120 Wight King blade

120 Wight King axe

280 40x Skeleton warriors

80 10x Skeleton warriors

420 30x Grave Guard 

60 5x Dire wolves

60 5x Dire wolves

180 Mortis Engine

This is at 1940 points. Basically is this list any good at all, I really have no idea how death works at the moment or many of the synergies, I’m just looking to get into Legions of Nagash. I want the skellie horde. So please make any alterations and guide me in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

400 Neferata 

110 Necromancer

110 Necromancer

120 Wight King blade

120 Wight King axe

280 40x Skeleton warriors

80 10x Skeleton warriors

420 30x Grave Guard 

60 5x Dire wolves

60 5x Dire wolves

180 Mortis Engine

This is at 1940 points. Basically is this list any good at all, I really have no idea how death works at the moment or many of the synergies, I’m just looking to get into Legions of Nagash. I want the skellie horde. So please make any alterations and guide me in the right direction. 

YouTube Minature Wargaming, the guys played a large Legions of Nagash Horde which looked very similar to this. That army though had zombies and a corpse cart which buffed well and tied down a large part of the board. 

Have you considered Hex Wraiths/Black Knights instead of such a large unit of Grave Guard?

I'm just starting to put my Nagash Army together as well. Looking forward to painting 100 Skeletons and zombies. 

The mortarchs aren‘t the most competitive options, so if you’re aiming for WAAC just burn your list XD

For casual play it looks alright.

40 skellis perform, 30 guards hack things into minced meat and the puppies speedbump and flank denial.

Not sure about the second wightking and the small unit of skellis, what is their purpose? Maybe the 200 points are better used with more puppies and a vampire?! 

Also the Neferata choice binds you into legion of blood, which you not really use (neither bravery debuff nor +1 vamp attack) or you‘ll be going Grand host, making the gg battleline...

you‘re set for the epic grind, with lots of invocation, neffi can use her -1 to hit (maybe even stacking befor an enemy double turn XD) and the skellis and gg grab and hold on to objectives. But, positioning is key and if you’re not fast enough, you will struggle to get your units to where they are needed.

http://podcast.justplaygames.uk/how-to-beat-legions-of-nagash-insider-secrets-with-ian

good old ianob made a nice sum up (2,5h) with all the things that will kick you in the squishy. Since Undead are the hotness as it seems, a lot of people will come prepared for our cheese...

11 hours ago, Honk said:

The mortarchs aren‘t the most competitive options, so if you’re aiming for WAAC just burn your list XD

For casual play it looks alright.

40 skellis perform, 30 guards hack things into minced meat and the puppies speedbump and flank denial.

Not sure about the second wightking and the small unit of skellis, what is their purpose? Maybe the 200 points are better used with more puppies and a vampire?! 

Also the Neferata choice binds you into legion of blood, which you not really use (neither bravery debuff nor +1 vamp attack) or you‘ll be going Grand host, making the gg battleline...

you‘re set for the epic grind, with lots of invocation, neffi can use her -1 to hit (maybe even stacking befor an enemy double turn XD) and the skellis and gg grab and hold on to objectives. But, positioning is key and if you’re not fast enough, you will struggle to get your units to where they are needed.

http://podcast.justplaygames.uk/how-to-beat-legions-of-nagash-insider-secrets-with-ian

good old ianob made a nice sum up (2,5h) with all the things that will kick you in the squishy. Since Undead are the hotness as it seems, a lot of people will come prepared for our cheese...

1) I don’t even really like the mortarch models so if I don’t have to use one to be a competitive ish list than I’m ok with that

2) I’m using both Wight Kings no matter what, the blade one is good while the other one is Krell and who doesn’t love Krell?

3) The 10 man group of skeletons is just there, I have no idea how to play this army.

4) Which legion is best to use with lots of skeletons like this?

