AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

@Tzeentchmike as you are knowledgeable about the tournament scene, I was wondering if you'd share your opinions on the new models and rules. Bearing in mind, the supposed points costs are 120 for the seekers, 100/270 for daemonettes, 120 for the Infernal Enrapturess, and 180 for the fiends. 

Sure only my opinions though as I’m sure other people will see things differently.

seekers have got better with the automatic hits and re-roll of ones if you are using 10. The d3 models back instead of d6 is probably understandable as having 12 wounds come back could swing a game. I still rate them as useful shields to stop an alpha strike and then using them to tag units in on their flanks to stop people piling in towards your good stuff. Plus the ability to retreat over half the board to gain an objective can’t be overlooked.

Daemonettes are going to be one of those units that other armies will hate. They have got so much better (and they were brilliant in the first place) with the automatic hits and the re-roll 1 to hit standard they are now pushing 26-27 wounds on a unit if all 30 get in. Not many other battleline units can do this ( only witch elves from memory). The wholly within 9 inches made it harder to get the defensive buff but babysit them with a herald and a unit of helstriders and they are more surviveable than people think.

Infernal Enraptureness I’m not sure about she has some useful abilities but nothing that is an auto include to me. The shooting attack is useful but unlikely to do much. The gain 1 depravity point a turn can be handy but I think other heroes can generate more DP quicker. The re-roll casting ability is nice but won’t stop the top magic lists, ie Nagash. My biggest issue is she is not a wizard herself and with specific scenarios where wizards are needed means she does not help and we struggle to get decent multiple casters in the list already.

Fiends just look super solid a unit of 6 will now have a reliable damage output and against some units will just annihilate them, blight kings for one. They have in built buffs so don’t need to be babysat are quick enough to get where they are needed and hitty enough to do the damage they need to. They are also surprisingly resilient si I am expecting to see a lot of them pop up.

still not happy with a list yet but thinking of starting with this next year

Seeker host

exalted keeper, invigorated by pain, dimensional blade 440

chaos Sorceror Lord on manticore 200

chaos Sorceror lord 160

masque 80

2x 30 daemonettes 540

2x 5 helstiders 200

6x fiends 360

i would ideally like a command point to start with but really need 4 hero’s as well so playtesting is required to see if the fiends are really needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tzeentchmike said:

Sure only my opinions though as I’m sure other people will see things differently.

seekers have got better with the automatic hits and re-roll of ones if you are using 10. The d3 models back instead of d6 is probably understandable as having 12 wounds come back could swing a game. I still rate them as useful shields to stop an alpha strike and then using them to tag units in on their flanks to stop people piling in towards your good stuff. Plus the ability to retreat over half the board to gain an objective can’t be overlooked.

Daemonettes are going to be one of those units that other armies will hate. They have got so much better (and they were brilliant in the first place) with the automatic hits and the re-roll 1 to hit standard they are now pushing 26-27 wounds on a unit if all 30 get in. Not many other battleline units can do this ( only witch elves from memory). The wholly within 9 inches made it harder to get the defensive buff but babysit them with a herald and a unit of helstriders and they are more surviveable than people think.

Infernal Enraptureness I’m not sure about she has some useful abilities but nothing that is an auto include to me. The shooting attack is useful but unlikely to do much. The gain 1 depravity point a turn can be handy but I think other heroes can generate more DP quicker. The re-roll casting ability is nice but won’t stop the top magic lists, ie Nagash. My biggest issue is she is not a wizard herself and with specific scenarios where wizards are needed means she does not help and we struggle to get decent multiple casters in the list already.

Fiends just look super solid a unit of 6 will now have a reliable damage output and against some units will just annihilate them, blight kings for one. They have in built buffs so don’t need to be babysat are quick enough to get where they are needed and hitty enough to do the damage they need to. They are also surprisingly resilient si I am expecting to see a lot of them pop up.

still not happy with a list yet but thinking of starting with this next year

Seeker host

exalted keeper, invigorated by pain, dimensional blade 440

chaos Sorceror Lord on manticore 200

chaos Sorceror lord 160

masque 80

2x 30 daemonettes 540

2x 5 helstiders 200

6x fiends 360

i would ideally like a command point to start with but really need 4 hero’s as well so playtesting is required to see if the fiends are really needed.

Thanks for the analysis, its good stuff.

With the enrapturess, I agree the range shooting is subpar. I do think however the magic denial is 1+ to get 1 in your army against those magic heavy lists and is not to be underestimated.

