Painting knights/riders

Saikological

Hey guys, 

I was wondering how you guys paint knights/riders. I mean how do you hold them? Normal infantry or something can be stuck on a base and are thus easy to hold, but riders dont have that. 

I want to start painting my vampire dragon rider, but holding the mini in my hands while painting just doesnt work great. Especially since its a metal model. 

Ive seen peeps use the blue poster stuff, but havent tried that. What do you use and what do you consider best? Is there a difference between metal and plastic here? 

Thanks!

I do them separately, I’ll use a bit of sprue stick one end to a base and the other to a part of the model that will be hidden when fully assembled (usually between the legs) and then paint them as a separate model. Of course this assumes they are separate pieces for Giregruntas and Bloodcrushers I just had to suck it up and paint them together 

If I'm going to paint the rider separately, then I drill two little holes in the bottom of the model (similar to @Ollie Grimwood, where they won't be seen once the model is assembled) and then superglue straightened paperclips into the holes, before inserting those into corks. It's a bit more work, but I find the corks fit my hand better and mean my hands are less likely to cramp. Kind of depends on whether that's a problem for you really. 

I often don't bother to separate the two and just try to be careful... doesn't always work...

IMG_20180309_172125556.jpg.3faaf706e31c4f1a9318c936302a15f7.jpg

How does everyone avoid the white nasty residue from the super glue on your already painted models when you do it this way?

I did my Bloodcrushers seperately from their Jugs and found some nasty frosting like effects where I glued it to the Juggernaut.

55 minutes ago, Dickbill said:

How does everyone avoid the white nasty residue from the super glue on your already painted models when you do it this way?

I did my Bloodcrushers seperately from their Jugs and found some nasty frosting like effects where I glued it to the Juggernaut.

Throw that super glue away! And as far as you can! That has never happened to me. I get mine at a modelling store. They stored it in fridge, I personally don’t. But no frosting ever. 

The worst that happened to me was I dropped way to much, got distracted and it ended up as a hard sticky glue ball 

22 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Throw that super glue away! And as far as you can! That has never happened to me. I get mine at a modelling store. They stored it in fridge, I personally don’t. But no frosting ever. 

The worst that happened to me was I dropped way to much, got distracted and it ended up as a hard sticky glue ball 

Oh, interesting, I never imagined it was from the type of super glue. Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: I can't use plastic glue once I've painted, right? That's what I prefer to use for my minis.

7 hours ago, Dickbill said:

Oh, interesting, I never imagined it was from the type of super glue. Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: I can't use plastic glue once I've painted, right? That's what I prefer to use for my minis.

Well I can’t be sure of course but that would definitely be my first step. 

From what I understand super glue forms a small layer between two parts and adheses to both. (If that’s a word). Plastic glue melts the to layer of both sides and it meshes together.  The disadvantage of that is the if it breaks it requires filing to stick it back together. 

Thats why I use super glue exclusively. What you say about not using it on painted surfaces makes sense with the above in mind. Two clean flat surfaces attach better in any case, regardless of glue type. They being said it never gives me any problem. The plastic is so light that it breaks from rough handling or small connection points (looking at witch elves for example. )

Archived