Undercoating for Contrast paints

hammer49

I'm just planning some new painting projects starting in December and was wondering if anyone has used Vallejo or a UK car primer by Halfords with Contrast paints with success?

If I can use these over GW ones id be happier as less £££ on sprays and more for minis or other things lol

I’ve used Vallejo white surface primer through the airbrush with Apothecary White on some Stormtroopers.  There is not any kind of chemical reaction with contrast and primer.  You just want a light primer.  The color primer would depend of what contrast you are using.  You also want to make sure there is a matching paint for touch ups.

I used Vallejo surface primers too in a zenithal method. Worked okay for me - but it was for a dark colour scheme. I also used them over the Rustoleum gray on some terrain. It's okay - not exactly what you'd get over grey seer but not bad. BUt honestly I did go back and re-basecoat the skulls with wraithbone.

Also, just to stay wraithbone spray is a really good basecoat for skintones when not using contrast so it is worth it.

Edited by zedatkinszed