Take the nagash list for example. If he is casting hand of dust on an 8 with his plus three to cast it is extremely easy requiring a 5, meaning 83% of the time he will successfully cast - as you know he will cast portal and immediately try this on the exalted keeper, if he rolls a 9 he can cast the same spell twice - very nasty. The reroll makes a big difference here from the enrapturess, that 83% chance of success drops to a 69% chance of success just from the reroll. Sneak a unit of fiends within 12" for -1 to cast and suddenly Nagash is looking at a 52% success rate, in addition a 1 in 6 chance on all of these to score a mortal wound when the spell is rerolled.

Getting a unit of fiends within 12" isn't tough as you just need to hit his screen of reaper and fiends are fast. The combination of these things means Nagash can be looking at going from a game dominating  20-22 successful spells over 3 turns out of 24, to an unreliable 12-14 spells. Nagash lists will hate that enormously. The same can be said for tzeetch lists which will loathe these pieces.

For 120 points making your opponents magic phasemuch less reliable in those match ups is a bargain with all the other stuff being gravy on top. Of course it is a disaster for any magic user not as potent as Nagash where your opponent was hoping to use a helpful endless spell like cogs or portal. They will get hit super hard by the reroll of success.

That is the most exciting element of the new stuff in my book. It makes Slaanesh one of the best armies to take on likes of legions of nagash and Tzeetch, hit them hard and early and really hurt their magic.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

For 120 points making your opponents magic phasemuch less reliable in those match ups is a bargain with all the other stuff being gravy on top. Of course it is a disaster for any magic user not as potent as Nagash where your opponent was hoping to use a helpful endless spell like cogs or portal. They will get hit super hard by the reroll of success.

From my practise games, I can confirm how useful it is. I went against a Tzeentch army that would have mortal wounded me to death, but with the fiends, IE, and dispelling they only succeeded 2 of 15 spells. Spell defence is very useful for depravity points.  

52 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

Thanks for the analysis, its good stuff.

With the enrapturess, I agree the range shooting is subpar. I do think however the magic denial is 1+ to get 1 in your army against those magic heavy lists and is not to be underestimated.

Take the nagash list for example. If he is casting hand of dust on an 8 with his plus three to cast it is extremely easy requiring a 5, meaning 83% of the time he will successfully cast - as you know he will cast portal and immediately try this on the exalted keeper, if he rolls a 9 he can cast the same spell twice - very nasty. The reroll makes a big difference here from the enrapturess, that 83% chance of success drops to a 69% chance of success just from the reroll. Sneak a unit of fiends within 12" for -1 to cast and suddenly Nagash is looking at a 52% success rate, in addition a 1 in 6 chance on all of these to score a mortal wound when the spell is rerolled.

Getting a unit of fiends within 12" isn't tough as you just need to hit his screen of reaper and fiends are fast. The combination of these things means Nagash can be looking at going from a game dominating  20-22 successful spells over 3 turns out of 24, to an unreliable 12-14 spells. Nagash lists will hate that enormously. The same can be said for tzeetch lists which will loathe these pieces.

That is the most exciting element of the new stuff in my book. It makes Slaanesh one of the best armies to take on likes of legions of nagash and Tzeetch, hit them hard and early and really hurt their magic.

The thing with the scenario is that it is so easy to mitigate hand of dust that there shouldn’t be an attempt on your keeper. Normally I would expect to see the -1 to hit or-1 to attack spell through the portal to weaken the most dangerous unit to them at the time. As for Tzeentch remember destiny dice can be used at any time including for a re-roll of the spell so shouldn’t effect their reliability much at the cost of destiny dice. For 120 points I just think she doesn’t do enough to justify the fact she is a 5 wound hero with a 5 up save.

i just prefer the Sorceror Lord at the moment who does a completely different thing, but is another wizard who can score in arcane places of power and relocation orb and has the opportunity to use realm spells.

10 minutes ago, Enoby said:

From my practise games, I can confirm how useful it is. I went against a Tzeentch army that would have mortal wounded me to death, but with the fiends, IE, and dispelling they only succeeded 2 of 15 spells. Spell defence is very useful for depravity points.  

Did they not use their destiny to dice to guarantee their spells?

7 minutes ago, Tzeentchmike said:

Did they not use their destiny to dice to guarantee their spells?

The reroll left them in a situation where they risk their first cast being a fail if they didn't use them, or having to reroll if they did use them to guarantee sucess. They did use them when the reroll was forced upon them, though. And, to be fair, they didn't have the best destiny dice in the world.

