Kessel-schloss, guardian of light

Hello there gents.

Seeking to use up some excess minis in my collection, I have started a Freeguild force. Fluff is to come, but the overarching idea is this is a force from the fortress city of Kessel-schloss in the realm of light, which guards a realmgate to the realm of death.

Current progress:

Painted:

1 general on foot

15 Spearmen

5 handgunners

IMG_20190630_234945.jpg

IMG_20190630_235053.jpg

IMG_20190630_140532.jpg

IMG_20190701_235441.jpg

IMG_20190628_222143.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Great use of the warlord renaissance range.

I always tell myself one of these days I'll make a freeguild army with perry/warlord, harken back to the days when the Empire could all have shoes!

I'm glad you like them. It honestly started as a painting project to test the new contrast paints and get some use out of models sitting in my pile.

So far I'd say it's going swimmingly. I've started work on the command group for the spearmen (although they will eventually be brought up to 30, then full strength.)

I've gone ahead and primed the next wave of soldiers. I also built a mounted version of my general.

IMG_20190701_224959.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Why is the town called „Kessel“-> Cauldron? 🙂

I wasn't specifically basing it on the German translation.

Instead, my thought process went as follows:

Realm for the city is the realm of light.....need a name.....light....speed of light.....Kessel run from Star wars. Boom. Fortress, "Schloss" of starlight......

Granted yes, the translation for that specific name would be different. I was curious if someone would catch my Easter egg though.

• Like 1

Ok, since I'm on lunch and have a few minutes to explain:

Our local game group doesn't have a lot of terrain suitable for AoS. Mainly because it's a primarily 40K group. I've started an escalation league to try and rev the engine a bit. So far it's working, but we need a little bit more table variety.

As far as the "empire" comment: I was reading a fluff piece in the main rule book that seems to suggest that the free peoples are given essentially carte blanche to resettle and rule various parts of the realms in the name of the god-king Sigmar. this leads me to believe that every single possible governmental organization under the sun from our own history would probably be in effect somewhere in the realms.

Following on from that leap of logic my thought process is that roughly 25% of the nobles of my city decided they were bored, and blood by the crown Prince and given the go-ahead by the king we're allowed to galavant off and go make their own house (presumably with blackjack and hookers ala Bender.)

Hence the extra historical minis I have are going to see use as crossbowmen from this yet to be named/fleshed out fiefdom.