Battleline

Arkiham

hello again.

Lately i've noticed more an more when building lists when it comes to battleline units for units which get buffs for larger sizes ( chaos warriors, plaguebearers, bloodletters etc etc. )

i've been constructing the list with one large group in mind and two smaller ones to fill out the battleline. 

for instance for slaves to darkness using the fatesworn battalion, one unit of 18 chaos warriors ( 360 points ) and 2 units of 5 knights, or two smaller units of 10 chaos warriors. 

or using rotbringers, one unit of 14 blightkings and 2 units of 5. 

when making a nurgle focused list ive got one large unit of 30 plaguebearers and two units of 10 chaos warriors, 

this gives me a strong central units and two smaller units to act as road blocks or flank protectors 

is this a good way of doing things? or is balancing the cost out between the units better?

This is how im fielding my bloodbound/khorne list i have atm 20 bloodletters and 40 Bloodreavers

it works ok and as you grow in pionts im going to round up the bloodletters to 30 and have them middle with 1x20 bloodreavers either side

but then came generals handbook and im left thinking they will seperate my poor bloodletters from bloodbound and ill have to change my battline units :( 

they are separate, but they all count as battleline, so you could have 3 units of 20, but if you have a unit which gains bonuses at say 10/20/30 you want to go over the threshold by a few models to soak up wounds.  hense why i have 30 plaguebearers, or 27 warrior's.  

Pretty much what a lot of people would gravitate to with the scenarios the way they are.

1 battleline unit thats hitting all the improvement increases and storming through the centre. Two smaller ones to sit back/scoot over and hold objectives without being involved in much else.

I actually think that's how I'd have ended up building an army WITHOUT battleline, if the points and scenario's were the same.

I do have 4 units of blight kings for battleline though, so what do I know?! :/

Archived