6 minutes ago, Tzeentchmike said:

The thing with the scenario is that it is so easy to mitigate hand of dust that there shouldn’t be an attempt on your keeper. Normally I would expect to see the -1 to hit or-1 to attack spell through the portal to weaken the most dangerous unit to them at the time. As for Tzeentch remember destiny dice can be used at any time including for a re-roll of the spell so shouldn’t effect their reliability much at the cost of destiny dice. For 120 points I just think she doesn’t do enough to justify the fact she is a 5 wound hero with a 5 up save.

i just prefer the Sorceror Lord at the moment who does a completely different thing, but is another wizard who can score in arcane places of power and relocation orb and has the opportunity to use realm spells.

Bear in mind, destiny dice are a limited resource. Tzeetch relies on reliably executing spells most of the time and using the destiny dice to fill in the gaps. Typically there are only 6 destiny dice that are a three of more to use. The Enrapturess is going to burn those dice much faster, increasing the number of failed casts that then require destiny dice to make up the difference (if there is a suitable dice to use). The usable dice are further confounded by the fact they must select dice that do not result in a double or suffer a mortal wound. This burns the dice pool much faster. Your opponent will not be pleased to burn twice as many dice to perform the same actions and will find summoning and magic support very tricky after turn 2 if you have hit them with the enrapturess and fiends. It is the most effective combo I can thing of against Tzeetch, even more so than against nagash it will really hurt.

Hand of dusts threat is more of a turn 2 affair, turn 1 you will typically be out of range with the spell portal, but turn 2 it is almost impossible to avoid unless you want to keep the exalted keeper off the front line which severely reduces power.

Regarding the chaos sorcerer I think there is a place in the list for both the enrapturess and the sorcerer. The daemonic power ability is great, just bear in mind against the magic heavy armies we just talked about the sorcerer is likely a 160 point low wound boondoggle that wont successfully cast without getting dispelled. On the flip side, he is useful in matchups with no enemy wizards where the enrapturess at 120 points is overcosted without getting the benefit from that anti magic ability.

Consider the pair, a unit of 5 hellstriders and a unit of 6 fiends as a solid investment for a neat 740 points to build upon. Fantastic magic defence plus a chance to dispell, hard hitting really durable unit and potentially a unit to peel off and nab objectives, a really fantastic spell and some mediocre shooting. All around a great little package for the army when preparing for a tournament against all comers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

Consider the pair, a unit of 5 hellstriders and a unit of 6 fiends as a solid investment for a neat 740 points to build upon. Fantastic magic defence plus a chance to dispell, hard hitting really durable unit and potentially a unit to peel off and nab objectives, a really fantastic spell and some mediocre shooting. All around a great little package for the army when preparing for a tournament against all comers.

This gave me an idea for a 2000pt list, though only the basics. What would you think of:

Seekers

- 1 Exalted Keeper (440)

* general 

* devotee of torment

* dimensional blade 

- 1 Keeper (260)

- 1 chaos Sorcerer (160)

- 1 Infernal Enrapturess (120) 

- 30 daemonettes (270) 

- 30 daemonettes (270) 

- 5 hellstriders (100) 

- 6 fiends (360) 

1980 points in total 

I was hoping to be able to split up the army into 3 deadly chunks if needed - the EKoS and 30 daemonettes, the KoS and fiends and hellstriders, and the 30 daemonettes with the chaos sorcerer and IE. It would be better to not have to split them up, but I've often fell down when needing to split my army as one chunk ends up obviously less deadly and so easy pickings. I hope none of these chunks seem to be easy to deal with, as even 30 daemonettes without a KoS are deadly.  That said, I'm not completely happy with the list. 

10 minutes ago, Enoby said:

This gave me an idea for a 2000pt list, though only the basics. What would you think of:

Seekers

- 1 Exalted Keeper (440)

* general 

* devotee of torment

* dimensional blade 

- 1 Keeper (260)

- 1 chaos Sorcerer (160)

- 30 daemonettes (270) 

- 30 daemonettes (270) 

- 5 hellstriders (100) 

- 6 fiends (360) 

1980 points in total 

I was hoping to be able to split up the army into 3 deadly chunks if needed - the EKoS and 30 daemonettes, the KoS and fiends and hellstriders, and the 30 daemonettes with the chaos sorcerer and IE. It would be better to not have to split them up, but I've often fell down when needing to split my army as one chunk ends up obviously less deadly and so easy pickings. I hope none of these chunks seem to be easy to deal with, as even 30 daemonettes without a KoS are deadly.  That said, I'm not completely happy with the list. 

The list looks really solid, my one comment would be that the normal keeper is perhaps the odd duck with a worse command ability and adding a 4th spell that isn't really needed in the list, although has uses as a backup if the exalted greater daemon dies and you can use her command ability.

