The AoS Unit Performance Awards 2018

There are a lot of deadly serious discussions occurring across multiple threads here at TGA, so here I am with a hugely light-hearted one. Wargaming comes down to a lot of luck, and sometimes, particular units manage to pull of feats of unimaginable tenacity, cowardice, combat prowess, or outright combat ineffectiveness, and the results can be immensely amusing. Granted, Warhammer 40,000 probably holds my highlight reel, including a Scout Sniper destroying a Killer-Kan in 5th Ed, and my veteran Guardsman stabbing a Knight with a bayonet, causing it to explode and destroy much of my opponent's army, and the aforementioned Guardsman's mates too.

As such, this thread is for everyone to share the highpoints - and low points - of the performances of individual units on the battlefield in AoS. I shall provide my own below, so you can see what I'm talking about. As this is the first iteration of such a thread, please feel free to use your entire wargaming career to chose this year's examples.

So, here goes:

Most Durable Unit 2016 AND Most Ineffective Unit 2016

...And the awards go to my Slaves to Darkness Chariot! In 2016, whilst in a game against then Khorne Bloodbound, it charged into a unit of Blood Warriors and Wrathmongers and inflicted no wounds. For the remaining four turns (or nine rounds of combat), it took no wounds, and inflicted no damage. It is the only time in my wargaming career that this has ever happened, and remains one of the funniest occurrences ever.

The First In, First Shot Award 2017

Due to some terrible placement, the left ankle of my Ironjawz Megaboss was visible to a Star-Fated Arrow and he was killed instantly in the first shooting phase of my opponent's first turn. I was really bloody sad. Killed by an arrow to the ankle. This was in a tournament too, so I was extra sad. I went on to win, but it was close!

Battering Ram Award 2017

In the same 1,000pt club tournament as mentioned above, as if to re-balance my karma, my Gore Gruntas charged a unit of 5 Chaos Knights and removed all 15 wounds in one go. It was outstanding. One of the only times I've gone up against a 'tough' unit and killed it outright. Glorious, it were!

Should Have Paid Attention at Hogwarts 2017

My Orruk Warchanter failed to cast a single spell, or unbind a single enemy spell, for an entire narrative game I played just before Christmas. I got really funny towards the end.

Now, entertain me!

Durthu Hurts Award

My very first game of AoS, I charge my High Elf High Warden (the guy riding the big eagle) into Durthu, hoping he would keep him occupied for a couple rounds at least. Combat phase comes around I had to fight with another unit which was more important, also I didn’t worry about my awesome hero. Well I underestimated Durthu quite a lot, because my friend rolled well for his sword, scoring three wounds, I make no armor saves, and I sigh “how much damage is it?” My friend laughing says it’s 18 wounds, I was mad at first but it quickly turned to laughter. Anyway, I now know to at least hurt Durthu a bit before charging him now.

Shocking Revelation Award

During my last tournament I played my mixed Skaven army against Nurgle. I tried to bring down opponent's GUO with everything I've got: Warpfire Throwers, Mortars and magic, but it shrugged most of the damage thanks to its ability and Mystical Terrain.  Altough I managed to heavily wound it I didn't believe I could  kill it. Already resigned, I charged it with my Packmaster. He attacked with his Shock-prod. Shockingly (pun intended), GUO failed its save, ability and mystical terrain rolls and my Packmaster dealt whole 3 dmg leaving it at one wound! He even survived retaliation from that GUO. Unfortunately after i regained hope I miserably failed to do more damage and GUO healed itself and promptly killed my "almost" heroic rat.

The Get Your Son Playing AoS Award goes to... Dreadlord on a Black Dragon. 

Teaching my son how to play Age of Sigmar, we both had about 700 points of Order Serpentis vs Order Serpentis. Just playing to kill everything. 

It boils down to the black dragon vs hydra and assorted bits. The hydra had done some serious work to half of his army, but was down to it's last 6 wounds. One dragon bite and he died. Son rolled 6 on a D6, having failed to wound on every single attack apart from the jaws! Safe to say it cemented his love for Warhammer.

Archived