AoS 2 HammerHal

Acid_Nine

Hello ! I’m a new cities of Sigmar player and still relatively new to aos . I used to play nurgle but always wanted to try cos.
 after diving through the battletome I decided to play hammerhal , mostly because they have a cool battalion.

as you could guess I love the demigryph knights and the general on griffon. I also like very much the celestant prime so I was looking for a fun list. I do not wish to be super competitive but do not want to lose / get tabled all the time , and that is precisely the problem I’ve had while playing nurgle , i got destroyed  most of the time without having much of Chance of winning. Since I’ve tried to play some games as hammerhal I’ve had the same issue.

I tried multiple lists (allways running the lancers ) and my current  list is :

Allegiance : cities of Sigmar 

-city : hammerhal 

mortal realm : ghyran

freeguild general on griffon (320)

-general 

-shield and great hammer 

-command trait : blood of the twelve

-artifact : Armour of mallus 

Celestant prime (300)

Battlemage  (110)

- realm : hysh 

- lore of cinder : wings of fire

-artifact : the twin stone

3* demigryph Knights (180)

30* phœnix guard (420)

10*freeguild guard (80)

10*freeguild guard (80)

hammerhalian lancers (140)

total 1990

this list was mostly made to have fun playing my favorites units 

but it seems like it is way too weak because I got destroyed by an iron jaw player that wasn’t paying a super competitive build ( a maw krusha , 6 gore gruntas, 2units of 5 brutes , 3 units of 10 ard boys and the battalion that can make the ard boys come back when you destroy them)

that said the problem might be that i suck.

anyway I would like to see if you have any idea of how I could play what I like to play and not get obliterated in 2 turns in a non competitive game as it starts to become extremely discouraging.

thank you !

On 4/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, Evantas said:

You probably should have at least 1 unit of 6 demigryphs as your anchor melee unit, along with the Griffin. 

Generally having a few missile troops to at least attrit before you charge your melee in would also work better. 

What would you change in my list to fit the shooting units (handgunners ?) and 3 additional demigryphs ?

i could drop the Phoenix guard but they are very good and do a lot of work in my games

i could drop the celestant prime but I like him.

i recently played a game against seraphons with my list mentioned above, I said that my list wasn’t competitive, and I faced kroak (there wasn’t a lot of skinks or salamanders tho so it wasn’t an optimized list I guess)

i lost turn 3 and would probably have lost turn 2 if I didn’t had a double turn.

i did some damage to him tho and managed to kill kroak but at this point I only had 10 Phoenix guards left on the table and he still had 2 heroes and 3 full units.

i really wish to improve my list and try to make something fun that doesn’t get destroyed in 2 turns by everyone but I would need more advice.

thank you ! 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:33 AM, Mordred said:

What would you change in my list to fit the shooting units (handgunners ?) and 3 additional demigryphs ?

Well there's definitely trade-offs, and it also comes down to how you play your list. Note that I've yet to face ironjaws, but this is my list: 

Freeguild General on Griffin

Celestial Hurricanum

Lord Aventis

Demigryphs x6

Demigryphs x3

Demigryphs x3

Handgunners x10

Handgunners x10

Quicksilver Swords

For my list, the hurricanum + 20 handgunners are the bait for melee to charge.

The handgunners usually get massacred but get to fire twice at least. Then the Griffin and 6 demigryphs as the counter charge. So far, they always kill the unit they charge. Keep them protected. 

The other demigryphs + Aventis are generally taking/challenging chaff for points, or as bait again for a counter charge. 

I think you can replace Aventis for the Celestant Prime or Phonenix Guard. 

Edited by Evantas
  • Like 1