What products do you base your models with?

Ragnar Alpaca

I want to know some different products everyone uses to base models. I hav only ever used PVA glue then sand, it works but it can be a bit of a hassle to put glue down, sprinkle sand, let dry, put more watered down glue on top to secure, let dry, then make sure sure no dust is on the model, then prime. What products do you use? I know about GW basing pots and I like a couple but they’re far too expensive for me, as I have hundreds of models that still need based.

33 minutes ago, Pariah said:

there are wood chips that my dad used in the past, they make really good rocks. Not sure what they're called, but I think he got them from a garden supply place. 

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I don’t live anywhere near a garden supply store. Also really just looking to find a replacement for sand and glue/GW texture paints as they’re too expensive. 

I keep all my left over sprues, unusuable bits (literally broken stuff from kitbashes) resin sprues. Glue them down onto my chosen base and then cover most of it with a mix of all purpose filler, sand, broen acryclic and black acrylic. Costs very very little. I do sometimes all use a the odd bit of extra scenery/branch/skull shield etc especislly on fairly large bases.

I have never used anything but GW textures. 

On 12/24/2018 at 12:40 AM, Mandano said:

Vallejo makes texture paint that is less expensive. I have heard positive things about it. 

Anybody who can corroborate Mandano's claims? Think I heard somewhere the Vallejo stuff can be prone to falling/flaking off.

2 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

I have never used anything but GW textures. 

Anybody who can corroborate Mandano's claims? Think I heard somewhere the Vallejo stuff can be prone to falling/flaking off.

16 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

I would also like to know this. 

I use Vallejo black lava texture for my bases (along with some pieces of cork and some paint). I never had any problem with it. No falling or flaking off.

I also use other Vallejo textures for other wargames and hobby projects and never had an problem with it. Actually I prefer using Vallejo's textures instead of GW's.

18 minutes ago, The Golem said:

I use Vallejo black lava texture for my bases (along with some pieces of cork and some paint). I never had any problem with it. No falling or flaking off.

I also use other Vallejo textures for other wargames and hobby projects and never had an problem with it. Actually I prefer using Vallejo's textures instead of GW's.

Are there any specific ones you recommend then besides the black lava? I’m trying to get a nice cave floor/rocky base for a couple armies. 

56 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Are there any specific ones you recommend then besides the black lava? I’m trying to get a nice cave floor/rocky base for a couple armies. 

Well, as for the other Vallejo textures, I mainly use desert sand, grey sand, grey pumice, white stone and water texture, so I don't know about the rest of them.

However, for a rocky land you can just use the black lava, let it dry and paint it the way you want. That's what I do anyway. Allow me to share a bit of my AoS painting project. Here's what my gaming mat looks like:

am.jpg

(source)

It's more or less a rocky land (albeit a blue one). To match the minis with the mat, here's what I do:

• I usually starts by gluing bits of cork and/or small pebbles on the bases.
  • Then I cover it all with black lava texture. Tip : if you want it to look less rough is some areas, you can smooth it a bit with a wet brush.
  • Once dry, I paint it with the appropriate colors.
  • I add and paint small details (grass tufts, skulls, weapons, etc.)

Here's an example of the result.

20180807-06.jpg

Now I don't know if this the kind of texture you want to achieve or not, but it's easy to do and a Vallejo texture pot will last longer than a GW one.

Archived