Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

yeah, but at least, the turn of the aetherstrike player killing you doesn't last one hour

And i steel need to find what sort of staccked buf can help us against the pair of two huskarl on thunderstuck :P

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2017 at 10:16 AM, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

Didn't want to clog up the forum with another post so I thought I'd ask this here:

Got my hands on a copy of the new Skirmish rule book.  Want to start a Vanguard Chamber warband.  I notice that there aren't points for any mounted characters in the book.  Is this some sort of balance issue?  There are plenty of mounted troops, just no heroes.  

I'd like to run a Lord Aquilor but I don't want to ruin the game for the guys I'm playing with.  Any reason why he wasn't included in the rule book?  Also, if it were kosher, what would you reckon would be a good price point for him?  I was think 28-30 points or thereabouts.

Since no one else was answering - I'm pretty sure they didn't add anything to Skirmish over 6 wounds, which precludes our mounted dudes. Ogor Tyrants are 7 wounds and are out as well. 

Vanguard looks super good, since Raptors outrange everything in the game (expect super ranged units to be houseruled), Astral Compass lets a Hunter ignore deployment, and Palladors are one of the toughest things available for their points.

4 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Finally grabbed myself a stardrake and have put together and aetherstrike around it. I'm curious what other 'builds' people have had fun or success with ? Maybe with hammerstrike or a bunch of fulminators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not have both? You can fit a decent size hammerstrike with some fulminators. Makes a pretty in your face kind of army. 

Why not have both? You can fit a decent size hammerstrike with some fulminators. Makes a pretty in your face kind of army. 

I'm steering more towards the vanguard units at the moment:

LCoSD
Venator
Castellant
Relictor

5 judicators
5 judicators
5 liberators

5hunters
5 hunters
3 palladors
3 longstrikes

2k on the dot, no battalion but I can live with that. Plenty of potential, threat of the drake, sniping ability, flanking and fast objective taking. If I had more palladors I maybe would drop a unit of hunters and the relictor to squeeze them in

20 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Finally grabbed myself a stardrake and have put together and aetherstrike around it. I'm curious what other 'builds' people have had fun or success with ? Maybe with hammerstrike or a bunch of fulminators?

Can you post the Aetherstrike plus stardrake list? Is there anything special you've included to make the stardrake work? I've thought about the dragon in the list as a huge distraction that takes heat off my longstrikes but 500-600 points is a lot for a distraction.

Can you post the Aetherstrike plus stardrake list? Is there anything special you've included to make the stardrake work? I've thought about the dragon in the list as a huge distraction that takes heat off my longstrikes but 500-600 points is a lot for a distraction.

LCoSD
Venator
Azyros

5 judicators
5 judicators
5 liberators

3 aetherwings
3 aetherwings
3 hurricanes
6 longstrikes

Aetherstrike

Comes in at 1940pts although I'd probably drop down to 3 longstrikes and add either another hero and some hunters or maybe a unit of palladors or paldadins. Still some playtime to get with this one but I feel uncomfortable having so little on the table. Even with the bonus shots.

I dont know why you all try to use LCoD. I dont think hes worth his points. Also i dont think that a aetherstrike force without a group of 9 longstrikes is worth it.

But you'll sink similar 540 points into 9 longstrikes with a 4+ save.

9 longstrikes is overkill and predictable to overcome by any one who knows what they're doing. I've had better games running a stock aetherstrike and spreading the threat across my army. Having a drake is just one other variant to mess about with.

I play them as a unit of 6 in combination with the hammerstrike force. And i have very big succes with that list. Only downside is that there are not enough points to play other heroes. Heres my list: 

List 1:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (80)
Knight-Venator (120)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins(80)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 2000/2000

List 2:

Leaders
Knight-Venator (120)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender  
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Lightning Chariot

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
10 x Paladin Retributors (440)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins(80)
2 x Fulminators (240)

Battalions
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 2000/2000

i dont know which list is stronger, but both lists are very competitive and very strong.
The next list i will try is this one:

List 3:

Leaders
Knight-Venator (120)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Azyros (80)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
2 x Fulminators (240)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)

Total: 1980/2000

Hi
Im new to stormcast list building, but I like a lot of your suggestions. I dont think I'm necessarily going to play this list, but how do you like it for a tournament?

Also, I have two questions: Can you take the same artifact more than once? Can a non-hero be your general?
For this list I assumed yes to both, so there would have to be changes if you cant.

