New AoS Player Needs Advice

TheWhacko

Howdy folks, new blood here eager to get into Age of Sigmar proper. I've been blessed to live in a part of Arizona absolutely teaming with game shops, and I've been steadily putting an army together to go to war. My main question is how viable a mixed force of StD and Beasts for casual to serious play? I'll admit I'm mostly into the idea because the image of a degenerate horde of barbarians and monsters tickles my fancy way too much. How would one make this work well, if that's possible?

For casual itd do fine. They compliment eachother fairly well. For serious? Doesnt stand a chance. Slaves to Darkness are low on the tiers atm and Beastmen see fringe play only due to about 3 units out of the whole book.

If you want to make it work for a stiff competition, a mix of Marauders and Bestigors could prove good. Marauders are essentially the same as Ungors but human flavored. Bestigors are less defensive but highly mobile Warrior equivelents. You just want to be careful about stuff that only interacts with race keywords, such as the big walking shrines from StD only effecting mortals, which Beastmen are not.

Edited by Kazimer

Don't forget that Slaves to Darkness at yet don't have a battletome so they are a bit behind the power curve at present. Though many are hoping for a Battletome for them soon - though right now there's the Free Cities and Orruks battletomes to come first (previewed on the GW website last weekend). So right now Beasts of Chaos are going to sound about the best all round because they've got abilities and such in good standing to support them. 

Also if you like barbarians check out the Warcry Untamed Beasts Warband (on 2 weeks pre-order right now). They are very barbarian and have points and rules for AoS to fit into a Slaves army.