How do you deal with painting experimentation

Navezof

Recently I started experimenting on skeleton warriors, I wanted to find a nice color scheme to make them more unique and personal.

So I started looking for exemple, existing color and so on, bought the paint, tried, being not satisfied, buying different color, trying again, and so on.

In the end, I feel like I will soon have all the existing colour from games workshop.

What are your method when you want to experiment? Do you also have shelf filled with unused colours from past experimentation?

Yeah, loads of colours I've only used once or twice, but if it helps you get to where you want to go then it's all worth it.

I tend to have a theme, or colour that I want to use and then one or two aspects that I want to try and push my painting with. Then I'll pour over YouTube to find something that fits the bill. For example: I've never really liked the way my gold has come out due to a lack of contrast, so searched a bunch of tutorials on painting gold until I had one that I thought might work and incorporated that into my scheme. Everything else in the paint scheme is pretty much something I've done before just different colours.

12 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

[...] Then I'll pour over YouTube to find something that fits the bill. For example: I've never really liked the way my gold has come out due to a lack of contrast, so searched a bunch of tutorials on painting gold until I had one that I thought might work and incorporated that into my scheme. [...]

I also find it helpful to have a look at the local GW store, sometimes the exposed miniatures, especially if the GW shop do painting contest, are a good source of inspiration.

Another issue is that I'm sometimes reluctant to experiment too much because if I fail it, I "lose" a model and can't add it to my army (well I still do but then it stick out like a sore skaveny thumb), lately I tried experimenting on the extra sprue I had, but there are also limited. Any tips on that?

Don't know how much help this is but anyway. Here's some of my thoughts (started painting in the early 90s, had a long pause between 2002 and last year when I started again).

- Don't be afraid to experiment. If it turns out really botched you can always strip the paint and start again.

- If you try out a paint scheme for a unit, paint only one miniature first to completion to find out any problems. If it looks ok, paint the rest of the unit in batches of 5-10 to get a uniformed look. In a unit of 20-40 that one one miniature wont stand out too much.  Certain armies are better here than others. Undead, chaos, orks, goblins... there's no problem with them looking a bit rag-tag, shabby, or odd looking.

- If a unit doesn't look completely perfect, just try to find the things that did work and move on to the next. The only way to get better is painting, painting, and painting some more. Mistakes, trials and errors are part of that process. Your going for the long haul here and if you continue with the hobby, then you are quite likely to start several armies. The first ones aren't going to be the best looking ones, so see them as training for say the third or fourth army and make those later armies the ones where you try to do your very best.

2 hours ago, Navezof said:

Another issue is that I'm sometimes reluctant to experiment too much because if I fail it, I "lose" a model and can't add it to my army (well I still do but then it stick out like a sore skaveny thumb), lately I tried experimenting on the extra sprue I had, but there are also limited. Any tips on that?

As @Platypus said, you shouldn't worry about experimenting, as you can strip a model or, assuming your paint went on thin enough, just paint straight over it. I recently painted three Namarti Thralls to get an idea of the skin tone and spot colours I wanted, I ended up wanting a combination of two and so airbrushed my zenithal base colours back over the two that had the wrong skin tone and I'll repaint the weapon, gems, etc on the last one who has the right skin tone. 

My paint was relatively thin on my test models and I'm not too worried about losing a little detail, if I lose any at all, on my basic infantry.

Archived