Modelling Help

kaaras

I have wanted to mount an Ironjawz Megaboss onto the Magewrath Throne for a while, sitting in that brooding, slightly slumped position you see Conan sitting in (or any of the Jarls in Skyrim...). Thing is, I am:

a) paranoid about cutting him up and getting it wrong

b) concerned that the angles will all be off

c) worried that the megaboss is the wrong model

So, in light of all of that, are there any decent tutorials or help that can be offered? I have scoured you tube and not seen anything that makes sense or fits what I am trying to do. Eventually I want to use it as the centerpiece for an armies on parade type entry of a cave of treasure and the armies about to march out to war. Or something like that. 

Any help, hints or advice would be appreciated.

Ok so I do conversions like this once in a while. I'm no @Melcavuk but I do have fun with projects like this.

First thing to look at, the posing of the Megaboss, he's leaning forwards. Changing that line in the torso and hips is really hard, so I'd keep that in the overall model. Maybe he's leaning forward and shouting at his minions?

Next look at the legs, what's wrong with them for sitting? The main issue is one is pointing back, the other forwards so you'll need to cut and repose the back pointing leg. Take it flush to the torso and use spare sprue to pad the void covered with Greenstuff to hide the space.

Lastly the arms. If he's leaning forward then the axe will probably be propped upright, acting as a crutch and the open hand will be pushing off the arm of the throne.

Hope this helps!

No worries! One final thought, I know I said leave the torso line intact but I'd cut the legs off at the waist. Pose those correctly on the throne, and then reattach the upper torso.

You can always hide the join with some jewlery chain or plastickard

Just to throw in a spanner, due to being similarly sized have you considered using the base model of the Riders from say a Stonehorn kit, they're already vaguelly sat admittedly in a more awkward position but are setup well to be seated and are of similar size to the Megaboss. Then add in armour plates from various of the Ironjawz kits, maybe use the big skull from the Megaboss or his head itself instead of the Ogors head and you'll end up with a pretty monolithic looking boss sat down.

This is a really cool idea but a tough conversion.  What you do with the legs will have a big impact on whether it looks like the mini is sitting on the throne or just put on it. I.e the feet need to touch the ground in a vaguely naturalistic way. It will be really hard to do this with a model that is not already sitting.

What I might suggest is starting with a model like the Stonehorn rider that @Melcavuk mentioned and using Ironjaws Brute bits and Megaboss bits over the Stonehorn Torso.  In other words try cutting that body up so that its hips keep the sitting stance of the stonehorn rider but allow the Megaboss body on top with as little chopping work as possible.

It will involve a lot of GS and cutting whatever you do. But if you use a model that is a) already sitting and b) similar in size, you give yourself the best chance of success. 

Archived