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

1) I don’t even really like the mortarch models so if I don’t have to use one to be a competitive ish list than I’m ok with that

2) I’m using both Wight Kings no matter what, the blade one is good while the other one is Krell and who doesn’t love Krell?

3) The 10 man group of skeletons is just there, I have no idea how to play this army.

4) Which legion is best to use with lots of skeletons like this?

1. You definitely don’t need a mortarch to be competitive. In fact, you’re better off without one. For 40 points more you can get a vampire lord on dragon, and he can take both a command trait and an artifact. 

2. Wight kings are pretty much strictly inferior to vampire lords on foot, as for 20 points more, you gain access to a unit that can heal itself, fly, and is a wizard with access to a spell lore, while their command ability does the same thing, but eith less restrictions. I get the desire to run them though, and krell does look boss. 

3. 10 man skelly units have their place, but not typically in a skeleton horde style list, which is what you seem to be building for.

here would be my suggested changes to keep the feel of your list, but maybe a bit more focused:

vampire lord on zombie dragon

necromancer x2

wight king x2

2 blocks of 40 skellies

5 dire wolves

30 grave guard

also leaves you at 1940, giving you a command point to let you pop the command abilities an extra time.

4. I’d recommend grand host or sacrament for your legion. Grand host provides some extra d3 healing and has a command trait that gives deathrattle units nearby an extra attack, plus theres an artifact that gives nearby units an extra 6+ to mitigate damage. It wiuld be slow, but fairly killy and even harder to shift. I like sacrament because an army wide +1 to cast is huge to get your debuff spells and van hels off, and the command trait mastery of death gives every unit a free 3 inch move in the hero phase. Helps deal with the slowness of your army. 

what is it you want this army to do/ what playstyle are you going for? For a true skeletal legion feel, you could look into the deathmarch battalion as well.

4E01F70E-6FFC-4564-856E-51B3F3E3D0FF.jpeg.ba6ac728edf08e63b39130bba7210bf5.jpeg

What about this list? I’m not sure about spending 440 points on the zombie dragon though. Maybe just take 1 or 2 regular vampires? Doing this I would have 300 or 160 points spare if I do this what else should I bring? Is the zombie dragon really worth 440 points?

My main goal with this army is to have a skeleton hoard march up the board and slowly win with attrition through bodies and resurrection. My main problem I see with this list as a whole is I don’t have a real hammer, that I can see, I’m fine in the anvil department. 

Your hero selection looks much better. The lord in dragon is absolutely worth it. He is fast, is a wizard, hits fairly hard, has a good number of wounds with a 3+ save, good deathly invocation, just everything really. There are several builds out there focused on running multiples of them. He is also your best candidate for general and artifact carrier. Giving him ethereal, the doppelganger cloak, or -1 to hit can make him a nightmare to deal with. Or you can make a different hero your general, give the dragon lord one of those artifacts, and you have a massive distraction the enemy just has to deal with,  but cannot easily. Id only do this if he isnt your general though, because your general is too important to be using as a missile. Remember that only your general can resummon dead units.

Besides the dragon lord as a possible hammer, the grave guard can act as a hammer as well. I’d give them great wight blades, because the extra rend is nice in an army that lacks rend for the most part and makes them much more choppy. They are slow, but can get the job done once you grab an enemy unit or two with your skelly blobs. 

What is your plan with the mortis engine? This is the piece that seems most out of place to me at the moment.

Well, the VloZd is a nice distraction carnifex and your opponent has something big and scary to focus on, while the rest of your army gets into position.

If you go for multiple small heroes a vamp lord should be considered, for spells and command. Maybe with knights, to have a bit more speed. Or maybe the choice for unsure persons, the coven throne. Really like their spell and command abilities.

you‘re really set for the grind with 2x40 skellis and 30 guards, properly buffed they all do kill by statistics.

what I really would recommend is playing and testing your lists. It all has to fit your playstyle and the local meta. If your opponents are all set for the horde destruction... your list will suffer 

Archived