Advice for a (born again) noob!

simonfoley

Hi all

"Born again noob? WTF is he talking about?"  I hear you all ask. Well, WHFB was always a fave of mine but downed tools on it circa 5th ed and have been distracted by 40K and other games since. Have tried AoS and my 12 yr old daughter is interested too. We bought an intro set and have had a few intro games and several games of kitchen table hammer, but an upcoming "Slow Grow" campaign that several local gaming buds are taking part in presents a great opportunity to really get to grips with it. 

I have a small Orruk collection that's now distinctly Ironjawz flavoured, my daughters Stormcast that we both contribute towards the painting and modelling effort of, and some undead. The undead, after wading through fluff on how undead work now and with some advice from peeps on here, is a Legions of Nagash force...probably Legion of Night or something. 

My question (and thus the request for advice as per the title of this topic) is this: Ironjawz, Stromcast or Legion of Nagash - what presents a more straightforward learning curve for someone not currently v familiar with rules beyond a basic knowledge of the framework? 

If you still have your old stuff, maybe Cities? It has just about everything you might want, and most importantly, if you want to do something else, you can just choose a different city, change a few of the units, and go back in.

If you have one or more of:

- Wood Elves

- High Elves

- Dark elves

- Dwarves

- Empire

- Bretonnians

it's easy to find a warscroll that will fit any of the units you can make. Even if you don't want to, they'll be easy doublers, by which I mean sets of legs and torsos that give you essentally double the value of a different set.

Important for this answer: I have 90% cities (plus a few Underworld warbands and a few Stormcast) and cannot make a good answer based on anything else.

• Like 1

It will be Ironjaws. They've got a good battletome, they don't have that many units to choose from, they are as straightforward as it gets gameplay-wise - just run over your opponents. On the other hand Stormcast and Legions demand more experience from a player to build a good list and succesfully use it.

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

If you still have your old stuff, maybe Cities? It has just about everything you might want, and most importantly, if you want to do something else, you can just choose a different city, change a few of the units, and go back in.

If I still had some of the models I had years ago (Would love my mostly metal Perry twins Empire army back again!!) thats a good shout, but as per my post I only have Ironjawz, Stormcast and Legions of Nagash.

The Aesthetics of all of them excite me, so I will paint all of it up. I just wanted something straightforward to help the gameplay flow a little better initially

28 minutes ago, XReN said:

It will be Ironjaws. They've got a good battletome, they don't have that many units to choose from, they are as straightforward as it gets gameplay-wise - just run over your opponents. On the other hand Stormcast and Legions demand more experience from a player to build a good list and succesfully use it.

...so that answers that, and backs up what I thought. 

Thanks for the advice! I'll play all 3 in time, but Ironjawz whilst learning!

Edited by simonfoley

I though you might have not taken the old Warhammer figures because their names are no longer on new armies, did not realise you didn't have them anymore.

Do note that the best motivations are playstyle and  aesthetics. If you or your daughter like a playstyle and aesthetic that lends itself best to a different army that is a bit harder to learn, starting out in a Grand Alliance and building towards the new army will be better than sticking with an army you or her may grow out of. It won't be as good in the beginning, and you might want to think whether you want to risk some failure.

From what I hear, both Orruks and Stormcast are somewhat straightforward.

Edited by zilberfrid

Yeah, i'll third Ironjawz. Powerful head-on army of elites. Great for quickly getting a force together and smashing the enemy in Gorkamorka's name. Waaagh!

That their battletome got a nice update that added a whole new layer to them playwise is a big bonus.

On top of that is Destruction in general is fun and you can expand in some nice areas like Beastclaws for the Ironjawz experience but on monster cavalry with some icy tricks, add in your Orruks to Bonesplitterz to swarm the enemy with vicious savages and arrow storms, Gloomspite for a swarm of Grots, spiders or bouncing squigs everywhere and all the while troggoths & gargants can mix things up too.

So your Waaagh paths are always open to new experiences even when you're just starting off with a good ol' fashion Ironjawz krumpin'. :D

The aesthetics of "look" of all of them appeal, but playstyle wise Ironjawz will deffo be the way to go. Keen to try out undead but that's mainly a "like the look of the models" thing, which playing-wise I might put on hold for now. Ditto Stormcast.

Thanks for the advice all!