Here's the suggestion:
Leaders
Knight-Venator (120)
- Artefact : Luckstone
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Venator (120)
Units
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80)
10 x Paladin Protectors (400)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- 4 x Starsoul Maces
- 4 x Starsoul Maces
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)
Battalions
Celestial Vindicators Warrior Chamber (80)
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 1940/2000
Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

The idea is to pick off any important hereos in the first turn with the 3 venators, and afterwards go objective grapping with them
While the venators + liberators go for objectivs, my hammerstrike goes to whatever hard hitting troups my opponent haves. Decimators are in for -bravery and hordes, while the two protector units stay close and should be able to thrash most stuff with +1 attack from command ability and staunch defender. If it's actually possible to have a protector as general I think it's a cool way to get your buffs transported to the front line without investing in the 3 relictors as another SE player suggested.

I could see dropping a venator for a 6 man prosecutor squad, and something else. Another option would be to cut down the 2. palladin squad to 5 and add 2 tempestors, as I think it's correct that a lot of people have death star shooting units, which would definitely suffer with a -2 to hit shooting at the palladins. With two battalions I just feel it's a shame if you don't get to use all 3 artifacts.

Without much experience, I'm not sure how to deploy, but im thinking that on most boards it should be possible to keep the prosecutors in cover for the first turn and still reach the enemy with the 12" move, d6 run, 12" drop, 2d6.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts and answers to my questions.

4 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

But you'll sink similar 540 points into 9 longstrikes with a 4+ save.

9 longstrikes is overkill and predictable to overcome by any one who knows what they're doing. I've had better games running a stock aetherstrike and spreading the threat across my army. Having a drake is just one other variant to mess about with.

I've always ran 2 squads of 6 long strikes with 2 relictors to fling out birds for hero phase shooting and objective capturing. This still leaves me points for a squad of 5 paladins and a castellant. 

The long strikes are just so good by the time anything gets past judicators and birds its almost certainly dead

I've always ran 2 squads of 6 long strikes with 2 relictors to fling out birds for hero phase shooting and objective capturing. This still leaves me points for a squad of 5 paladins and a castellant. 

The long strikes are just so good by the time anything gets past judicators and birds its almost certainly dead

I have no doubt the killing power of longstrikes. But they have zero scoring ability. I love the idea of chariot birds up the table but they don't really have any staying power for objectives.

4 hours ago, jazzy128 said:

Hi
Im new to stormcast list building, but I like a lot of your suggestions. I dont think I'm necessarily going to play this list, but how do you like it for a tournament?

Also, I have two questions: Can you take the same artifact more than once? Can a non-hero be your general?
For this list I assumed yes to both, so there would have to be changes if you cant.

Here's the suggestion:
Leaders
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Venator (120)
Units
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- 4 x Starsoul Maces
- 4 x Starsoul Maces
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)
Battalions
Celestial Vindicators Warrior Chamber (80)
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 1940/2000
Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

The idea is to pick off any important hereos in the first turn with the 3 venators, and afterwards go objective grapping with them
While the venators + liberators go for objectivs, my hammerstrike goes to whatever hard hitting troups my opponent haves. Decimators are in for -bravery and hordes, while the two protector units stay close and should be able to thrash most stuff with +1 attack from command ability and staunch defender. If it's actually possible to have a protector as general I think it's a cool way to get your buffs transported to the front line without investing in the 3 relictors as another SE player suggested.

I could see dropping a venator for a 6 man prosecutor squad, and something else. Another option would be to cut down the 2. palladin squad to 5 and add 2 tempestors, as I think it's correct that a lot of people have death star shooting units, which would definitely suffer with a -2 to hit shooting at the palladins. With two battalions I just feel it's a shame if you don't get to use all 3 artifacts.

Without much experience, I'm not sure how to deploy, but im thinking that on most boards it should be possible to keep the prosecutors in cover for the first turn and still reach the enemy with the 12" move, d6 run, 12" drop, 2d6.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts and answers to my questions.

Sorry if this is a double post.

I really like this list. I would be worried about some destruction lists that can turn one charge and possibly table you with nothing too scary actually on board. You can get around it with set up though.

I'd really like to see at least one squad of judicators replacing one of the liberator squads. I just think they're very good, dropping down a protector squad to 5 might be worth trying?

I am slowly building up to a good sized force of Stormcast and was looking at something big and flashy to add to the army. Obviously my eyes needed not wander any further than the Celestant Prime. What an absolutely, insanely awesome model. Certainly one of the best GW have ever made.

My only quandary is that on paper he seems ****** in matched play. Am I missing something or is he really, really overcosted?

40 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I am slowly building up to a good sized force of Stormcast and was looking at something big and flashy to add to the army. Obviously my eyes needed not wander any further than the Celestant Prime. What an absolutely, insanely awesome model. Certainly one of the best GW have ever made.

My only quandary is that on paper he seems ****** in matched play. Am I missing something or is he really, really overcosted?

If you deploy him right in turn 3 or 4, he can be absolutely devastating. If you make a mistake or flub your rolls (it happens), he can seem extremely overcosted. 

