Question about the Sigmarite Mausoleum

Cayseymax

Question

So in the new rules on page 95 of the GHB 18, it says that the Mausoleum can be garrisoned. Now if you read the rules description for "Garrisoning" in the rules compendium page 10, it says that:

“Many terrain features that can be garrisoned include flat areas upon which models can stand. Only garrisoning models can be placed or moved onto the flat areas (other models that can fly can move over flat areas but cannot finish a move or be placed on that area unless they are part of the garrison). Doing so is purely decorative; these models are still treated as garrisoning the terrain feature for rules purposes”

So does this really mean, that I cannot chose to place models between the parts of the scenery piece, without choosing to garrison the scenery? Its a fairly large set, and so would be nice (and also cool) to have your death models move around within/ on either side of the walls/fence of the scenery piece?

What I'm asking is this: Can I place models inside the wall/fence of the scenery, without having them garrisoning the scenery?

It seems very restrictive, if you either have to move all the way around it, or garrison it.  Can any clear this up for me?

Thanks

Cheers!

7 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Cayseymax said:

So in the new rules on page 95 of the GHB 18, it says that the Mausoleum can be garrisoned. Now if you read the rules description for "Garrisoning" in the rules compendium page 10, it says that:

“Many terrain features that can be garrisoned include flat areas upon which models can stand. Only garrisoning models can be placed or moved onto the flat areas (other models that can fly can move over flat areas but cannot finish a move or be placed on that area unless they are part of the garrison). Doing so is purely decorative; these models are still treated as garrisoning the terrain feature for rules purposes”

So does this really mean, that I cannot chose to place models between the parts of the scenery piece, without choosing to garrison the scenery? Its a fairly large set, and so would be nice (and also cool) to have your death models move around within/ on either side of the walls/fence of the scenery piece?

What I'm asking is this: Can I place models inside the wall/fence of the scenery, without having them garrisoning the scenery?

It seems very restrictive, if you either have to move all the way around it, or garrison it.  Can any clear this up for me?

Thanks

Cheers!

If the rules are as you've put them here, and with no other context - then no. It's an unfortunate rules fudge because it's not a discrete building, but the walls of the mausoleum are the boundary of the terrain piece. Any flat surface inside that is only accessible to garrisoning troops.

I believe the rule you describe only comes into effect when a unit has chosen to garrison a terrain piece. If there is no garrison then it is treated the same as any other terrain. Also note that for the Sigmarite Mausoleum to be correctly set up as this terrain piece there are restrictions on its placement meaning there are less open spaces anyway.

42 minutes ago, ppetford said:

I believe the rule you describe only comes into effect when a unit has chosen to garrison a terrain piece. If there is no garrison then it is treated the same as any other terrain. Also note that for the Sigmarite Mausoleum to be correctly set up as this terrain piece there are restrictions on its placement meaning there are less open spaces anyway.

I don't think that's the case - reading the whole rules on garrisoning, they lend to an absolute rules construct. It looks like a bounded open space, but the mausoleum is effectively a box in the rules model - you're either garrisoning it or you're outside it. That's the 'can' element of 'can be garrisoned', not 'treating the terrain piece as rough terrain because it's a short cut so I don't want to garrison right now thanks very much'.

Like any scenery, you should decide with your opponent before the game what rules are being applied. If youve set it up like the box shows then it would make sense to use the scroll rules as there is not enough space to fit models on larger bases. If you have set it up as some walls and a few scattered buidlings, maybe use a different rule or drop the garrison part. Or agree to do as ppetford suggests, units can garrison if there are no enemy near, but dont have to or cant if enemy are also on the scenery.

Scenery especially works best if you and your opponent agree what you want to do before the game.

55 minutes ago, ppetford said:

Ultimately what @stato said is the way to go.

No. His solution is (effectively) deciding whether to use the warscrolls or not, or houseruling. That's answers to different questions than the one that was asked.

RAW right now, a terrain piece with a specific warscroll that allows garrisoning doesn't give you the option. You're garrisoned or you're outside it.

Using the mausoleum models as a collection of walls and obstacles is a different kettle of Deepkin.

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

No. His solution is (effectively) deciding whether to use the warscrolls or not, or houseruling. That's answers to different questions than the one that was asked.

RAW right now, a terrain piece with a specific warscroll that allows garrisoning doesn't give you the option. You're garrisoned or you're outside it.

I would go the same direction, if it should be a single terrain piece (using the Scroll) instead of "filling the table with pieces of the Mausoleum"

I think the garnisson rules are more interesting when the small version is build (that was sold as "Morrs Garden" before, because in this case there isn't much room to place models inside.

Archived