Turn 1 Charges

HuyMix

Hi folks, relative newbie to AOS (aren't we all) and I was looking through different combos on how to get a turn 1 charge and what units might be able to do so: Assumptions: 24" initial distance away from each other and I have first turn. Let me know what your thoughts are: 

• Summon flesh hounds (within 9" and hope the reroll gets you in)
  • Summon bloodthirster/soulgrinder (within 9" and use fateweaver's ability to guarantee a 6 if necessary)
  • Sayl ability and a blood secrator whipping a khorne soul grinder (gives it effectively a 21" of flying movement)

If you have any other suggestions on what combos to use or think that there are better ways of using these post em up. 

Chaos Knights move 10" and have +1 to charge, if they're marked with khorne and get bloodstoked (+3 on charge) they can cover between 16 and 26". So a 1in6 chance. With a second bloodstoker it's 19 to 29" giving a 2in3 chance to cover 24" in one turn.

Still need access to a special rule that would allow them to try to charge while more than 12" away. Once you roll the dice though you can move as far as the dice & modifiers allow. But you need to be within 12" to even roll or have something on your warscroll

Things like the bloodstoker's whip & musicians don't do that.

Beastmen can do it!

Gor/Bestigor/Ungor 6" Move + d6" Run +1 for Running, +3 Great Bray Shaman buff.

Beastmen banners allow running and charging in the same turn.

So you're hoping for at least a 2 on the Run roll for a 12" charge attempt.  Gorthor the Beastlord gives +1 to Run and Charge (maybe Run and Pile In, I can't remember).  Beastmen Muso or Banner also gives +1 Pile In, so that should help get some more bodies into combat.

Unless my mathery is horribly wrong.

Yay for Beastmen!

Still need access to a special rule that would allow them to try to charge while more than 12" away. Once you roll the dice though you can move as far as the dice & modifiers allow. But you need to be within 12" to even roll or have something on your warscroll

This looks a lot like an oversight (writing the rule for Mr Whippy too concisely). I'm pretty sure the intention is that if you increase your maximum charge then you increase your declaration of a charge range as well. On some scrolls they have expressly stated it (Morghast Harbingers), so the 12 inches rule is not sacrosanct.

1 minute ago, Magiteknologic said:

Seekers of Slaanesh might be the best at this. 

14" move + 2d6 run + 2d6 charge.

Min: 18" Avg: 28" Max: 38"

Add a nearby character in 12" to add an inch to the run and charge distances,  and a further +1 move from the Cohort battalion. Summon them in and it's guaranteed.

You can also make them pile in twice if you use the Keeper's command ability, so they will be a good 1st turn charge.

Seekers are a turn one charge borderline guaranteed. I've used them in a mixed-god force and they've always done well. But am holding off really getting into Slaanesh proper until a 'tome hits (same with all factions now).

3 hours ago, Magiteknologic said:

Seekers of Slaanesh might be the best at this. 

14" move + 2d6 run + 2d6 charge.

Min: 18" Avg: 28" Max: 38"

Add a nearby character in 12" to add an inch to the run and charge distances,  and a further +1 move from the Cohort battalion. Summon them in and it's guaranteed.

This is definitely the case, and tbh most slaanesh cavalry / chariots / soulgrinders have the ability to move fast and charge early. The formation makes the chosen daemon units scary fast and as said, the seekers really really amazing at it.

Now not that is is exactly 1st turn charge, but with the archaon / overlords of chaos batallion allows you to see who is going first in the next battle round, you can use this to set up charges before your hit. Worth considering.

Wrath of Khorne BT and Flesh Hounds.  Hounds move 8, BT lets them run and charge (with +1 to each) and they can reroll failed charges.  8 + (d6+1) + (2d6+1) for a 13" to 28" total.  You would need at least 14 on the three dice, two of which can be rerolled.

There are plenty of other units that you could use instead of the Flesh Hounds.

i think another thing to consider is what you are planning to charge. You can potentially make a big charge with a bloodthirster with all the whip and bonuses mentioned above, this would tear lots apart, but could then be somewhere it doesnt want to be after.

also, dropping a large summoned unit of bloodletters and then charging a big unit to clear ti off, this is good as the unit itself has large numbers so your opponent needs to clear them with the new GH Scenarios. they will die quick though. 

Just a few scenarios i thought about once considering this thread.

Not the strongest Unit, but really fast are Centigors. They can run and charge and can also re-roll charge rolls.

movement 12+d6+2xd6 (re-rollable).

i take them sometimes with my brayherds (also really fast) and the always charged in the first round...

i think another thing to consider is what you are planning to charge. You can potentially make a big charge with a bloodthirster with all the whip and bonuses mentioned above, this would tear lots apart, but could then be somewhere it doesnt want to be after.

also, dropping a large summoned unit of bloodletters and then charging a big unit to clear ti off, this is good as the unit itself has large numbers so your opponent needs to clear them with the new GH Scenarios. they will die quick though. 

Just a few scenarios i thought about once considering this thread.

I really want Khorne mortals to get a way to summon Khorne daemons without sorcery.

Wizards are dirty and we should be able to do what we need with axes.

Archived