Potentially looking into Slyvaneth

AaronWilson

Hi guys

A local game shop has a painting competition (Not that I stand any hope of winning) and I've recently been looking into Sylvaneth so it seems like the perfect away to jump in! I just wanted to ask is there anything to avoid right now as a rule of thumb in the battletome that's just terrible rules wise? I only want the army because it looks boss so I'm not fussed about buying the "correct" choices but I don't want to waste money on things that will never see table time. 

I don't think you can go wrong with the Start Collecting box. Two of them puts together an ok 1000pt list:

Allegiance: Order
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)
Branchwych (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
Treelord (240)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 64

Generally speaking I think the preference is for Tree-Revenants over Spite-Revenants and Kurnoth Hunters with Bows over the other options. A lot of it will be personal preference though.

Check out the Let's Chat which covers all this in WAY more detail.

In my opinion everything in the book is good except spite revenants. I think the sylvaneth have a pretty good internal balance... the rest of the choices are all about equally effective for their points, however each has their role.... basicly starting with getting one of each box  (start collecting for the boxes in there is obviously cheaper) would not be a bad thing especially if you are in it for the painting... I presume getting different models is more fun then?

If you worry about stuff seeing time on the table:

Don't build spites, and think before you get a 3th treelord box or a 2nd named character box :D.. before you get a 4th box of anything you should probably also reconsider.

They do look great, and they have a great SC box (get 2) that you can build on very well. I built an army of them on release and here's what I wish I had known:

1. Having to buy and prep/paint 6+ citadel woods is more costly and time consuming than I originally realized. If you're just playing 1k you could probably get away with maybe 3, but they still run about $35 each so it's something to keep in mind. If you can make your own and your group is cool with letting you run them counts-as, it'll help.

2. Not a lot of unit variety. My issue was I loved Kurnoth Hunters, Alarielle, and Treelords - but not the battleline units much at all. When KH got their big price increase it sort-of took a bit out of my motivation to field them.

3. People didn't like playing games against an opponent who would try and flood the board with hazardous terrain, and I didn't much enjoy doing it. I wish there wasn't so much emphasis and synergy built into wyldwoods - I'd rather they be an alternate path one could take instead of being the entire point of the allegiance. 

Spites are not good per se, but they are great (and mandatory) if you'll run a Dreadwood. Yes I agree with avoiding them but for a matter of preferences. Were other choice are free to be used indipendent from any battalion you will choice, Spite Revenants are really good only in a Dreadwood Batallion. So maybe they're not a great choice at the beginning, but feel free to buy them whem you will try the Dread one. 

On 15-3-2018 at 12:36 AM, Freejack02 said:

They do look great, and they have a great SC box (get 2) that you can build on very well. I built an army of them on release and here's what I wish I had known:

1. Having to buy and prep/paint 6+ citadel woods is more costly and time consuming than I originally realized. If you're just playing 1k you could probably get away with maybe 3, but they still run about $35 each so it's something to keep in mind. If you can make your own and your group is cool with letting you run them counts-as, it'll help.

2. Not a lot of unit variety. My issue was I loved Kurnoth Hunters, Alarielle, and Treelords - but not the battleline units much at all. When KH got their big price increase it sort-of took a bit out of my motivation to field them.

3. People didn't like playing games against an opponent who would try and flood the board with hazardous terrain, and I didn't much enjoy doing it. I wish there wasn't so much emphasis and synergy built into wyldwoods - I'd rather they be an alternate path one could take instead of being the entire point of the allegiance. 

If you can't flood the table you'll have a hard time. One of my opponents tends to place tons of other terrain on the table (I wasn't neccesarily against since it looks nice) and I've had hard times against him not being able to play objectives that easily. When another opponent just made a table with a few pieces of terrain I could teleport here and there, get changes of charges on backline units and grabbing objectives.... it was MUCH easier. It makes all the difference.. and then ofcourse the mortal wounds: if you have 2 forests in out  of the way locations it won't do much... however 2 forest next to eachother in the centre of the table where EACH is in range of 2-3 units means a single spell can get you a lot of chances for a few MW (It can a be a good reason to place a few single forests close to each other).

Archived