Path of the Changer

Changer

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My area don't really do 1000 points, but it's something I can work towards.  Something like:

Tzaangor Shaman - 120

Gaunt Summoner and Familiars - 120

10 Tzaangor - 180

3 Skyfires - 160

3 Enlightened - 160

Tzaangor Coven - 40

10 Pink Horrors - 140

10 Blue Horrors - 50

Comes to 970 points, and gives me plenty to be painting, and still 3 wizard units that can between them cast between 4 and 5 spells a turn.

Now thats a nice list. Might consider using that, unless the start collecting box we eventually get disagrees, thanks! I have been mulling over it for a while now and I just couldn't get a handle on what I thought would work best. You could drop the familiars from the GS and add brimstones?

Also what are your thoughts on fitting blue and pink horrors in a colour scheme that's not particularly blue or pink?

3 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Now thats a nice list. Might consider using that, unless the start collecting box we eventually get disagrees, thanks! I have been mulling over it for a while now and I just couldn't get a handle on what I thought would work best. You could drop the familiars from the GS and add brimstones?

Also what are your thoughts on fitting blue and pink horrors in a colour scheme that's not particularly blue or pink?

If I'm going to drop the 20 points on the Familiars I'd add another 10 blue Horrors as they're much better than the brimstones IMO.

Edit: thinking about it, if anything I'd probably drop the Enlightened and lose the Coven. Add in another 3 skyfires and another 10 blue horrors. That gives me 36 models making shooting attacks, and keeps the number of spells high too.

As for the colour schemes, I think it really depends on what the colour scheme was. At the end of the day Tzeentch doesn't need to stick to any particular colour, more so than the other chaos gods. The horrors are sufficiently different in size to differentiate them should you wish to go down that route. I'm going to go for the more traditional pink and blue, but both will have purple hands, tails etc in parts like on the heralds and Tzaangor to keep roughly to the theme.

34 minutes ago, Deathadder99 said:

Sorry to ask for paint recipes again, but would you mind sharing which colours you used on the wood here? Also, what colours did you use for the Tzaangor hooves? Black -> Screaming Skull -> Ushabti -> white?
IMG_1622.JPG

The wood was the old Calthan Brown, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the newer paints. This was shaded with black in the recesses, and then a few layers with more and more ushabti bone. Finally a diluted wash of Agrax Eathshade as it became too 'boney'.

The hooves are the same as all of the talons and teeth I've done.

Rhinox Hide all over.

Calthan Brown in stripes leaving some of the previous layer showing.

Same again with Ushabti Bone, then Screaming Skull, and finally White.

Fair enough. I'm toying with trying a witchfyre coven to maximise shooting but it may be too squishy without a tzaangor block. And ok thanks. I was thinking of using a dark grey flesh tone, with my metal being a dark eldar esque dark green/blue, with worn brass/copper trim (warplock, nuln oil, drybrush runefang, drybrush hatshut). Then I was thinking of adding white tattoos of flame coming up from the hands and feet, with the hands and feet being white. For humans I was planning a predominantly black skin tone. I guess I could still do grey skinned horrors and blend out to pink and blue on their limbs and tentacles.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The new Tzaangor kits are simply amazing. They are exactly what a plastic kit should be: easy to put together with loads of options and variation. Next to no cleanup required and they look incredible. I've magnetised the votexes below to discs to the discs themselves for easy of transportation, and easy of painting. I've deliberately attached them at angles to make the discs look like they're actually zig-zagging too. I'm really happy with them and can't wait to paint them.

Ive also taken new pictures of everything else that is painted as I noticed I didn't have anything with the snow bases completed. I'm a little annoyed how dark they came out as I had two daylight bulbs on them, but I think that's more to do with my lack of photography knowledge more than anything else.

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

10 hours ago, Changer said:

The new Tzaangor kits are simply amazing. They are exactly what a plastic kit should be: easy to put together with loads of options and variation. Next to no cleanup required and they look incredible. I've magnetised the votexes below to discs to the discs themselves for easy of transportation, and easy of painting. I've deliberately attached them at angles to make the discs look like they're actually zig-zagging too. I'm really happy with them and can't wait to paint them.

