death.)

Edited by Kramer

Getting close boys, girls and elves. Only seven more days to the month. 
How's everybody faring?

I'm still off by building 1,5 Vanguard Raptor. But I can't figure out a cool reposing for the last. Did start painting on the Lord-Aquilor, Lord Arcanum and the Raptor prime. so swings and roundabouts for me. 

Good that you are making progress! I’ve slowed down a bit after finishing 1,000 points which was basically what I had in mind for this month. Today I’m planning to assemble Teclis. He is the last piece I have to build for my 2,000 list. 

After that, I have to decide to paint more or assemble more. How is everyone’s experience with spray priming, at what low temperature does that get iffy? Where I live it tends to get quite cold and dry over the winter.

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

Going well. Found a few Warriors I somehow glued the wrong  arm on so had to swap those out.

Priming works best in those circumstances when I get everything prepped inside where it's warm. Shake the living hell out of the can and only step out and prime once everything is gtg. It doesn't get oppressively cold here but I find humidity a larger obstacle to temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Going well. Found a few Warriors I somehow glued the wrong  arm on so had to swap those out.

Priming works best in those circumstances when I get everything prepped inside where it's warm. Shake the living hell out of the can and only step out and prime once everything is gtg. It doesn't get oppressively cold here but I find humidity a larger obstacle to temperature.

Thank you! I’m living on the 16th floor, and have to walk a bit to get to a good spot, so there is always a bit of time between the prep phase and the execution phase, lol. 

5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Good that you are making progress! I’ve slowed down a bit after finishing 1,000 points which was basically what I had in mind for this month. Today I’m planning to assemble Teclis. He is the last piece I have to build for my 2,000 list. 

After that, I have to decide to paint more or assemble more. How is everyone’s experience with spray priming, at what low temperature does that get iffy? Where I live it tends to get quite cold and dry over the winter.

Oh man, that’s a nice finisher. 

i never tried it but there are brush on primers if the rattle can really lose their mojo. 
I personally started building just about everything I want to paint to finish this project. Although I must admit I might need to spend some more nights to build other things to get through the next two/three months. The Netherlands don’t get that cold anymore but i can’t let them dry in doors with the kid running around. 

• Thanks 1

I’m around 2 hours into Teclis, and just managed to build him, lol. And lost several liter of sweat, and a few drops of blood in the process : ). Celennar doesn’t look as difficult though. 

Because you mentioned fiddly bits, Teclis is next level compared to the other Lumineth. The items on his belt pretty much break by looking at them. I haven’t done any of the other big models, so I don’t know if that’s special, or just normal for these. 

14 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I’m around 2 hours into Teclis, and just managed to build him, lol. And lost several liter of sweat, and a few drops of blood in the process : ). Celennar doesn’t look as difficult though. 

Because you mentioned fiddly bits, Teclis is next level compared to the other Lumineth. The items on his belt pretty much break by looking at them. I haven’t done any of the other big models, so I don’t know if that’s special, or just normal for these. 

Haha elven models being frail and delicate? Who would have thought? ;) 

although the blood sacrifice usually is more of an DoK thing. 

• Haha 1

I managed to procrastinate building the final vanguard raptor to such an extent that I finished painting the raptor prime  and now I’m working on the lord arcanum and lord aquilor.

i originally wanted to paint the dracolines like panthers  but now that I’m looking at it. Black beast with a black armoured rider doesn’t seem so good. My gryph chargers are chocobo yellow, so I’m not doing that. 
I am leaning towards a warmer color. Maybe tiger orange with stripes or spots? Maybe faded yellow orange like a jaguar? 
don’t really like the blueish grey from the stock models. 

A8BA84B1-EE2A-4848-9895-B70E929C670F.jpeg.6c0e962f1187b0278a5e5c16d6c9f8b6.jpeg
678AE5F2-F192-4693-BB8F-84FE7635566A.jpeg.d98b735acc17cc8106c79668c0b4e45f.jpeg
(painted both rims black in the meantime.)

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Eldarain said:

If I ever bought some I thought I'd do them as Snow Leopards. Bright but neutral for complementing a scheme and the markings would look great yet aren't overly complex to execute.

14_wild_cat_2_tif_.jpg

Oh that’s cool! 
I might just do this! First I’ll try it on a gryph hound I think. 

thank you.

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

Always a good idea to take a test run. I think the key will be glazing the fur colors over the spots to avoid them looking too "painted on" despite that literally being the case ;)

Not sure how familiar you are with that but I found tattoo tutorials helpful for the concept.

51 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Always a good idea to take a test run. I think the key will be glazing the fur colors over the spots to avoid them looking too "painted on" despite that literally being the case ;)

Not sure how familiar you are with that but I found tattoo tutorials helpful for the concept.

Yeah my thought now is to try it both with contrast over a darker mix for the spots as it’s nicely translucent. 

or like my stonehorn with regular paints. but it’s going to take some trying with the light colours. 

i really like how there is a bit of orange in the white fur. Also I have more gryph hounds than I’ll ever play 😅

also on a side note. I just ruined my lord aquilor. Or put a finishing detail on the model that helps tell the story. 
born from losing that small broche while undercoating it. Blew away somewhere in the garden 😒

Edited by Kramer
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Frustrating but I commend your narrative efforts to steer into it.

Well. It can yet go either way.

He will either be as misshapen as the hunchback of the notredame but with a golden heart. 
or he will wear in addition to his Decimators axe, the decimators shoulder guard. 

i snipped off one arm before checking if that is easily replicated on the other side  😅 Because to fit the decimators shoulder piece I needed to create some extra space between his shoulder and torso. 

Edited by Kramer

On 10/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, Kramer said:

Getting close boys, girls and elves. Only seven more days to the month. 
How's everybody faring?

Can I lie and say I've painted 70 billion armies? ;)

Okay so in reality October has been a terrible month for me hobby wise thanks to the wonderful distractions of video games (namely Balders Gate 3 and Black Desert) And then I also kind of got distracted painting a hellcannon up for my StD AoA hero...

I do at least have a drycha built and a bunch of dryads secondhand that I'm hoping to begin doing some work on for November.

I am loving seeing everyone else's submissions though, helps remind and inspire me about this project!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kramer said:

It's the only way to become a succesful politician it seems. So if it works there, why not here ;) 

Drycha seems a pain to built? Or isn't it?

She's fairly chill to build actually, I've left her little body and front piece off to paint separately, as I learnt from my drycha demon prince conversion that that's not easy to paint all stuck together!

Super nice model too.

• Like 1