New. Need help on what to get.

BillyN831

I played four games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar first edition and enjoyed playing Legions of Nagash with Nagash. I happen to be a huge fans of death knights in fantasy settings, own no Warhammer Age of Sigmar models and was wondering what models are competitive and fun to get for an army. Thank you!

if you play LoN you have so many choices. at the moment the best lists include 2x40 skeletons and 30 grimghast reapers. for the reapers, however, I would expect the faq before buying them. for the rest you have so many choices, the pg with name are all good, arkhan is perhaps the best overall as seen magical skills. vhordrai and vlozd are among the best pg to cac according to me, the cavalries are all good as support.

Not sure what the acronyms mean but thank you! I do not prefer named special characters so what are other viable leader options and what are good cavalry options. I want to be able to run down my opponents with death knights but I saw Blood Knights were five for 99 bucks. Yikes! Black Knights were much less intimidating.  My friends want to run no more than 1000 points as well.

vlozd = vampire lord on zombie dragon. sorry, it's the habit. 😁
at 1000 pts it is not easy for me to make lists. I advise you, however, to start with 40 skeleton warriors. cavalry is not our best. the blood knights cost too much, the hexwraith do little damage. Black knights, on the other hand, are cheap and can be improved by command abilities or command traits. a lot also depends on the legions you decide to play. For example, I feel very comfortable with the legion of night.

I dont love named character, but in a tournament they are important for LoN

For 1k the options are too many to really have a firm go to list. Also a couple of bad rolls just mess you up, with no second line options...sooo

hordes it is:  .40cal skelli block with necro for 390 points, then it’s tough decisions for you ...

fluffy options with vamp lords, mortis engine, black knights. Maybe Morghast or some undeadified chaos knights/dark elves outriders.

for high competitive games I‘d go for skelli block with necro(390), 2x10 wolves(240) and maybe Arkhan (320) for a 950 total (+1CP)

or 2x40 skelli/necro (780) and a vamp lord with wolves (140+60) for 980 total.

with the high regeneration, you’ll surely make no friends, but the speed is not really good. Positioning and aggressive objective grabbing...

I was thinking Deathmarch /Deathrattle:

1 Wight King

10 Skeleton Warriors

40 Skeleton Warriors

40 Skeleton Warriors

5 Grave Guard

5 Black Knights

960/1000 points

What am I missing if anything? I played like four games ever. Constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.

8 hours ago, BillyN831 said:

Not sure what the acronyms mean but thank you! I do not prefer named special characters so what are other viable leader options and what are good cavalry options. I want to be able to run down my opponents with death knights but I saw Blood Knights were five for 99 bucks. Yikes! Black Knights were much less intimidating.  My friends want to run no more than 1000 points as well.

Many a player buy Dragon Blades and convert/paint them to look more like Vampires.

Also, I will suggest Nighthaunt as an army alternative to Deathrattle, but if you go that route, you won’t be able to bring in Black Knights.

8 hours ago, BillyN831 said:

What am I missing if anything?

Technically your list is valid.  

And fluff wise it might be cool to field it.

If you’re digging this list please do enjoy it, 2x40 skellis is pretty strong...

But crunch wise, a 5 men squat of grave guard is not impressive, same goes for the 10 men skelli squat. This might sound repetitive, but 5 knight are not really cutting it either... 

the gg need to survive an attack and 5hp with crappy save is just not enough. The barest minimum is 10, better 15...then they also start packing a decent punch.

10 skellis are more like a „didn’t know what to do with the points“ choice or to fill up battleline, which you don’t need. 

then you have your wightking, which brings an interesting command ability, but in comparison a necromancer is stronger. VanHels or Overwhelming Dread are just too good to miss out on.

the 5 horsemen are nice, but for the same points you‘ll get 10 wolves, which gave twice the wounds and twice the attacks...

soooo, if you’re after a deathrattle themed army, kick out the 10 skellis and get a necromancer... that makes a fluffy mid-tier list, which gives you some options.

if you want to WAAC... find your style first I guess

9 hours ago, BillyN831 said:

I was thinking Deathmarch /Deathrattle:

1 Wight King

10 Skeleton Warriors

40 Skeleton Warriors

40 Skeleton Warriors

5 Grave Guard

5 Black Knights

960/1000 points

What am I missing if anything? I played like four games ever. Constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.

Yes, you miss paying points for battalion

Archived