19 hours ago, jazzy128 said:

I really like your list, seems nice and flexible but I would probably try to bump your prosecutors up to 6 for survivability. 

I am interested in your last comment about deploying the paladins though as we had this discussion yesterday. We also agreed that the expansion of the celestial supercharge from 6 to 12" implies that you can setup within 12" rather than 6" even though it isn't worded like that in the book. Without an official FAQ though it seems like something you might have to agree with your opponent over prior to the game. 

the best way to use the prime is making him arrive turn 1, in cover and as more than 18" too ennemy spellcaster, and use him as an artillery piece. 3 automatic mortal wound on a unit and between 1 and 3 around make him extremely menacing in the long run, and people have the tendency to be obsessed by him. Because he benefit from cover, with his 2+ and the ability to choose a dice (making him able to always pass at least on save), he will not be that easy to kill, especially if the opponent doesn't have good quality long range firepower

7 hours ago, rokapoke said:

If you deploy him right in turn 3 or 4, he can be absolutely devastating. If you make a mistake or flub your rolls (it happens), he can seem extremely overcosted. 

Only 1 or 2 turns of doing anything seems awfully hit or miss for 360 points.

16 minutes ago, ledha said:

the best way to use the prime is making him arrive turn 1, in cover and as more than 18" too ennemy spellcaster, and use him as an artillery piece. 3 automatic mortal wound on a unit and between 1 and 3 around make him extremely menacing in the long run, and people have the tendency to be obsessed by him. Because he benefit from cover, with his 2+ and the ability to choose a dice (making him able to always pass at least on save), he will not be that easy to kill, especially if the opponent doesn't have good quality long range firepower

What does the 3 automatic mortal wounds? I am just seeing d3 mortal wounds on units within d6" of a point within 24". Probably going to be an average of 4-6 mortal wounds a turn. Seems a bit mediocre for such an awesome looking guy.

I'm going to buy him anyway just cos the model is awesome but at the moment I am skeptical. I hope I am proven very wrong.

45 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Only 1 or 2 turns of doing anything seems awfully hit or miss for 360 points.

What does the 3 automatic mortal wounds? I am just seeing d3 mortal wounds on units within d6" of a point within 24". Probably going to be an average of 4-6 mortal wounds a turn. Seems a bit mediocre for such an awesome looking guy.

I'm going to buy him anyway just cos the model is awesome but at the moment I am skeptical. I hope I am proven very wrong.

because you can choose the result of one the celestant prime roll. So you can transforme one of the D3 mortal wound on 3 mortal wound if you wish, or make the range of the aoe being automatically a 6.

Basically, his range attack is like a 24" autocasted and impossible to dispell arcane bolt X the number of unit affected.

4 hours ago, Earthtremor said:

I really like your list, seems nice and flexible but I would probably try to bump your prosecutors up to 6 for survivability. 

I am interested in your last comment about deploying the paladins though as we had this discussion yesterday. We also agreed that the expansion of the celestial supercharge from 6 to 12" implies that you can setup within 12" rather than 6" even though it isn't worded like that in the book. Without an official FAQ though it seems like something you might have to agree with your opponent over prior to the game. 

Yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to own 3 venators anyway, so might dump 2 for another hero (perhaps heraldor for more mw), and 3 more prosecutors.

could also see a 10/5/5 split of paladins and then have a second wave coming with to fulminators and a cel on drac.

I just realized the wording on the battalion which seems super awkward, but very gw... if somebody asks for a verification I hope they will post the answer here!:)

On 5/30/2017 at 9:58 AM, Requizen said:

Since no one else was answering - I'm pretty sure they didn't add anything to Skirmish over 6 wounds, which precludes our mounted dudes. Ogor Tyrants are 7 wounds and are out as well. 

Vanguard looks super good, since Raptors outrange everything in the game (expect super ranged units to be houseruled), Astral Compass lets a Hunter ignore deployment, and Palladors are one of the toughest things available for their points.

Tyrant is out because he has no plastic model.

Ironjaw Megaboss is in and has 7 wounds.

The Lord on Dracoth might have been excluded for being over 30 points. There are some definitive oddities as far as missing units though (Chaos Sorcerer Lord, Ork Warboss), and this is just speculation.

with his shooting attack who deal aoe mortal wound, all his rend -1 dmg 1D3/2/3/D6 attacjs, his 3+ rerollable 1 save who do 1 mortal wound in aoe if he is able to suceed his reroll, the lord celestant on dracoth would completely roflstomp every warband.

Just Coming back from a tournament win with aetherstrike obv.

2 Tournaments and 2 Tournament #1 so far. 

For me it is 12 Longstrike all the way !

Paired with 3x Priests with blessed weapons for max. Synergy.

Just lacks scenario play, which doesnt matter when u table every Opponent. 

Archived