Ive also taken new pictures of everything else that is painted as I noticed I didn't have anything with the snow bases completed. I'm a little annoyed how dark they came out as I had two daylight bulbs on them, but I think that's more to do with my lack of photography knowledge more than anything else.

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

Simply amazing stuff.  Well done, very inspirational. 

On 18/12/2016 at 10:17 PM, Changer said:

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

Last question (I hope). This is all ridiculously inspiring as I'm going thru my own Tzaangors. What colours did you do for the edge highlights on the shields? Fenrisian Grey/Screaming skill mix to straight screaming skull?

Edit: Found it!

The Screamers follow the same recipe as my blue armour - Kantor Blue, washed with 50:50 Kantor:Black, Kantor Blue, blended with Altdorf Guard Blue, through to Fenrisian Grey, then final highlights of 50:50 (50:50 Altdorf Guard Blue:Fenrisian Grey):White.

Also, how do you do the feathers and the spiky fur bits on the chest? You shared the blending for the yellow -> blue earlier, but the yellow? Is it just flash gits washed with sepia and highlighted with white?

12 minutes ago, Deathadder99 said:

Also, how do you do the feathers and the spiky fur bits on the chest? You shared the blending for the yellow -> blue earlier, but the yellow? Is it just flash gits washed with sepia and highlighted with white?

Pretty much this.  Adding screaming skull to the yellow bit by bit and then a dot of pure white.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it. I've finally finished Magnus. Turned into a bit of a slog in the end. Those damned wings took about 3 hours per side and nearly broke me.

Here he is in all of his glory. Magnus / Lord of Change for AoS. Dwarf team next, then back to Tzaangors!

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

This is a really inspiring army. I particularly like the way you have blended the yellow into the blue and managed really excellent photos. I've dug out my abandoned tzeentch daemons after purchasing and painting up the new old of change and this  is seriously making me want to pick up some tzangors. Magnus is immense!

Cheers guys. Magnus took about 60 hours in total since Christmas. Fortunately I have a really understanding wife (who bought me the model as a surprise) who is ok with me painting in the evening.  The main thing for me was to just break it down bit by bit and taking my time.

The Dwarf blood bowl team is going to be a nice change of pace before jumping back into the Tzeentch force again.

• 2 weeks later...

So a combination of my son being ill, work, and being burnt out a little with painting has resulted in me completing just six of the twelve Dwarfs for my blood bowl team. I have had a blast painting them, but I'm looking forward to getting my Tzeentch on again. I think once the team is done I'm going to make a start on the discs for the enlightened and skyfires and get those units done before moving back to the block of 20 Tzaangor.

Because of everything above, I've only had one game this year and that was 40k! I've got my first 2000 point game lined up for Thursday against Beastclaw Raiders. Hopefully Tzeentch will see me through.

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

23 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

That is super crisp. How did you manage the gold?

The gold is so simple. Retributer, washed with reikland, then agrax in the recesses. Then thinned retributer, followed by thinned liberator, edged with silver. The new gold paints really are awesome.

8 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Magnus looks great, miles better than the Eavy Metal colourscheme.

Why have you converted your Skyfires to have spears? o.O

Thanks for the remarks about Magnus. He was a pleasure to paint, and I can't wait to get my hands on a lord of change or two in the future.

Haha. I need three Enlightened to take the Tzaangor Coven. I'm hoping that the pile in on the hero phase will reap rewards.

Well today I put playes my first game with the DoT against a mates Beastclaw Raiders. He opted to go first, failed 2 turn one charges with his stonehorns. I used four destiny dice (two fives and two sixes) to hit and explode with my skyfires. Of the other two, one hit and wounded and he failed his armour. The picture below shows my damage! I managed to delete his Frostlord on Thundertusk in a single turn.

The rest of the game considered in me causing loads of morta wounds in my hero phase, my Ogroid failing to hit anything at all, and my Lord of Change dying because I pushed him into combat Turn 1. Those Stonehorns can kick out tons of wounds even when they've only got 4 wounds left!

All in all a great game. I managed to table my opponent in Turn 2, which coincidentally saw the same Skyfires only put 3 wounds on 2 sabre tusks....

Tzeentch smiles today.

IMG_2891.JPG

Archived