Units with horns/banners

IRifter

Question

I was wondering how the models of a unit that dont actually carry a weapon are treated.

E.g a unit of tzaangors consists of 10 models. 2 of them carry a two-handed greatblade, 2 carry double one-handed blades(mutants), 4 carry a shield and sword OR a blades pair and 2 of them carry a horn/banner.

If i attack with said unit how does one determine what kind of weapon the icon bearer or horn carrier has? It cant be the greatsword because thats limited to 1 per 5 models and the same applies for the mutants. Can I freely decide if they have a shield or a blades pair or cant they attack at all? Logically and balance wise i'd say they cant attack since they give a huge bonus to the unit as a whole. In this example they can sprint and charge in the same turn effectively turning this already fast battleline from a 7" move to 8-13"move + charge making a movement of 25" per turn possible.

2 answers to this question

The models with banners and musical instruments, icons, etc., are all treated as carrying the same weapons load out as everyone else in the unit  barring the ones who might have a different weapon or shield if that is not something everyone else is carrying. they just have a representation of carrying the special item atop their main weapons. 

I dk t know the Tzaangors very well but with witch aelves we can choose betweeen two daggers or dagger and shield for the entire unit, the banner and musician carry whichever is the choice for the entire group.

As @King Taloren says, models with instruments and banners are just treated as a "normal" model.  You decide what they're wielding when you generate your list.  Yes it feels powerful - but everybody gets it.

According to the warscroll you can have 2 in 5 with a Greatblade.  There would be nothing stopping you putting the horn and icon on one model either - but most of us don't as it can look a bit rediculous.

Archived