Next Step - Opinion on Khorne 1000 points

RuneBrush

I'm after a few suggestions and opinions on what to do to get my Bloodbound up to 1000 points for the open gaming day up at WHW on the 14th.  It's looking hopeful that I should finish my Lord of Khorne over the coming weekend which will give me 720 points painted.

Mighty Lord of Khorne        - 140 *
Bloodsecrator                - 120
Skullgrinder                 - 80
Khorgorath                   - 80
15 Blood Warriors            - 300

Pretty reasonable considering I only started painting at the end of May ;) However painting up 280 points is going to be pretty tight over the next 3 weeks especially as I need to varnish and base everything (and real life will likely get in the way too).

Now I've had a few ideas that I *think* I could get painted in time:

• 20 Bloodreavers & Bloodstoker (would allow a Goreblade Warband) = 980 points*
  • 20 Bloodletters = 920 points**
  • 10 Bloodletters & 1 Skullcannon = 1000 points*
  • 5 Skullreapers = 860 points
  • 5 Wraithmongers = 860 points***

(* these two may be tight on time)
(** I may also have time for the Bloodstoker)
(*** Don't think this is wise as I've never used them before)

But I'm really not sure! I envisage adding all of them as time goes on :)

My "long-term plan" is to not use the Bloodreavers in my army, however I don't have an issue with using them short-term.  I know it's a bit controversial but I just prefer the look of this sea of red armoured champions chanting Khorne's name with Khorne's favour in the way of Daemons alongside.  Sadly the unarmoured look of frothing beserkers just doesn't work for me (plus I use public transport to get to places and unarmoured units tend to require a larger model count).

I do intend to add in a contingent of fast moving units in the future too (flesh hounds, chariots and juggernaughts etc), but guess that having just a small unit isn't going to work that well?

So - what's you opinions?  More than happy to purchase new models and dip into Slaves to Darkness providing they're not another Chaos god

If you don't plan on using the Bloodreavers (I love them btw) perhaps you should pick up the Khorne Daemon Starter set. This will give you the 10 Bloodletters, Skullcannon and 3 Bloodcrushers (some fast attack).

Bloodletters work just as well with a Bloodstoker and Bloodsecrator :) Skullcannon gives you some much needed range fire :) 

5 Wraithmongers = 860 points***

This is the choice I would advise, particularly if you can get the bloodstoker painted (IMHO he is essential for Khorne lists). These guys give you the answers to all the big hitters other than Stonehorns (damn half wounds). They are a serious threat in khorne lists. You can run them behind a screen of blood warriors to give them the +1 attack buff and ultimately attack over their heads in combat. Or you can run them at big threats - Nagash for example.

Bloodreavers are terrible, I would only ever consider them to access a formation.

4 minutes ago, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

This is the choice I would advise, particularly if you can get the bloodstoker painted (IMHO he is essential for Khorne lists). These guys give you the answers to all the big hitters other than Stonehorns (damn half wounds). They are a serious threat in khorne lists. You can run them behind a screen of blood warriors to give them the +1 attack buff and ultimately attack over their heads in combat. Or you can run them at big threats - Nagash for example.

Bloodreavers are terrible, I would only ever consider them to access a formation.

Are you thinking wrathmongers? If not Op i think you should they are amazing. They buff your army, have nice amount of attacks at "3" perfect for standing behind your front line units, you can use them against any high value target, either you kill said high value target with wrathmonger attacks or when one dies you can make said model in that unit attack itself or its ally unit mates.

Only downside is managing not handing out +1 attacks to enemy when you dont want to or a measly 5+.

Cheers all.  I think my biggest concern with running Wrathmongers is that they've got quite a unique style of play (granting +1A to everything round them and possessing opponents on death) and I'm worried that I'll struggle to get to grips with them without a few practice games :P  That may just be the "not want to appear inept" part of me speaking though!

It does appear that Bloodreavers are a little bit Marmite as a unit!  I can see how having a Warshrine or two and fielding a couple of large units would really make them shine in an army though.

41 minutes ago, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

Yep, selected the wrong unit to quote. Deffo talking Wrathmongers!

Won't have helped that I moronically poked an extra I into it - Wraithmongers are a slightly different concept...

The other point is that the Wrathmonger formation - Bloodstorm - makes everything vaguely near them immune to Battleshock - Suddenly blocks of 40 Bloodreavers with Rend become useable. Admittedly, it might be a tight squeeze for 1000 points.

So you've said you envisage your army as a sea of red armoured warriors, so you could always do another unit of 10 Blood Warriors and the Bloodstoker.  This will give you the sea of red you're after and a great foundation to add more exotic things steadily later.

