Removal of Undivided Dameon Princes

FERRUMITE

Really I cant understand the justification for it. Be'Lakor was originally just the first Daemon Prince, but now there is a retcon where he is the ONLY Undivided Daemon Prince, and thus restricts us as players and as people who like to make their own narrative with fluffy rules. I hear rumors that ADB might have had a hand in this given rumors that he hates Undivided as a concept. What are your thoughts on all this? And how do we go about getting GW to listen and return the Undivided mark of Chaos to Daemon Princes?

• Like 1

Undivided? More like undecided! And we all know that Tzeentch is best anyways.

Ahem, anyways - I feel like undivided has always been the biggest part of Chaos and should stay just that. I think it's kinda sad to see DPs losing that option but it kinda also makes sense - usually only one God will elevate you, sometimes more than one of them wants you as their minion. This also makes those all-favored dudes like Archaon, Abbadon or Be'Lakor more special.

Not long ago the situation used to be more like Chaos is Undivided and the God-specific guys are usually degenerate freaks. :D With them expanding those aspects into full-blown forces, they also made them a bit less mad and more strategic which in turn makes Undivided much less of a thing than it used to be.

Fluff wise - Be’lakor was the only Undivided DP. After him (or rather after he tried to become mightier than the Gods themself) there has not been any Undivided DP. Mechanically it really is bad that you can not keep the same mark as before (from a buffing/aura perspective) but story vise Undivided DP don’t  make any sense at all (as the lore is currently).

I am not a fan of the loss of Undivided Daemon Princes.  I get the way GW wants to shape the lore that all Daemons are bits of the particular Chaos god's essence which would necessitate it.  Still, it does make the Realm of Chaos/Warp feel smaller.  I much preferred the idea that there is unknown forces (whether lesser Chaos gods or forces that defy human comprehension to even be pigeon-holed as entity like the known gods.  This forces deamons (sans Furies) to a well known entity feels further away from Chaos not closer and makes it so their really are only a handful of different daemons out there instead an unimagined amount.  It makes everything fit in nice little packages that are very easy to understand.  Which I think Chaos should be almost anything but easy to understand and classify.

Again, Belakor is NOW the only Undivided Daemon Prince.  That wasn't case until very recently in Age of Sigmar and wasn't even the case through the entirety of Warhammer 40k.  Again, it is GW going the route that all daemons are part of a Chaos god.  He just happens to be the one that is part of all of the big four.  And Age of Sigmar is doubling down that they along with the Great Horned Rat are the the only remained Chaos gods (Kaine too if you want to count him) now it seems.

As a Slaves to Darkness player, mechanically this idea does interfere with my Undivided army as I think Marks are very important to its success.  Going through with Dark Apotheosis comes with disadvantages beyond is a Daemon Prince actually better than the original unit.  Which fluff wise feels off to me.  I think a Champion of Chaos probably should accept the change since it is well stated there are only 3 outcomes on the Path to Glory (again Chaos strangely has defined rules) with Daemon Prince probably considered the best outcome my most Slaves to Darkness.  I suppose a Champion might understand becoming a Daemon Prince is not the prize it is talked up to be, but what should happen to one that snubs the gods?  By the way, I am very glad it a choice now unlike when I started playing 40k.  I imagine that the gods would probably seek retribution for this slight of declining their gift. 

I very much miss Undivided Daemon Princes.  So much that I suppose I would willing to accept the return/appearance of Malal (or Malice, the non-copyright version) just to have them back.  Again, I would rather Undivided Daemon Princes be a mystery as to why they have been elevated, but it looks like the ship has sailed.  Me, I am going to run a lot less Daemon Princes in my army because of this.

• Like 1