Painting travel kit

Kaio

I spend a few nights every week in hotels because of work and over the holidays at home I've really come love my daily dose of painting progress. That kind of made me want to find a solution to keep on painting a bit each evening, even while I'm away on work.

So I've wondered how to setup a essential painting kit that I can take with me. It should take as little space as needed, be robust and can contain the bare essentials. Let's say 4-5 colors, 2 brushes, something for the water. A sheet of dry palette perhaps? What would you put in such a kit? If it can also hold 3-4 minis that would be nice but I can transport those seperately too, I have a nice small Freebooter's Fate mini carrying case I could use for that.

Has anyone put such a kit together? Or is there perhaps even a ready-to-buy product of some kind?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

I'd say for a mobile painting station you'd want:

1) An old cloth or mat. This is to put everything on at the hotel incase you drop/spill or just generally get paint flecks on things. Basically something that you put down that covers a large area to work on so you don't have to panic about every fleck of stray paint

2) Water holder - brushes - pallet - you could cheapen this area storage wise if you make/get a wet pallet and work from that, though chances are you'd sitll have to bring some paints with you incase you ran out whilst working on things. 

3) Light - as noted light is important. It's my experience that a good few hotels are pretty cheap on room lights and go for a lower wattage or just not good coverage of light. So the most bulky thing is likely a good bright stand lamp of some kind that you can plug in to give you good light to work with. 

• Like 1

Good suggestion about the light situation, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to think a bit about this because this might not be an easy thing to lug around. Maybe I find a flexible daylight LED thing I can plug into my laptop via USB.

I have wet palettes at home, I'm not sure they are a good idea for traveling since they usually fare badly if you move, twist and turn them around which is what would happen in my backpack or luggage. I was thinking more along the lines of the simple GW palette sheets. They can't break and a used sheet is quickly thrown away. 

Spillage is definitely a big concern. That is in fact what mostly turned me away from the idea in the past. I'll definitely only bring paints in dropper bottles and not GW pots with me. Those are just begging for trouble.

I also work away, I bought one of those plastic project boxes from GW and a small carry case for a few models, I bring all the paints i'd need for the certain models I bring and a bit of glue in case there are any accidents, 2 water pots and my palette sheet book .

I make sure to assemble and undercoat stuff at home so I can keep the amount of stuff I need to carry to a minimum. Most hotel rooms I stay in have decent desk lamps already so that's one less thing to transport

Edited by KhaosOP
  • Like 1

How big is such a box? On the GW product page it somehow looks super huge. At least the "project box" one. Unfortunately it doesn't say the measurements anywhere. The "color box" seems better sized and might be enough. Which one do you have?

And yeah, I'd definitely assemble and prime at home. I'll probably only do basecoats on the go. So the light situation isn't even that critical. That would already help me a ton. Then I could focus on the cruicial and fun parts on the weekends.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:07 AM, Kaio said:

I'll have to think a bit about this because this might not be an easy thing to lug around. Maybe I find a flexible daylight LED thing I can plug into my laptop via USB.

I

Oh man that’s the easy part. I’ll see if I can find it but I have a small cheap daylight  color lamp from when I started filming. Get a gorilla pod with it and you’re always set. Both weigh very little. 
Edit: that specific light isn’t sold anymore but there’s a lot out there. Another would be a lume cube. It’s a bit more. But absolutely tiny, long charge, mini usb charge point, wont ever break during travel, and 6000k light trmperature

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kaio said:

How big is such a box? On the GW product page it somehow looks super huge. At least the "project box" one. Unfortunately it doesn't say the measurements anywhere. The "color box" seems better sized and might be enough. Which one do you have?

And yeah, I'd definitely assemble and prime at home. I'll probably only do basecoats on the go. So the light situation isn't even that critical. That would already help me a ton. Then I could focus on the cruicial and fun parts on the weekends.

I have the project box, It's big but fits in a carrier bag and holds everything I need, the colour box is only designed for paint pots, the project box has compartments for tools, brushes and miniatures as well as paints. I got everything I need in that one box.

• Like 1

I travel with a small case from Modifx (See link below).  It fits the small redgrass games wet pallet, a very small container for water, about 20 paints and some brushes.  For light I have a hiking style headlamp, or USB powered desklamp.  Models travel in a small metal tin with some tissues.

http://www.thecombatcompany.com/Modifx-Premium-Painter-Case

https://www.redgrassgames.com/everlasting-wet-palette/everlasting-wet-palette-painter/

I fly alot and the kit has traveled just fine.

• Like 1