Keeping the big greater daemon alive alive is going to be an issue in melee without some hellstriders to babysit for at least the -1 to hit, and your 1 unit is going to be spread very thin. Also the daemonettes wont benefit as much from seekers as the keeper etc so you will likely end up in 2 waves of attack with the first wave being a little small and losing those characters potentially before the 2nd wave hits. Although I dont know for sure, the 2 waves could be a nice approach in breaking the screens and then consuming the stuff inside. The below suggestions are alternative options, I dont think they are necessarily stronger at all, just food for thought.

3 potential options would be:

1. (more durable wave 1 with extra attacks) Maybe you could drop the small keeper and bump up 1 unit of 30 daemonettes to 6 fiends, invest in 5 more hellstriders and a command point. More durable first wave with the daemonettes filling in behind. Hurts depravity though without the keeper, allows you to get 2 units to double attack which means a big first hit.

2. (fast and 1 wave) drop both damonette units for hellstriders and use the excess points plus your 20 spare for 6 more fiends. You lose a lot of hitting power swapping the 60 daemonettes for 6 fiends, but it makes the slowest movement in your army (outside of enrapturess and sorcerer) 14 with the seekers ability and averaging a 9" charge. Also you can spread your hellstriders in 3 locations to cover the fiends and both keepers which is nice for a big charge that wont just melt when hit back. Plus you dont lose the characters depravity

3. (Bodies - so many bodies) If you dont want things to hit in 2 waves the other option is to accept you are moving slower. Drop the keeper, drop the fiends and have 4 units of 30 daemonettes barreling across the table at your opponent. This would be a scary sight to look across the table and very killy. With the spare 100 points you can get cogs potentially, which could really help the daemonettes allowing them to move an average of 9" plus D6 in a turn and charge an average of 10", or 2 command points and you can use them to make the daemonettes run 6", or another unit of hellstriders to spread out protection. Much slower than the other options but by anyone elses consideration, not a slow army for sure making getting stuck in turn 2 fairly easy.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

*snip*

Thanks for the advice :) I was also uncertain about the little keeper, but kept it due to the fear of the bigger one crumbling before reaching anywhere.  

I quite like the first list a lot - the terrifyingly fast first wave, followed by a ravenous horde of daemonettes.  That said, I would suffer from a lack of depravity to make up the losses I would take. I have all the models (well, no friends until Saturday, but still), so I'll have a mess about and report back. 

1 minute ago, Renaleika said:

Does anyone have any oppinion on the «The Choir of Torment» Battleline?

I was thinking it would be a good buff for the Fiends, as the seekers and Deamonettes might bee a bit to big for the 12inch range.

Also, anyone know how many points it costs?

It's 120 points :)

I tried it recently, and is is good, but the range is very annoying. Don't expect it to happen on the seekers, but the fiends should get in, and the daemonettes definitely do so long as she sticks close by - don't be afraid to run her and give up her shooting if it could result in 30+ more attacks.

8 minutes ago, Enoby said:

It's 120 points :)

I tried it recently, and is is good, but the range is very annoying. Don't expect it to happen on the seekers, but the fiends should get in, and the daemonettes definitely do so long as she sticks close by - don't be afraid to run her and give up her shooting if it could result in 30+ more attacks.

Ooh 120 points is a bargain! Worth the 120 just to reduce drops and gain a command point and artifact even if the ability said 'does nothing' the +1 attack on the daemonettes is crazy good.

2 x exalted keepers (2 artifacts) = 880

30 daemonettes = 270

6 fiends = 360

5 seekers = 120

enrapturess = 120

battalion = 120

5 hellstriders = 100

Total = 1970

Could be a fun alternative, 2 exalted keepers with artifacts hitting twice with the 2 command points you will have, fiends solid as always and 30 daemonettes following up with 90 attacks, ouch.

• Like 1

With the need to protect The Enrapturess, some more chaff would be needed.

So something like this:

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders

Leaders
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore (200)
- Allies
Herald Of Slaanesh on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)
- General
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
Infernal Enrapturess (120)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)
2 x Seeker Chariots Of Slaanesh (160)
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear

Units
5 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (120)
6 x Fiends Of Slaanesh (280)

Battleline

The Choir of torment (120)

Endless Spells
Ravenaks Gnashing Jaws (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 132

Seekers and hellstriders are mostly chaff/pointholders

Fiends or Deamonettes are the main force depending on the enemy.

The seeker chariots could be either.

Lots of spellcasting and damage output from the heroes (for the depravity off it 😋)

No idea what kind of artifacts I would choose tho’.

?

29 minutes ago, Enoby said:

What artefacts would you suggest? Dimensional blade, maybe? What about the second?

