General re-roll questions

romhi

Question

Greetings!

This weekend I had a fun little tournament. I bought a Sylvaneth list with Kurnoth Hunters using Greatbows and supported them with a "Horn of the Consort" artefact.

While playing, my opponent flipped out when during the shooting phase I only re-rolled my failed hit rolls (target number is 4+ so every 1s, 2s or 3s were re-rolled, 4s, 5s and 6s were not).

The artefact states the following: "You can re-roll hit rolls for attacks made by friendly HEARTWOOD KURNOTH HUNTERS wholly within 12" of the bearer."

The hunters have a similar rule Tanglethorn Thicket: "...If you do so, until the end of the turn, this unit cannot move except to pile in up to 1", but you can re-roll save rolls for attacks that target this unit."

My question is the following: In the end, are you required to re-roll all dice in the case of these rules, regardless whether they failed or succeeded, or can you "cherry pick" your results? (For example I use 6 dice with the results of three 2s, and three 5s, do I HAVE to re-roll all six if I want to use the rules, or can I choose only the three 2s?)

Are there any official releases or FAQs that help clarify this problem? The only seemingly relevant piece of rule was in the core rules: "RE-ROLLS Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again. " Does this apply here?

Thanks for the help!

2 answers to this question

On 12/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, romhi said:

Greetings!

This weekend I had a fun little tournament. I bought a Sylvaneth list with Kurnoth Hunters using Greatbows and supported them with a "Horn of the Consort" artefact.

While playing, my opponent flipped out when during the shooting phase I only re-rolled my failed hit rolls (target number is 4+ so every 1s, 2s or 3s were re-rolled, 4s, 5s and 6s were not).

The artefact states the following: "You can re-roll hit rolls for attacks made by friendly HEARTWOOD KURNOTH HUNTERS wholly within 12" of the bearer."

The hunters have a similar rule Tanglethorn Thicket: "...If you do so, until the end of the turn, this unit cannot move except to pile in up to 1", but you can re-roll save rolls for attacks that target this unit."

My question is the following: In the end, are you required to re-roll all dice in the case of these rules, regardless whether they failed or succeeded, or can you "cherry pick" your results? (For example I use 6 dice with the results of three 2s, and three 5s, do I HAVE to re-roll all six if I want to use the rules, or can I choose only the three 2s?)

Are there any official releases or FAQs that help clarify this problem? The only seemingly relevant piece of rule was in the core rules: "RE-ROLLS Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again. " Does this apply here?

Thanks for the help!

You can charrypick. The rule is written that way, that you can re-roll dice as well that would be successes before modifiers but misses after the modifier.

I think the point of confusion comes from the point that all dice are rolled at the same time.

From the point of view of the corerules each Dice sequence would be rolled one at the time

Corerules Page 7, Making Attacks

MAKING ATTACKS
Attacks are resolved one at a time using the following attack sequence.
In some cases, you can resolve all of the attacks made by the same type
of weapon at the same time (see Multiple Attacks, below).

So you would roll one Hit-roll, look if you have to reroll it, make one wound roll if it is a success, your Opponent would make his Save roll and than calculate damage if the save failed for the pool.

So each time you check if you re-roll the dice there would only be once dice after each dice is it's own attack sequence. Making multiple attacks at the same time is only to speed the process up.

Edited by EMMachine

Normally you would roll every attack seperatly.

ATTACKS
CHARACTERISTIC
The maximum number of attacks
that can be made by a weapon is
equal to its Attacks characteristic.
Make the attacks one at a time,
unless you are using the rules for
Multiple Attacks.

When using Multiple Attacks rules you roll all at once. So yes, you can reroll EACH hit roll.