AoS 2nd Edition: First Battle Round

Ruudy

Question

Hi,

On the new Core Rules there is a paragraph that for me is a big change:

At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn.

Being literal, it says two things:

1. Players must roll off on each battle round, that means on first battle round too.
  2. In case on a tie:
    1. On the first battle round, the player who finished setting up their army first, chooses.
    2. On rest battle rounds, the player who went first in the last battle round chooses.

So, the player who finished setting up their army first no longer decides on the first battle round.

For me is pretty clear, but i saw many battle reports (including games workshop on pass thursday), that do not apply this rule as i understood it.

Can i be wrong?

6 answers to this question

This has been discussed over at 

I agree with you in that reading the rules you do roll before the first battle round. However a lot of sources, including GW’s own ‘how to play’ videos say whoever finishes setting up first chooses. Many players have already written to GW to clarify and hopefully this will be FAQ’d before release day.

3 hours ago, AdamJ said:

This has been discussed over at 

I agree with you in that reading the rules you do roll before the first battle round. However a lot of sources, including GW’s own ‘how to play’ videos say whoever finishes setting up first chooses. Many players have already written to GW to clarify and hopefully this will be FAQ’d before release day.

Thanks!

Is impossible for me to follow posts like that...so generic...is a mess to find and specific topic

1 hour ago, Ruudy said:

Thanks!

Is impossible for me to follow posts like that...so generic...is a mess to find and specific topic

I know what you mean, I guess I was just lucky that on one of the days I was able to follow the thread this issue came up!

Do you have the latest White Dwarf? In the battle report on page 40 in the box entitled ‘Let Battle Commence’ they say they rolled off at the start of the first round. It seems even GW staff are not being consistent!

Archived