Lots of potential options. You could go uglu and go dimensional blade on 1 guy and then sword of justice on the lord with supremely vein to trigger D6 mortal wounds as a character assassin.

Maybe Aqshy for thermal rider cloak on one to be a super fast flying menace and then on the other the +1 to wound Blade to make both weapons 3+ 2+, pairs well with supremely vein for 2+ 2+ and even better with daemonic power if you can squeeze in a sorcerer for reroll 1s to hit and to wound. So the one guy gets powered up massively and hits and wounds with circa 21 of his 22 attacks and dishes out a ton of damage, the flying menace jumps over the screen and barrels into a couple of key characters to slay them.

10 minutes ago, Renaleika said:

So something like this:

Leaders
- Allies
- General
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
- Runestaff
- Allies

Battleline
- Claw spear

Units

Battleline

Endless Spells

Lots of spellcasting and damage output from the heroes (for the depravity off it 😋)

?

I think you would be kicking yourself for not exchanging the exalted seeker chariot and small keeper for the big keeper. Particularly with pretenders and the tasty 2 command command traits, plus the command trait is so much better. then you give him/her/xi :S the dimensional blade, daemonic power and just annihilate anything touched. Imaging just walking up and standing 4-6" inches away from the enemy with a 6" pile in and not being attacked, then walking in with supremely vein and 2+ 3+ rend -3 D2 reroll all ones with 14 attacks and 8 attacks with 2+ 2+ rend -2 D3 reroll all ones. You can maybe kill a whole unit of 20 sequitors that way, one of the most resilient things in the game.

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Seekers

- 1 Exalted Keeper (440)

* general 

* devotee of torment

* dimensional blade 

- 1 Keeper (260)

- 1 chaos Sorcerer (160)

- 30 daemonettes (270) 

- 30 daemonettes (270) 

- 5 hellstriders (100) 

- 6 fiends (360) 

1980 points in total 

I like it as but not convinced with the small keeper. I understand not being happy putting the 6 fiends in takes a lot of other stuff out of the list and still not convinced it's the right thing to do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rock Lobster said:

Ooh 120 points is a bargain! Worth the 120 just to reduce drops and gain a command point and artifact even if the ability said 'does nothing' the +1 attack on the daemonettes is crazy good.

2 x exalted keepers (2 artifacts) = 880

30 daemonettes = 270

6 fiends = 360

5 seekers = 120

enrapturess = 120

battalion = 120

5 hellstriders = 100

Total = 1970

Could be a fun alternative, 2 exalted keepers with artifacts hitting twice with the 2 command points you will have, fiends solid as always and 30 daemonettes following up with 90 attacks, ouch.

Do you not need a 3rd battleline there?  I personally don't rate the formation much as it evolves around the 5 wound hero being alive and it's such a small range. The extra artefact and minimise drops is nice but it's for pretenders only which has dropped in usefulness now daemonettes have a built in 're roll of 1 in them

52 minutes ago, Renaleika said:

So something like this:

Leaders
- Allies
- General
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
- Runestaff
- Allies

Battleline
- Claw spear

Units

Battleline

Endless Spells

?

Remember mortal wounds do not gain depravity so the manticore spell will not generate any. Also I would drop  the jaws they are really not that good as can backfire on you, if you want an endless spell the pendulum is a lot more reliable and positioned right it won't hit your own units.

1 minute ago, Tzeentchmike said:

Remember mortal wounds do not gain depravity so the manticore spell will not generate any. Also I would drop  the jaws they are really not that good as can backfire on you, if you want an endless spell the pendulum is a lot more reliable and positioned right it won't hit your own units.

Also would go seekers over pretenders here as 2 command traits on a chariot is not as good as the movement buff you get from seeker.

10 minutes ago, Tzeentchmike said:

I like it as but not convinced with the small keeper. I understand not being happy putting the 6 fiends in takes a lot of other stuff out of the list and still not convinced it's the right thing to do.

What would you suggest instead of the small keeper? A big chunk of daemonettes, maybe? Hellstriders and something else (maybe three fiends)?

7 minutes ago, Tzeentchmike said:

Do you not need a 3rd battleline there?  I personally don't rate the formation much as it evolves around the 5 wound hero being alive and it's such a small range. The extra artefact and minimise drops is nice but it's for pretenders only which has dropped in usefulness now daemonettes have a built in 're roll of 1 in them

Yes I forgot that the seekers were not battleline, another point against them when they are already poor. I dont like the battalion, but in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. We have no battalions so if you want to get a 2nd artifact and fewer drops, at least it is cheap. My lists I am actually running do not include this as I think losing seekers is an unnacceptable loss. When our book comes, problem solved with battalions.