Nighthaunt unit summary

Cargo Cult

With the new abilities I would strongly suggest Spirit Hosts as battle line. They have the most wounds-to-models ratio and there are mutliple things that return slain models.

Not from experience, but Lady Olynder looks to be a mighty fine general with low cost (money and points wise)

Thanks. Presumably the spirit hosts logic applies equally to hexwraiths? I’ve always thought these were underrated.

The only new line troops I can see for sale are the Reapers. What is the view on them, including optimal unit size?

14 hours ago, Cargo Cult said:

Please help!

I’m not sure where to invest my money. Which new nighthaunt units are great and which are flops?

What is the best line unit? Which heroes are champs?

Thanks!

I will put this together for you, I am just waiting on actual monetary prices so that it can be included in the breakdown and summary.  If you want I can do a much dirtier and faster summary if you are dying to buy stuff.

I have played Nighthaunt for over a year, so I have a lot of experience with Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths.  I also own a lot of them.  As an exclusively Nighthaunt player I am patiently waiting for all the releases before I make any wild purchases.  That said, I also do have nearly 3000pts of Nighthaunt before Soul Wars started so I am not unable to play as I wait.

That said, there are some units that are just so good you will want them eventually:

Mounted Knight of Shrouds:   is a must have for your collection.  He is not an auto-include in your army, but you will want him as an option.

Guardian of Souls:  is also a must have.  Not only our only unnamed wizard, his ability to heal your units is extremely good.  He also gives buffs.

Spirit Torment:  I do not really like him, nor do I put him in my lists, but he is extremely good giving out buffs and healing units.  Just not my play style but I still own one.

Dreadblade Harrows:  I would say be sure to have at least one of these, but since they look like they will come in a box of two keep both.  Teleporting heroes are ace, especially for only 100 points.  Give him a Midnight Tome and you have a teleporting wizard.  So good.

Hexwraiths:  fast ghost cavalry that can do mortal wounds just by running past enemy units.  MWs on natural 6's and multi-wound models.  I have 15 of them, but everyone should have at least five in their collection.  They are also battle line.

I can do a more complete summary, but I am at work now, and it will be a much larger document to write.  Until then I can comment on individual units if you have questions, but my answers will be brief 1-2 sentence summaries like above for now.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:19 AM, Cargo Cult said:

All

As ever I’m amazed by the knowledge in this forum. 

For those of us with limited time / experience, could someone prep a summary of the new units with some sort of ranking of effectiveness and key synergies?

Thanks!!!

I'm looking to get back into the hobby and Nighthaunt are an army that has caught my attention. So I'm also following this.

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

I will put this together for you, I am just waiting on actual monetary prices so that it can be included in the breakdown and summary.  If you want I can do a much dirtier and faster summary if you are dying to buy stuff.

I have played Nighthaunt for over a year, so I have a lot of experience with Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths.  I also own a lot of them.  As an exclusively Nighthaunt player I am patiently waiting for all the releases before I make any wild purchases.  That said, I also do have nearly 3000pts of Nighthaunt before Soul Wars started so I am not unable to play as I wait.

That said, there are some units that are just so good you will want them eventually:

Mounted Knight of Shrouds:   is a must have for your collection.  He is not an auto-include in your army, but you will want him as an option.

Guardian of Souls:  is also a must have.  Not only our only unnamed wizard, his ability to heal your units is extremely good.  He also gives buffs.

Spirit Torment:  I do not really like him, nor do I put him in my lists, but he is extremely good giving out buffs and healing units.  Just not my play style but I still own one.

Dreadblade Harrows:  I would say be sure to have at least one of these, but since they look like they will come in a box of two keep both.  Teleporting heroes are ace, especially for only 100 points.  Give him a Midnight Tome and you have a teleporting wizard.  So good.

Hexwraiths:  fast ghost cavalry that can do mortal wounds just by running past enemy units.  MWs on natural 6's and multi-wound models.  I have 15 of them, but everyone should have at least five in their collection.  They are also battle line.

I can do a more complete summary, but I am at work now, and it will be a much larger document to write.  Until then I can comment on individual units if you have questions, but my answers will be brief 1-2 sentence summaries like above for now.

Cheers. This is perfect. 

I’m going to Warhammer World in Sept and so have limited painting time and I want to maximise what useful units I can do. I’ve already got a core of hosts, hexraiths etc. I can use my skeletons as chainrasps to save some time.

Currently in the “to do” pile are the Lady, spirit torments and 10 reapers (any views on them?). That might be all I’ll get through, plus a Guardian when released. However if I do have some more time (and money) I’m not sure what else to do, although I’m now tempted by the Harrows........

7 minutes ago, Cargo Cult said:

Cheers. This is perfect. 

I’m going to Warhammer World in Sept and so have limited painting time and I want to maximise what useful units I can do. I’ve already got a core of hosts, hexraiths etc. I can use my skeletons as chainrasps to save some time.

Currently in the “to do” pile are the Lady, spirit torments and 10 reapers (any views on them?). That might be all I’ll get through, plus a Guardian when released. However if I do have some more time (and money) I’m not sure what else to do, although I’m now tempted by the Harrows........

Well you can likely get a Guardian of Souls on eBay for cheap right now.  I am selling one for $15 at the moment for example and there might be even cheaper ones.

Grimgasts are good, although it seems like a general agreement that you want them in units of 20 at least.  They are 1 wound infantry, so 10 of them is equivalent of 5 Stormcast Liberators in survivability, 20 of them are the same as 10 Libs.

Also, not sure if you should bother with more than one Spirit Torment, but I am bias against them so take it for what it is worth.

45 minutes ago, Nevar said:

10 of them is equivalent of 5 Stormcast Liberators in survivability, 20 of them are the same as 10 Libs.

Be aware that your comparison is rarelly close to in-game reality: in my opinion, 20 reapers are far superior to 10 liberators because of their way to revive, summon, heal etc... In addition they are faster.  But I agree that you'll have to seek for some heros (cheap on the starter box / ebay) or an additional 10 reapers box

54 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Be aware that your comparison is rarelly close to in-game reality: in my opinion, 20 reapers are far superior to 10 liberators because of their way to revive, summon, heal etc... In addition they are faster.  But I agree that you'll have to seek for some heros (cheap on the starter box / ebay) or an additional 10 reapers box

Our reapers also have immunity to rend.  This was a rough comparison, since Liberators can also reroll saves of 1, and it is simply a rough comparison to the unit's survivability on their own.  Liberators could extend their defenses also through various means and support units, but at the end of the day 10 wounds with a 4+ is the same if you are going to wipe the unit in one turn.

The revive/heal mechanic of the Grimgast Reapers is exactly why you want 20 or so.  Just like 10 Liberators it is difficult to wipe out 20 4+ save wounds in a single turn, and unlike Liberators we can revive our models as long as some Grims remain in play.  And much like 5 Liberators, 10 Grimgasts are not extremely difficult to wipe off the table in a single turn, which is more of a tragedy for our Grimgasts because we -could- have revived them.

10 Grimgast Reaper are still good units, and if you own them and are going to paint them up you should bring them.  It is only advice that going forward you want to expand that 10 into a 20 or 30 ghost block.

Archived