Greywater Fastness 1k list

TheRealSigmar

I’ve been really considering going for a full artillery/ranged army for some time, and as I’ve got a ton of old empire models, cities of Sigmar seemed like a good option. This is something that I’ve come up with, sounds like it could be quite fun, but not sure how competitive it would be in reality. Thoughts and feedback on this appreciated.

Freeguild General

Cogsmith

20x Freeguild Handgunners

Helblaster Volley Gun

Helblaster Volley Gun

Total - 1000

Edited by TheRealSigmar

14 minutes ago, TheRealSigmar said:

I’ve been really considering going for a full artillery/ranged army for some time, and as I’ve got a ton of old empire models, cities of Sigmar seemed like a good option. This is something that I’ve come up with, sounds like it could be quite fun, but not sure how competitive it would be in reality. Thoughts and feedback on this appreciated.

Freeguild General

Cogsmith

Helblaster Volley Gun

Helblaster Volley Gun

Total - 1000

It would be a all or nothing kind of game. Get the double when in range and your golden. Draw a scenario where you are forced to move fast and you’re screwed. 
but in the end it’s a fun thematic list that will occasionally lead to a non game.  But hey, it’s a dice game so that happens anyway. 

Competitively, this is a somewhat poor army.  You only have guns, and all your guys are slow.  Additionally, everyone wants to stay clumped up, so a mission that has spread out objectives is going to be more difficult to win.  However, there is a solution to the second part, while keeping with your desire to stick with an all ranged army.

Remove one block of handgunners and replace it with 2 units of 5 outriders.  The outriders have similar damage potential as unbuffed handgunners, and have the ability to rapidly move to take objectives while your main force moves its deathstar forwards.

You are still going to struggle in that you are playing an all-ranged army and sometimes that just doesn't work out well for you, and other times you are going to get a double turn and just delete your opponent.  But it does at least make it so that you aren't so badly hindered on the objective game.

• Like 1

I have made a revised list to include some shield. Thoughts?

Freeguild General
Battlemage

Cogsmith

Freeguild Handgunners x10

Longbeards w/ shields x20

Helblaster Volleygun

Helblaster Volleygun 

Total - 1010

• Like 1

Agreed with others: Some outriders would solve a lot of problems this list might encounter, while not diluting Greywater theme in any way. Or maybe a pair of gyrocopters. You need something fast, too many battleplans rely on movement. And longbeards without any other duardin to buffs are a bit wasted.

Handgunner base with generals' buffs might be an unmovable center, but it won't do much if enemy can just sit on objectives outside of their range.

Also, helstorms tend to perform better than hellblasters, but that's your call.

• Like 1

yeah! I’m with @dekay gyrocopters for the win. Or maybe one gyrocopter and one unit of pistolier? 
so maybe:

C38F5932-D27E-49C2-B5B8-FD573E420AFE.jpeg.0925b86331c75cd90380801d50797fde.jpeg

You put a battlemage in your last list, which I changed to a runelord for the prayer and still have magic protection. But that is a one on one swap to what you prefer. Your cogsmith would need to become the general though.