New to slaves to darkness

Dracothjay

9 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

So I can just have a STD allegiance running all units mark of khorne for example, I then can ally in khorne keyword units to keep synergies flowing?

Yes you van ally them in (even if your std units aren’t marked khorne) but allies don’t benifit from your allegiance abilities. 

So in your scenario you would check all your units against the SLAVES TO DARKNESS keyword and everything without that keyword can’t benifit from you allegiance abilities nor can they be the general. 

Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount with Lord of Terror command trait and Helm of the Oppressor for -3 Bravery in 6". Stick him next to a unit of Knights with glaives for a further -1 Bravery within 3". Charge a unit that hasn't been given Inspiring Presence, and delete it in the Battleshock phase. It is absolutely crippling.

For example, a unit of 10 Brutes gets charged. You'll kill on average 3 on the charge, sometimes more if you're lucky. They'll probably take out a Knight or two in return. Battleshock time - Brutes are rolling on a Bravery 2 from the debuffs, at 6-4. They roll a D6, averaging a 4, add the 3 casualties for 7, and suddenly they've lost 5 more 3-wound models without you needing to do anything. That's 8 tough models killed in one go.

Granted, it can be countered with Inspiring Presence, but it means your opponent is forced to keep expending a command ability on one unit to stop it running away. 

1 hour ago, Dracothjay said:

What about a blood secrator? Could he be allies and and buff chaos warriors of khorne?

It's all about the keywords in the abilities. If you mark your STD KHORNE then yes. Because that's the keyword the ability triggers on. But command abilities are limited to your general and as the rules for allies state that a ally can't be the general. 

So I have a list. Pretty standard I think, but capitalising on strengths (I hope):

CHAOS LORD ON MOUNT - mark of nurgle - general - lord of terror - helm of the oppressor

CHAOS SORCERER LORD - mark of nurgle 

EXALTED HERO - mark of tzeentch 

10 marauders - axe and shield - damned icon - nurgle

10 marauders - axe and shield - Damned icon - nurgle

10 chaos warriors - sword and board - tzeentch

10 chaos knights - glaives - tzeentch 

so, my game plan is to sit my marauders on back objectives. 

Warriors pushing up to mid objectives and sit defensively on it with the exalted hero.

chaos knights and general gallop around and smash ****** up, retreat, charge (making most of their shock-type glaives).

sorcerer lord to buff where needed, mainly on the knights to make them that extra bit deadly.

i also understand that it’s probably better to stick to one mark instead of multiples, but for STD....what’s an overall winner in terms of taking marks?  People have said always go slaanesh?

I know what I want from this army already, but choosing a mark/marks for units I’m at a loss. So many abilities from the lords and sorcerer overlap on units, so no matter what mark you chose, it could possibly overlap anyway. Help me fellow vikings!!

13 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I keep forgetting, can allied wizards generate their additional spells from their lores? I was gonna say swap out the slaves sorc for a rotbringer wizard ally with blades of purification for more utility, plus hes cheaper.

No, allied wizards cannot 

I go khorne mark (whether you go khorne allegiance or stay with StD) because the bloodsecrator, along with many other khorne heroes, can buff their attacks. You already noted they are a good defensive army so if you can buff their damage output they can become formidable. Also in a khorne allegiance the warshrine becomes so much better as it can take an extra prayer and Bloodreavers get an extra attack from it being a totem. 

Slaanesh would be a close second but only if you run the slaanesh allegiance. The slaanesh hero command abilities are awesome (piling in and attacking twice with knights that have charged with glaives is just brutal).

Archived