Necrotic Fangs Reroll

kaihull74

Question

So this ruling has really thrown me for a loop. Necrotic fangs states "You can reroll this model's Snapping Maw Damage Characteristic." 

The question is how to handle this exactly. 

I see one of two ways to handle it. You can require they roll each attack/wound/save/damage separately and thus reroll each damage roll without knowledge of the total. They other option is they reroll the ENTIRE damage roll and roll all hits/wound/save/damage together. It seems unclear and I'd really love some clear cut ruling on this. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

You can reroll the damage for whatever attack(s) you chose.

since every attack has its OWN dmg characteristic it is supposed to be treated separately - you also determine the damage for each attack separately in any case.

The User can get the maximum out of every attack by rolling the damage for each attack, then picking the dice he doesn’t like to reroll them.

So the only thing is that according to the core rules, you roll each attack individually, all the way through and you CAN roll together in order to save time. 

That means that you would roll the damage, then make decision to reroll, for the first attack before you make the second one. At least that is how I'm interpreting it.

I'm just not sure what let's you do that? The process follows that you make each attack individually. If that's the case then it's pretty clear you make decisions to reroll at each damage point.

If you choose to roll all the damage dice TOGETHER, (which you can do per the multiple attacks section) I'm not sure how you handle the damage reroll. It's significantly better if the player is allowed to reroll the damage roll with greater amounts of knowledge.

7 minutes ago, kaihull74 said:

I'm just not sure what let's you do that? The process follows that you make each attack individually. If that's the case then it's pretty clear you make decisions to reroll at each damage point.

If you choose to roll all the damage dice TOGETHER, (which you can do per the multiple attacks section) I'm not sure how you handle the damage reroll. It's significantly better if the player is allowed to reroll the damage roll with greater amounts of knowledge.

Have you played 40k 8. Edition before? In 40k it makes a difference because the wound is allocated to the model before multiple damage is determined.

In Age of Sigmar there is no point to role 3 single rolls if you make 3 unsaved wounds with all three attacks, so you can roll all 3 dice together because the damage is pooled first and allocated afterwards (when all attacks are made).

The corerules say this in case of Random Values

Generate any random values for
a weapon (apart from Damage)
each time it is used by a model.
The result applies to that model’s
weapon for the rest of that phase.
When determining random damage
in step four of the attack sequence,
make a separate roll to generate the
value for each successful attack the
weapon makes.

37 minutes ago, kaihull74 said:

Core Rules Page 1

RE-ROLLS

Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again. If a rule allows you to re-roll a result that was made by adding several dice together (e.g. 2D6, 3D6 etc.) then, unless otherwise stated, you must roll all of those dice again. You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and rerolls happen before modifiers to the roll (if any) are applied. Rules that refer to the result of an ‘unmodified’ dice roll are referring to the result after any re-rolls but before any modifiers are applied.

Archived