Pre-planning next project

I beseech ye people of The Grand Alliance, I’m making some solid headway with my current project and want to start budgeting for my next.  I need your help narrowing down my options. 

Here is the kicker though, I hate to retread old ground so I would like work on something different with each hobby project. So I have conditions for what I’m open to. I’m looking for either a Chaos or Order army with a focus on shooting or anti-magic. The list I’m gonna be collecting is gonna 2000 points.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than me help me narrow down an Alliance or list?  Very much open for discussion about it too.

P.S. I already collect Death as a Grand Alliance and my current project is Oggur Mawtribe, so that’s why I would like to branch out with the others.

• Like 1

If steampunk dwarfs are your cup of tea then Kharadron Overlords seem to fit the bill for a shooty anti-magic project. Apparently the Start Collecting box is now a good buy since the new battletome came out, so that's an easy place to start. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about KO can advise on a specific list. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:40 PM, Sputnik said:

If steampunk dwarfs are your cup of tea then Kharadron Overlords seem to fit the bill for a shooty anti-magic project. Apparently the Start Collecting box is now a good buy since the new battletome came out, so that's an easy place to start. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about KO can advise on a specific list. 

I was thinking about them but I get the feeling it might be a bit tough to get both going as much I would like.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:47 PM, Hannibal said:

A City of Sigmar army with some Stormcast Eternals and/or Kharadrons will give you some good shooting options. Or you can go full Stormcast Eternals (ie "Shootcast").

Stormcast had not even crossed my mind. Thanks, I’ll have a bit of a mess around on azyr.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:30 PM, Tibus367 said:

Of course Khorne is the most obvious anti magic Chaos faction imaginable.  Unless you are counting prayers and judgments.  More model choices than almost every other faction.  Not very shooty though.

Looking through their options. There is a lot of anti magic in there. Also I don’t count prayers as magic 🙂

• Like 1

I really like the first one with the Tzeentch Brayherd, both fitting in the randomness of chaos to use Tzeentch's magic to Stop magic and it's over-the-top with three Endless Spells to dominate with. Might AND Magic! :D

Another note seeing you already have Death and Ogors is to remember the mercenaries which gives three options with death (Flesh-Eaters, Deathrattle and Blood knights) and Gutstuffer ogors to mix with your forces.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/the-generals-handbook-2019-mercenary-companiesgw-homepage-post-2/

If that gets you to really enjoy mix-and-matching armies then definitely put Stormcasts and Cities of Sigmar on the horizon since they have so many combinable options.

Plus you can look into Seraphon, go Starborne for space dinosaurs dominating magic or jungly Coalesced and swarm with Skink shooters that can now ally with Sylvaneth for even more shooting if their Stormcast allies weren't enough to drown the enemy in celestial bolts. ;)

Edited by Baron Klatz

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I really like the first one with the Tzeentch Brayherd, both fitting in the randomness of chaos to use Tzeentch's magic to Stop magic and it's over-the-top with three Endless Spells to dominate with. Might AND Magic! :D

Another note seeing you already have Death and Ogors is to remember the mercenaries which gives three options with death (Flesh-Eaters, Deathrattle and Blood knights) and Gutstuffer ogors to mix with your forces.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/the-generals-handbook-2019-mercenary-companiesgw-homepage-post-2/

If that gets you to really enjoy mix-and-matching armies then definitely put Stormcasts and Cities of Sigmar on the horizon since they have so many combinable options.

Plus you can look into Seraphon, go Starborne for space dinosaurs dominating magic or jungly Coalesced and swarm with Skink shooters that can now ally with Sylvaneth for even more shooting if their Stormcast allies weren't enough to drown the enemy in celestial bolts. ;)

Never thought of Seraphon tbh, I’m gonna be getting the battle tome soon so I’ll see what I can do with some scaly bois. I’m fiddling with lists still.

Theory crafting some ranged lists atm.

• Like 1

The Blight king one is nasty, if you use them then you should give them a sea/nautical theme because you're opponent wil be drowning in that bile. Yuck. xD

Ranged Cities is pretty plain considering how crazy you could go like Living City steamtanks that has Ironoak Artisan giving your lead tank a save bonus while the others can ambush the enemy by appearing off the board edges backed up by Kurnoth hunters and Knight-Azyros to buff their shooting accuracy. Though I see you are using the duardin heroes for that anti-magic flavor you also wanted so that's a nice touch.

58 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

The Blight king one is nasty, if you use them then you should give them a sea/nautical theme because you're opponent wil be drowning in that bile. Yuck. xD

Ranged Cities is pretty plain considering how crazy you could go like Living City steamtanks that has Ironoak Artisan giving your lead tank a save bonus while the others can ambush the enemy by appearing off the board edges backed up by Kurnoth hunters and Knight-Azyros to buff their shooting accuracy. Though I see you are using the duardin heroes for that anti-magic flavor you also wanted so that's a nice touch.

I feel I have not tapped into CoS as much I could. I am quite proud of the Nurgle on though. Never thought you could make a ranged Nurgle list 😁

27 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Me neither. Careful, don't want the grandfather's blessing for showing him new ways to spread his "children" around. ;)

I'm wondering if it'd be possible with Clans Pestilens thrown in. (Not sure if they can take ranged weapons)

Made a bit of an edit and a trio of plague claw catapults can be thrown in.

Ranged%20Nurgle%20%32.pdf

On 3/27/2020 at 2:36 AM, Avatar Rage said:

Another ranged list (quarantine is not helping).

Says the fellow who started quarantine by weaponizing Nurgle bile. xD

I like the list those. Maximum mobility with Grundstok thunderers to lay down the firepower while the crews hitch a ride to where they need to be.

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:36 AM, Avatar Rage said:

Another ranged list (quarantine is not helping).

Duradin%20fleet.pdf 1.37 MB · 3 downloads

Loving the list, however I would recommend bringing along a few Endrinriggers to keep the ships alive, especially the ironclad as it is a very big target. They can also dish out some pretty good shooting if you equip it with volley gun and drill cannon, which are very good shooting options. The arkanauts are onna be slow but you can work around that. It's funny as the admiral is not often used, being a little lackluster. The gyros are going to be amazing, and will probably be shooting the mot if you count the gyrocopter steam guns as shooting.

12 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Loving the list, however I would recommend bringing along a few Endrinriggers to keep the ships alive, especially the ironclad as it is a very big target. They can also dish out some pretty good shooting if you equip it with volley gun and drill cannon, which are very good shooting options. The arkanauts are onna be slow but you can work around that. It's funny as the admiral is not often used, being a little lackluster. The gyros are going to be amazing, and will probably be shooting the mot if you count the gyrocopter steam guns as shooting.

I’ll have a mess around with that list and see what I can do with it.