Artis Opus - experiences

Lowki

I am just about order a set of Artis Opus brushes (Series S) , and curious if any of you is already using these, and what is your experience with them?

I guess much also depends on personal preference and painting technique, but looks like a (very) good product to me, and I am especially interested on their recently funded special products like the M series (shorter tip) and Dry brushes. Both not yet released by the way.

Love to know your opinion.

P.S. As far as I am aware of the forum doesn't have a restrictive policy in regards on discussing specific brands/products (other than GW). If I happen to miss, and it is not allowed, please let me know

Edited by Lowki

I got them via kickstarter. 

All was well at the start, sharp tip, not very large body though.... But these brushes lost their tip ridiculously fast for brushes in that price segment. I really cannot recommend them at all to people looking to spend money on good brushes after having used them for a while.  It's downright impossible to do any detail work with them now and I can only use them to apply some somewhat controlled washes. 

I've reverted back to my Raphael 8404 series after this little fling with artis Opus series S....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elmir said:

I got them via kickstarter. 

All was well at the start, sharp tip, not very large body though.... But these brushes lost their tip ridiculously fast for brushes in that price segment. I really cannot recommend them at all to people looking to spend money on good brushes after having used them for a while.  It's downright impossible to do any detail work with them now and I can only use them to apply some somewhat controlled washes. 

I've reverted back to my Raphael 8404 series after this little fling with artis Opus series S....

Raphael 8404 are just amazing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the years I've tried various brushes and spoken to lots of people.  There are two main factors when picking brushes, the first is how you paint and the second is what you wish to use the brush for. 

The Artis Opus brushes were created as a super high-end brush - the Ferrari of brushes if you will.  In the same way as you'd not take a Ferrari round to Sainsburys for your weekly grocery shop, Artis Opus aren't a good "jack of all trades" brush.  They're brilliant if you paint "tip first" with your brush, however once you start using the side of the brush for edge highlights or applying a cheeky wash, they'll very quickly lose that tip and spring in the bristles.  The same actually applies to W&N Series 7, they're not created to quite the same build quality, so can take a little more abuse, but long term abuse will result in that brush breaking down.

I personally love my 8404's for base coating and applying shades.  It's got the largest belly out of all the brushes so you need to ensure that your water is kept on the clean side of things else you'll get paint up in the ferrule.  From a highlighting perspective they're perfectly fine if you're doing army painting, but for one-off pieces I'd veer onto something like a W&N, Rosemary & Co or Artis Opus.

20 hours ago, Lowki said:

P.S. As far as I am aware of the forum doesn't have a restrictive policy in regards on discussing specific brands/products (other than GW). If I happen to miss, and it is not allowed, please let me know

Not at all!  It'd be really awkward if we did too as it's fairly well known that the 'Eavy Metal painters use non-GW brushes 😉

• Thanks 1