Path to Glory

Lunk

So I will start this off with I'm lazy. Looking at the factions currently for the path to glory I think it's rather limiting. Is there anything online that has it expanded for more factions. I know I could bash something together but as I said I'm lazy and if I can make use of an already existing structure then I will. You don't get to be a fat man by expending more energy than you have to :-) 

I think it could be rather easy just to pick one of the existing tables and use it. You could even swap out the names. For instance, Bonesplitterz don't have their own chart, but could easily just use the Ironjawz one. 

I wish I had more time in the day to read the handbook, but here's a crack with no reference materials to use:

General: Wardokk 6 units, Savage Big Boss or Maniak Weirdnob 5 units, Wurrgog Prophet 4 Units.

Savage Orruks Table: 1-2 10 Savage Orruks, 3-4 10 Savage Orruk Arrowboys, 5 10 Savage Orruk Morboys, 6 2 Savage Big Stabbas

Savage Boarboys Table: 1-4 Savage Boarboys, 5-6 Savage Boarboy Maniaks

Follower Table: 1-2 Wardokk, 3-4 Maniak Weirdnob, 5 Savage Big Boss, 6 Wurrgog Prophet.

I'd have to see the GH to see how the other army's do it to balance this, but I tried to balance each choice to be roughly 80-160 points.

I think the best and simplest solution is to drop the General and Followers tables, and mix it up with points instead. That way anyone can participate, and you can get more interesting and diverse Warbands.

Say you give each Warband 300 points and allow players to buy less than full units at the price of the individual models. Named models are not allowed.
Each Warband must start with at least 1 Hero, and have at max 1 Monster/Artillery per 300 points.
Winning a game gives you 3d6 x 10 points, a draw gives 2d6 x 10 points and a loss gives 1d6 x 10 points.
Rolling on a Rewards table cost 60 points.
Let each player save up points to a max of 300 points.
When buying new models you have to fill up existing non-full Warscrolls/units, before you can start new non-full Warscrolls/units.

That way you can start at a very low level (like Mordheim warband size) and grow slowly while ensuring that the top is taken off in terms of the most expensive/powerful models.

I think the only thing really missing then, is a good Underdog mechanic, that can help an unlucky warband gain a more equal footing against a really succesful one. But I don't know what a good mechanic could be, that isn't just mercenaries or something (like Bloodbowl). Maybe some kind of divine intervention from their patron God during the battle.
Any good ideas on this?

What I overall would really like from a Path to Glory campaign would be to mix it with Matched Play points and Narrative Play map-mechanics somehow. That would be awesome. :-)

Yea, I hate the Choose Your Table, because some tables are better than others. I would prefer a single table with built in "Roll again on Table B" options.

@Spiky Norman

The only problem with your suggestion is that it defeats one of PtG's core ideas; Building a force of loyal followers through a campaign of conquest. Where's the random fun in picking what I want?

16 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

Yea, I hate the Choose Your Table, because some tables are better than others. I would prefer a single table with built in "Roll again on Table B" options.

@Spiky Norman

The only problem with your suggestion is that it defeats one of PtG's core ideas; Building a force of loyal followers through a campaign of conquest. Where's the random fun in picking what I want?

Well, the Path to Glory rules does not say that it should be random. It says you can choose to pick or you can choose to roll. So the random roll for Followers is not a core idea of Path to Glory.

If you like the randomness, you can easily add a roll mechanic into the points tables as well. Perhaps you can still simply nominate a subfaction table in the points list, and roll a d20 for which unit you can spend points on, or come up with something better and more elaborate yourself :-)

20 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

I'm actually hoping to play in a Path to Glory Event tomorrow all day at Kirton Games, Crediton (Devon) , so will be interesting to see how they decide to do it

Sound great - Please report back on what rules they used and your thoughts on it.

Archived