Knight of Shrouds (Rune's Nighthaunt scheme)

RuneBrush

Since Warhammer Fest, I've really struggled to get into any painting.  I had undercoat issues with the Morghasts I was doing, which despite the huge boost I got in Golden Demon just completely threw me off my game.  To this end they're sat half painted and I've been tinkering with a Ironjawz Shaman - which is great fun but I'm miles away from having enough Ironjawz to play with.

So Saturday evening, I took it into my head to give my Knight of Shrouds a go.  My thought being that it would allow me to gauge how quickly I could paint up a Nighthaunt type model using the spirit host colours I've used in my Death force - hopefully with the aim of adding a sizeable blob of ghosts to give my army a bit of punch that the Morghasts would have.

I tackled this model differently to how I did my Spirit Hosts, and started off with a grey undercoat and zenithal white.  This gave me a lot more depth in the deep "hollows" which I think works really well.

Happy to say that I'm pretty chuffed with the result.  Although I was originally aiming for a maroon colour, the burgundy actually fits with the red I've used in my army better.  The base needs finishing off (textured paint takes ages to dry even in the heat we've got in the UK currently), but I can confidently say that this scheme would be quick enough to get some models painted up in time for Blackout.

DfW-ljdWkAA8imX?format=jpg

DfW-mWFXkAArHa4?format=jpg

I think the only improvement I'd make is to make the zenithal highlight smoother.  I can't recall if I used a spray can or airbrush, but would certainly use the airbrush and possibly an intermediary colour round the back.

That's looking really good as a colour scheme - its great to see Nighthaunt done in something other than the usual spectral scheme. The burgundy is lovely and the rusted steel on the sword is just perfect. Looking forward to seeing more of your Nighthaunts if this has sufficiently enthused you (which I hope it has).

Fantastic, that red is so gorgeous!

I know what you mean about textured paint, I've started using a similar product over using the regular sand/pva combo (which I have used since I got into this hobby!) but it takes so damn long to dry, even in this crazy amount of sunshine that's been about recently! Still, it looks great and even with the insane drying times, still a lot quicker than sand!

3 hours ago, KnaveOfScribes said:

That's looking really good as a colour scheme - its great to see Nighthaunt done in something other than the usual spectral scheme. The burgundy is lovely and the rusted steel on the sword is just perfect. Looking forward to seeing more of your Nighthaunts if this has sufficiently enthused you (which I hope it has).

Thanks.  It's all come out a lot better than I was expecting considering I mostly made a lot of it up on the spot!  It has enthused me to see what I can add - can't wait to see the warscrolls and work out what will complement the army.

2 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

Fantastic, that red is so gorgeous!

I know what you mean about textured paint, I've started using a similar product over using the regular sand/pva combo (which I have used since I got into this hobby!) but it takes so damn long to dry, even in this crazy amount of sunshine that's been about recently! Still, it looks great and even with the insane drying times, still a lot quicker than sand!

Cheers!  It's actually a really simple Khorne Red -> Nuln Oil as the base!  Nuln really changes the hue of anything with a red tone.

I think the nicest thing with the sand/pva combo is that it's more irregular than the textured paint.  But as you say, for models in an army the textured paint is a lot more straight forward and if you apply any snow effects or similar on the top, you can't really tell it apart.

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking for a color scheme for my NH that was different than so many now. I'd thought about purples and reds individually but not together like this. Absolutely love and want to steal it. Any suggestionson the purple? Did you airbrush or wash or just used magic? :)

On 7/4/2018 at 11:00 PM, Keltheos said:

I was looking for a color scheme for my NH that was different than so many now. I'd thought about purples and reds individually but not together like this. Absolutely love and want to steal it. Any suggestionson the purple? Did you airbrush or wash or just used magic? :)

Cheers.  Very much a happy accident, but one I'm going to run with.

Basic steps for the purple are as follows.  Firstly, make sure you've tidied up the mold lines and filled the gaps ;)  Undercoat Grey (I used the Standard Mech Grey by GW).   Then you want to apply a Zenithal Highlight of white(ish) - so that's from the top, front & sides so that you still get the grey in the shadows and underneath, you can use a can of Corax White or airbrush using Ulthuan Grey.  Once that's all dry (I leave it at least overnight to cure) you can get onto the wash.

Now, I used the old Forge World Eidolon Purple Clear paint thinned 1 part clear to 3 parts Lahmian Medium.  Sadly this paint is no longer available, but I've heard that Badger Minitaire Ghost Tint Purple is similar in colour.  I wash the model twice - but holding the model upside down so that the wash runs towards the top of the model :)  Don't slather the model in the wash, but you're after a complete covering.  I do this twice, but concentrate on a smaller area for the second coat.  Fix the model upside down whilst it's drying too.

Next up I thinned down some Druchii Violet and shaded the area where the ghosty bits meets the robe and any deep shadows.

Finally an edge highlight of Ulthuan Grey was enough to just finish it off. 

The arms were done exactly the same, but the second wash was applied a lot more liberally.

14 hours ago, Keltheos said:

Awesome, thank you. Thought it would be much more involved with the airbrush. Can't wait to give it a try!

I've kept the airbrush usage pretty light on this (and feasibly you can do that bit with rattle cans).  Though I'm a massive fan of using an airbrush, I think when it comes into it's own is when you combine it with regular brush work so you can't actually tell how the result was achieved :)

8 hours ago, Keltheos said:

Defintely.  I had to order the badger color,  no local shops carry badger.  But you did it with a brush not through the airbrush?

Yup, all brush work other than the initial zenithal undercoat which you can easily achieve with a rattle  can :)

Archived