Realm of Battle Board (old version)

Sombremine

Hi everyone,

I purchased not a month ago, the Realm of Battle board old version. I am planning to paint it and I am looking for some advice and tips on how to paint it. 

I have seen the regular tuto on Youtube but I might want to try to make it more "Age of Sigmar". 

I am playing Duardin and Aelves but I do love my little beardy men... Soo I was thinking about Chamon or Ghur... any idea on how to proceed ? I am not a very good painter and I am not good at all about picking color that matches :S 

Thanks for your input anyway

Not sure what tutorials you've watched but the ones on "WarhammerTV" recently are really good and tell you exactly what colours you need for quite a range of different board styles.  As for making it more AoSy (yes that's a made up abbreviated word) I'd not worry too much.  Paint the boards up in a certain theme and then use scenery to make your battlefield fit into the realm you wish to play in.

I've got the original RoB boards too and in the process of making doing then grey to match the bases of my Bloodbound.  Skull pits will be painted bone (with necessary blood effect) and I may add in some glowing lava effects round the edge of the cracks.  This will mean that the boards will look like a fairly generic ashy battlefield.  With a red and brass fortress you're fighting in Aqshy but with a Garden of Morr you're transported to the realm of Shyish - in fact some totems and warped trees would put you into Ghur.  This also has the added benefit that I can comfortably play a different game system without it looking naff.

If you're talking about the old RoB board with hills, I recently assembled one myself. I've got a few tips both from my own experience and gathered from around the interwebs:

- The general consensus if you believe google results is that you should cover the board with something - be it sand or grass. It is a lot less detailed than the new AoS board so you're not really covering up loads of detail. People find the surface to be "slippery" even when painted, to the point that models will slide down the hills.

- I first covered my board with fine grained sand - a decision I came to regret later: I pack my board away each session and the sand inevitably came off. This can supposedly be avoided by painting the entire board with watered down PVA-glue.

- I instead opted to cover the board and sand in flock (thus in the end the sand did get painted with PVA glue), because I found the sand to be a bit boring and drab. I used army painter grass, and the board is much more interesting now, in my humble opinion. Supposedly one should spray the flock twice with Purity Seal to keep the flock in place, but I haven't had the chance to do so yet.

I've used Plastikote sprays to paint my boards which come out very slightly textured, I do intend to varnish them once I've completed all of details, but in their current format I've not had any models slide down the hills :)

One of the biggest problems with applying anything with PVA is that you need something for the PVA to bind into, plain plastic doesn't provide enough adherence on it's own.  Giving a coat of a spray primer (grey halfords primer is a cheap option) will provide a 'key' for the glue to bind into.  Either that or you need to scuff the plastic with some sandpaper first.

You do need to get a good undercoat on it to get everything to stick, I think I washed mine with some warm soapy water and scourer sponge before spray undercoating with Chaos Black Spray.  I think I used a full tin, so not cheap but the paint has stuck well.  The static grass I applied is rubbing off a bit, so I will redo it again at some stage.

As for schemes, there are loads of skulls on it so a kinda death/chaos plains is a good option.  Something that might be cool would be to crackle paint the whole thing, I'd research how people do it on large items eg. furniture.  I think it's basically a case of painting on top of a wet PVA layer, but there's probably good products available for getting consistent results.

1 hour ago, Zen said:

- I instead opted to cover the board and sand in flock (thus in the end the sand did get painted with PVA glue),  I used army painter grass, and the board is much more interesting now, in my humble opinion. Supposedly one should spray the flock twice with Purity Seal to keep the flock in place, but I haven't had the chance to do so yet.

Could you please post a pic of your board ? 

I am thinking about flocking my board but like you, I am afraid it won't last.... 

a great alternative to flocking is using Javis scenic roll, it comes in large rolls like wallpaper, and you just cut it to shape with a scalpel and stick it down. I used to make model airfields for my spitfires and hurricanes when I was younger , and used to do my GW bases that way too. I would buy large bits of chipboard and stick it down with wood glue.  Another great alternative is to smear pollyfilla on something to make a texture, which I used to use for the outside of my Ork settlements in epic.

I think its a great point though to be weary of storage chips and dings, and how this will effect your chosen medium. Industrial strength glue to hold down any sand is a good move.

Bear in mind the weight and sound differences too of covering your board. Many people complain of the 'hollow' sound when rolling dice on a rob board, but grit sanding it will help insulate against that and also the models wont slip on the curved surfaces as they will have grip.

If you need any more inspiration, my favorite project out there on the interwebs is this by 3T studios. ***EDIT unfortunately this project log misses all the best bits that come later on in part 2, but hope they will re-upload it eventually on their site. Some of the finished results you can see though are on Dakka in the 2nd link

http://3t-studios.com/category/project-logs/chaos-realm-of-battle-board/

more pics here

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/308095.page

On 9 Aug 2016 at 3:33 PM, Sombremine said:

Could you please post a pic of your board ? 

I am thinking about flocking my board but like you, I am afraid it won't last.... 

Sorry, I don't have the board available to me at this time - and won't for a couple of weeks. 

But I founds a couple of pictures of fully flocked boards on the internet - this one comes close to how my board looks: 

015.jpg

Archived