Ossiarch paint scheme help

Overread

KZ8QYB4.jpg

Not only am I not an expert with paint but I'm also not an expert with photoshop! 

The above is only a rough mock-up so temper it with the following:

• Armour - bronze with metallic paints (yeah it looks more like leather in the photo). Also used on edge armour for some decorations such as the skull on the helmet above.
  • Base bone - the default colour scheme that GW has gone - might also swap for bone-white. 
  • Inner to bones - orange/fire. It doesn't show as well on a small warrior like this, but on constructs all the internal skulls would be burning as well to give them an inner fire effect. Not sure how well this can be achieved on a smaller model and for smaller gaps
  • Edge bone of armour - black (probably darker and with a bit less highlighting than it on show above)
  • Cloth - leather, might experiment with some white "wear" to the edges
  • Eyes - glowing purple. I wanted to highlight the eyes and have them different to the blazing fire concept for the rest of the bodies. I feel this makes them stand out rather than get lost in the background internal fire aspect
  • Jewels - red
  • Glint decoration - Gold
  • Sword metals - silver. Not as happy with this one and REALLY not sure  what to do with "soul" weapons esp things that have a half of souls. I feel like it needs a coloured tint edge to the blade which can then form the "ghost" colour for the faction (I've no idea what ghost colour to use for the above scheme)

Any thoughts on methods that can be used to achive "inner fire" effects would be great, esp on very small areas like in the model above. In addition I've really no idea if this scheme "works" nor what "ghost" colour would suit such an army. Of course inner fire might suggest burning blazing ghosts in reds and oranges

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

And first update

Found this example
http://www.coolminiornot.com/366114 

and also Duncan's guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnS1CmgB7ko 

Though whilst Dunan's method would work it seems that the example above has gone a stage further and used a darker shade ontop of the last layer of red to give the skulls an impression of burn black.
The ghosts also carry a great burning effect.

Anyone got an idea how to achieve that? The guy's listed his blog but has no tutorial for this model up.

On 10/23/2019 at 5:19 PM, Overread said:

And first update

Found this example
http://www.coolminiornot.com/366114 

and also Duncan's guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnS1CmgB7ko 

Though whilst Dunan's method would work it seems that the example above has gone a stage further and used a darker shade ontop of the last layer of red to give the skulls an impression of burn black.
The ghosts also carry a great burning effect.

Anyone got an idea how to achieve that? The guy's listed his blog but has no tutorial for this model up.

I can't watch duncan's video at work, but would something like nuln oil work to darken the colors down? Or do you think that would mute the fire too much?

15 minutes ago, Arcian said:

I can't watch duncan's video at work, but would something like nuln oil work to darken the colors down? Or do you think that would mute the fire too much?

Nuln might be a bit too black, but it could work. The issue would be it would want to run into the recesses rather than sit on top. 

On 10/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, Overread said:

Nuln might be a bit too black, but it could work. The issue would be it would want to run into the recesses rather than sit on top. 

Is nuln is too black but it has the right effect try a flesh shade. Contains more red so wouldn’t dull it as much. Or a contrast paint diluted heavily would work. 

You can easily use GW (or any other brand) washes to glaze by just the taking the majority of the wash off of the brush before applying. Get it onto your brush but don’t heavily load it and then wipe most of the paint back into the pot. It also helps to use a lighter touch when applying it to the model. 

Edited by Lior'Lec
Autocorrect typo

2 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

You can easily use GW (or any other brand) washes to glaze by just the taking the majority of the wash off of the brush before applying. Get it onto your brush but don’t heavily load it and then wipe most of the paint back into the pot. It also helps to use a lighter touch when applying it to the model. 

If this was in response to me (wasn’t sure so ignore if not). Yes definitely experiment with glazed but my comment was more meant as look into the tint of the wash if nuln darkens to much. 

@Kramer, sorry was typing half asleep apparently. No, my comment was meant for @Overread in response to his concerns about Nuln Oil wanting to settle into the recesses. Glaze paints and washes are essentially the same thing, glazes have a higher pigment ratio but their consistency is the same. The real difference between the two is in technique when applying them. I don’t own any glaze paints but use washes to apply glazes quite often; for a more vibrant effect I may add a tiny bit of acrylic ink to the wash (~1:10) but typically just apply more glaze layers (too lazy to get up and get the ink sometimes).

• Thanks 1

The effect of doing burning skulls/bone/ghosts/fire successfully all follow roughly the same pattern; basically layer in reverse. You start with the lightest colours first, then layer successive darker colours over the top in smaller amounts, leaving the lighter paint in the 'hotter' inner recesses. To speed things up, you can do the mid-layers with heavy drybrushing, then transition to controlled highlighting with thin paint (which is kinda glazing-adjacent) for the final stages. You can obviously simplify a bit for small areas, but the principles are the same. Also works great for weapons, so you could extend the effect there to give them a bit more pizazz.

Great tutorial here.

22-bloodthirster-1.jpg?w=656

Edited by Arkhanist
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1