Troll/Monster themed army!

Cayseymax

Hi guys... I’m considering building a troll or monster themed army with as many savage creatures as possible! Such as Rogue Idol, Dread Maw, Hag etc... 

Im looking for a discussion about witch units to take and whether or not this can be a viable army at all in matched play!

I got this idea after playing The Witcher3, so that’s the feel I’m going for!

Any comments will be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

What are you thinking for Battleline?  Would orruks / grots / ogors be monstrous enough to count?

Well... Savage Orruks would probably work, but I would like to go Femir Warriors, but I don’t think the special general needed for them to be Battleline exists... What would you suggest, in terms of being the best battle line?

Yeah it's a tricky one.  Those are all the options for GA Destruction battleline, so other than that you'd have to play a specific faction and tap into their battleline.

The downside then being that you are restricted to 400 points of Allies for the whacky stuff, which rules out Dread Maw etc.

So as I see it, your options are:

1) Do a Beastclaw army, with either Beastriders as Battleline, or the "Battleline If" Yhetees / Sabres

2) Take the Orruks / Grots / Ogors for Battleline (Savage Orruks or Ogors feel most monstrous imo) and go nuts with the rest of your army

Reading between the lines I think you want to run wild, so you'd probably get more out of the latter, even though its a compromise in its own way?

Actually you could also do an all-squig army.  which would definitely win you cool points (you'd have to have at least one Grot in there as your leader - but he could be riding a squig too). 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Grot-Warboss-on-Great-Cave-Squig

Probably not the aesthetic you're going for though (not that I'm familiar with Witcher - but they certainly aren't Trolls).

One of my friends plays ogors and he occasionally brings a Troll Hag and Dreadmaw.  It never goes well for him when he does.  The hag is very good, she's hard to kill, has a great spell and a vicious shooting attack.  The dreadmaw never seems to do much, it's way too unreliable.   

There is also Throgg (Troll King) and chaos Trolls in the Chaos compendium.  Run a horde of Chaos Trolls led by Throgg up the board and puke and smash everything.  Protect them with cunning deceiver and chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith.  Maybe even add a chaos sorcerer lord to the party. Back them up with a chaos hellcanon for some long range threat. 

Partly depends on what kind of matched play environment you play in. My local GW just uses the points primarily, and players are flexible with the rest as long as you aren't trying to abuse the system. For instance, people would be cool ignoring the battle line requirements if you are building to a Troggoths theme.

Most of the players are gaming with fully compliant matched play but are open to others playing with what inspires them. Just know your local scene.

Thank you all for your answers.

On 5/9/2018 at 1:36 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah it's a tricky one.  Those are all the options for GA Destruction battleline, so other than that you'd have to play a specific faction and tap into their battleline.

The downside then being that you are restricted to 400 points of Allies for the whacky stuff, which rules out Dread Maw etc.

So as I see it, your options are:

1) Do a Beastclaw army, with either Beastriders as Battleline, or the "Battleline If" Yhetees / Sabres

2) Take the Orruks / Grots / Ogors for Battleline (Savage Orruks or Ogors feel most monstrous imo) and go nuts with the rest of your army

Reading between the lines I think you want to run wild, so you'd probably get more out of the latter, even though its a compromise in its own way?

My thought would then be to take Ogors, and maybe use the fell Troggoth models instead (purely for thematic reasons)?

On 5/9/2018 at 4:21 PM, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Partly depends on what kind of matched play environment you play in. My local GW just uses the points primarily, and players are flexible with the rest as long as you aren't trying to abuse the system. For instance, people would be cool ignoring the battle line requirements if you are building to a Troggoths theme.

Most of the players are gaming with fully compliant matched play but are open to others playing with what inspires them. Just know your local scene.

Well in our little friends group of 9, we usually run things as close to RAW as we can. Not my choise though, but there are a couple of them who are really competitive, so they do not go for skipping a battleline or using other units for battleline...

On 5/9/2018 at 5:53 AM, Richelieu said:

One of my friends plays ogors and he occasionally brings a Troll Hag and Dreadmaw.  It never goes well for him when he does.  The hag is very good, she's hard to kill, has a great spell and a vicious shooting attack.  The dreadmaw never seems to do much, it's way too unreliable.   

Could you maybe elaborate a bit? Why is not good?

Keep the comments coming!

Thanks!

Archived