The Argent Lions - beginnings of my Stormhost

Bubbatron

So I've had a decent amount of Stormcast sitting there for a while unpainted, have been undecided on a Stormhost for a while so decided to make my own up with the Argent Lions, a Vanguard Heavy Stormhost so far, although I am eyeing up the Sequitors.... 

So I decided to finally sit down and get started on them with my favourite model so far, the Lord Aquilor 

Decided on a peacock inspired Gryph Charger which I'm very happy with! 

_20190626_160633.JPG

Edited by Bubbatron
Grammar!
  • Like 1

Good start! Did you consider using the new Grey Knights Steel paint? It's a blue tinted silver colour, might be perfect if that's the look you're after.

Sidenote: I take it from the avatar that you're a resident of the GitP forums? :D I used to frequent them myself for probably the better part of a decade, but it's been a few years since.

Wasnt sure if that was an actual paint or just another glaze, may need to take a look at that thanks! 

The avatar is a bit if a throwback to when I played dungeons and dragons online, found a pink robe for my wizard and it was his default outfit, a friend got the avatar made from the GitP forum for me! 

Some more work!

So over the weekend I managed to assemble and prime a unit of pallador t go with the Lord Aquilor 

Learnt from assembling him though and did these in sub-assemblies, makes it easier to paint them this way

Something I did discover though is that Stormhost Silver goes better over a grey undercoat as opposed to black, the Lord Aquilor only needed one coat of Stormhost Silver over grey, but the vanguard riders have needed at least 2 coats each over a black undercoat

_20190701_213344.JPG

DSC_0285.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first test models in iron as well. I did about 4 then threw in the ring because I could differentiate them from the hollowed knights scheme. 

Went into the book, read about the sons of Malus... dark brooding, a tendency to violence & born under the core of the old world. Amazing right. I happily painted the first squad and a bit... black with purple edge highlighting. Genuinely didn’t see the issue until a friend saw them and said: ‘anvils are my favourite stormhost too’.  😂

so from somebody who gave up on the same struggle. Well done on making it different and still get cool. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only problem now is I only have 3 Vanguard capes left, so thinking of just putting those on the Primes now, almost like when they get reborn, they remember their Vanguard past by wearing a fur cape to try to fit in! 

Just need to decide what to build the Paladins as, I do like the glaives the Protectors have though! 

Also looking around I've seen conversions using a prosecutor prime for the Knight Azyros spare parts so going to keep my eyes open for one of those! 

1 hour ago, Bubbatron said:

Just need to decide what to build the Paladins as, I do like the glaives the Protectors have though! 

Glaives would fit your force narrative wise the best I think. I'm doing mine as Decimators (with the giant axes though). 

First reason is all my Vanguard models are armed with the axes and this way they match the weaponry. Second reason is more narrative, I ended up with a Sons of Mallus stormhost which has very few mentions but one is a decimator squadron lightning'ed into the thick of the fight where they kept slaying until the day was saved. 

But the first reason might be something worth considering! 

• 2 weeks later...