5 hours ago, Nico said:

The other point is that the Wrathmonger formation - Bloodstorm - makes everything vaguely near them immune to Battleshock - Suddenly blocks of 40 Bloodreavers with Rend become useable. Admittedly, it might be a tight squeeze for 1000 points.

Bloodsecrator gives out similar buff and more appropriate for small points, the sheer beauty of wrathmongers is they are are a serious threat even if not attacking by buffing and anything you may struggle with send a small unit of 5 wrath mongers and when one dies his death with the basic attacks from himself and his unit should = death or disabled unit.

Pre measuring was still ok in AoS i thought? so just practice the buff/debuff bubble. Wrathmongers were made to sit behind units so they're fairly safe from shooting, just engage with a Frontline unit and weave them back and forth between pile-ins and battle resolution.

Sounding like Wrathmongers are coming out on top from the looks of it...  Biggest disadvantage of them over say the Daemons is that I'll only be fielding 860 points in total which is quite a bit under the 1000.  I'm going to the Swindon GW tomorrow (Generals Handbook day!!!) so will see what I can pick up :)

13 hours ago, Nico said:

I did glance at it, but the thought of painting up that number of Bloodreavers just leaves me cold if I'm honest :P  You'd ideally need a Warshrine too as Bloodreavers die in droves if your opponent can shoot.

13 hours ago, cb_rex said:

So you've said you envisage your army as a sea of red armoured warriors, so you could always do another unit of 10 Blood Warriors and the Bloodstoker.  This will give you the sea of red you're after and a great foundation to add more exotic things steadily later.

Seeing the new Starter set coming out shortly (10 Blood Warriors, 1 Aspiring Deathbringer and 3 Skullcrushers) this is very tempting.  Trouble is that I know 10 Blood Warriors takes 2 ~ 3 weeks to paint up to the same standard as the 15 I've got which will likely take me beyond my deadline for the event. This is SO going to happen afterwards though - possibly with another 6 Skullcrushers... and possibly chariots... :D 

I'm guessing Skullcrushers become a bit more effective when you field a lot of them and use one of the Battalions that increase things like their charge damage?

1 hour ago, Nico said:

They are remarkably "meh" - they are usually cheap in comps though. They are basically friendly hippos that sit on objectives and gently stroke the enemy.

Almost tempting to paint some grey now...

Well I picked up a set of Wrathmongers :P  Still puts me at 100 points under where I need to be for the 14th, but I'm hoping I'll get them finished in time to get something else done - failing that I have borrowed a unit of 10 Bloodletters as a backup!

Well the Wrathmongers are now well on the way to being done - I've cancelled everything for the next week and reckon I'll have them finished by the end of this weekend...  Quite scary how quickly I'm starting to plough through painting now I've got a deadline.

This leaves me with what to do with the final 100 points - options are:

• Bloodstoker (80 points)
  • 10 Bloodletters (100 points)
  • 10 Bloodreavers (60 points)

I'm currently veering towards the Bloodletters - the Bloodreavers could be "very* tight to get painted up in time (a lot more detailed) and I don't think I'll get as much damage output as I would with the Bloodletters.

I'm of two minds though if the rancor herder Bloodstoker is a better option.  I've used him in every game I've played, and +3" run or charge and re-roll wounds of 1 is very useful - but I don't know if he will add quite as much as a ten models could...  He is pretty solid in combat (3+3 attacks one at 3" range), decent save and quite a few wounds, but don't know if this is better than either other option - plus he's only a single model so not as useful for holding objectives.

2 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

I'd go for 10 Bloodletters, I used the paint scheme Duncan used on the Flesh Hound in his Mighty Lord of Khorne paint guide. Super easy

Think that's pretty much swayed it.  The battleplans in use will be: Three Places of Power; Gift From the Heavens; Take and Hold so I think more troops on the board makes sense.  Would also mean I could field my Blood Warriors as one unit of 15 if I wanted to...

I've used a slight variation from Duncan's for the Flesh Hound - Mephiston Red, Crimson Shade (x2) and then highlighted up with Mephiston Red, Evil Sun and the Orange Edge paint.  Just makes it brighter and slightly different to the Khorgorath.  Grey patches are done the same though :)  Must be honest and say if it weren't for those videos I likely wouldn't have even bought any AoS bits yet!

The videos keep getting better too.  Back to just Duncan too now that Emma has left.

They look really nice!  This is how my flesh hound has come out though he's missing his top highlight :)  (and yes I should have spotted & filled the tiny gap between his collar and head)

FleshHound.jpg

Archived