Army idea

wizo

I am trying to get into AoS and free people seem to fit me so before I buy I want to make sure that the list idea I have is not terrible.

200 battle line

General on gryph- 260

Demigryph- 160 (3)

Freeguild Guard 280 (40) battleline

Handguns- 300 (30)

Crossbows 300 (30)

Luminark-240 (allies)     

Gunmaster-80 (allies)

Freeguild General-100

Second-

Freeguild guard- 80 (10)

First, welcome to Age of Sigmar and the TGA forums!

Second, the list. A few things:

What point level are you aiming for? Most people choose either 2000 or 1000, though 1500 is not too uncommon. By my count you have 1800, which is a bit awkward. Also, what does the "second" mean above the last Guard unit?

The Gunmaster is useless without some Ironweld Warmachine to buff. I'd either add some warmachines or drop him.

Other than that, seems solid. I'd use the last 200 points you have to either add in some Artillery, or to buff up your last Freeguild Guard unit to protect your squishy shooters. I recommend Sword and Shield dudes the most, they are STUPIDLY durable for their points.

Either way, good luck! See if you can find anyone to proxy some games with you so you can learn the ropes and see how the army feels. 

Second was the start of the second battalion thing. Also don't you have to spend 200 on your battalion or battle line?

This was for an eventual 2000, but my group might only play 1000, and of that I am unsure what to get since I have a general on a hippogryph already.

Also for 1000 pt games do you have to spend 200 on your.... battlion/battle line? I play 40k so this is like your faction bonus, but the one where you have to spend points on in age of sigmar if that helps. Also tyvm for the info, I will change the gunmaster.

for 1000 it would probably be

General on hippogryph

General

40 free guild guard

demigryphs

10 man handgunners

10 man handgunners

I do not know if I need that 200 for the battle line though....

10 minutes ago, wizo said:

for 1000 it would probably be

General on hippogryph

General

40 free guild guard

demigryphs

10 man handgunners

10 man handgunners

I do not know if I need that 200 for the battle line though....

You dont need 200 points of Battleline but two units on 1000 points and at least 3 when playing 2000 points. 

ok so how do you get your faction type ability then? Isn't it 200 points for the ability to charge/shoot at an charging enemy (once they have charged) into a unit of yours if you are not engaged? Or am I thinking of something different....

1 hour ago, wizo said:

ok so how do you get your faction type ability then? Isn't it 200 points for the ability to charge/shoot at an charging enemy (once they have charged) into a unit of yours if you are not engaged? Or am I thinking of something different....

To get the Free People's allegiance ability all you need is at least 80% of you army has to have the Free Peoples faction keyword. The other 20% can be from any of the listed allies in the General's handbook. (Thr allies are basically the OTHER parts of the old Empire army) So, for 1000 points if at least 800 points of your models are Free Peoples, you have the allegiance, so you are fine.

27 minutes ago, wizo said:

cool! Does that mean every unit, get the free people's ability or no?

It still only applies to Freeguild units. Allies just don't negate it if you get the numbers right. So, no supporting fire with a cannon, as much as that would be awesome.

57 minutes ago, wizo said:

But I could do supporting fire/charge with lets say a demigripphon unit. Ok that works extremely well tyvm!

Technically... The supporting fire ability from the allegiance comes from the Great Companies. A Great Company needs one 20+ model unit, and two 10+ units. They all support each other, but no one else. You can have unlimited Great Companies as long as you get 3 units per Company. So yes, Demigryphs work, but must be 10+ models, which is super unwieldy.

On the OTHER hand, handgunners and crossbowmen can supporting fire just by being charged (its an ability from their musicians), though that usually does nothing for the Demigryphs other than saving them from an unwanted charge.

2 hours ago, wizo said:

Lovely. Thank you for the clarification. Not too strong like the orc example I found somewhere of basically a free turn, but not bad. Makes for a great gunline.

It can get DUMB. With a big unit, standing still, and the regular General's command ability Hold the Line, Handgunners all hit on 2+, would on 2+, making them NASTY. All these buffs still apply to the out of turn shooting. Screen them with a solid but thin block of buffed Swordsman (Mystic Shield from any wizard and Indomitable from Free Guild command trait make them 2+ armor) and enemies will crash into the swordsman but end up in 3 inches of the handgunners and get blasted. Thin of long thin rows. It gets nasty...but being mobile is hard, and if your buffs go away things look dire. But Freeguild are fun and such a great castle feel to them. Have fun!

Archived