Legion of night strengths

Dracothjay

So I’ve started this topic to briefly discuss Legion of night and it’s strengths. 

I have yet to play this legion, but continuously reading the rules in the legion I am trying to really crack down on its true power and what will make this a formidable legion.

so, AMBUSH. It’s number 1 true strength. Having units hidden away, especially units that can give you the turning tide to win you the game is key. But what units are key? 

THE BAIT. Obviously it’s designed for us to use skeletons as battleline to recieve a free +1 to skellies saves. I’m thinking just one block of 40 then rest of the battleline with dire wolves. 

It doesn’t strike me as a very magical reliant legion, but to use sheer brutality in terms of combat and aggression (which is my preferred play style).  At a 2K list I will always use mannfred as my general.

legion of blood looks to excel in reducing bravery and hitting hard.

legion of sacrament is a magical reliant legion.

what are your thoughts of legion of night. What’s optimal for this legion? Artefacts and command traits, what’s best? Spells, what spell selections can boos LoN?

id like to hear your views as this legion excites me and want to excel with it.

My current list:

Prince Vhordrai (Orb or whatever)

VLoZD (Amethyst Pinions)

Nercomancer (Morbhegs Claw)

Necromancer

40 Skellies

5x2 Wolves

4 Morghast Harbingers wih Halberds (Ambush)

The idea is the to get the Necromancer to drop the claw to allow Prince V and Vamp to get their spells off easily, likely with Mystic shield and Van Hels/Dread from the Necromancers. The two dragons get into the opponents face ASAP followed by the Skellies in the mid-ish board. The Harbingers appear in the flank or rear of the opponent due to ambush.

Very much first turn smash is the idea. I may swap out one of the dragons for more Morghasts to appear from an unexpected angle.

Currently Prince V is the general - that ability of his will allow the other Dragon to attack in the hero phase in turn 2. Turn 1 will probably be to force another spell from the Necromancers or VLoZD.

If the VLoZD were to be the general I'd probably take Unholy Impetus to hopefully gain +1 attack for the Morghasts or Prince V.  Swift Form would be another likely candidate to really allow for that really fast turn 1 movement.

The list I took to Blood tithe:

VLoZD

general

lance

VLoZD

sword

3x 5 Dire Wolves

5 Black Knights

2x Harbringers w/ Halberds

2x Terrorgheists

i ended 3-2 and lost both games to Changehost on poor dice rolls

i think Legion of Night needs to be played very aggressively

the Harbringers and Terrorgheists went into ambush every game.

the 3d6 charge and 10” scream are perfect when you’re 9” away. Gives your opponent a real headache as they can’t ignore the ambushers but equally can’t ignore the double dragon either

21 minutes ago, Thanatos Ares said:

he 3d6 charge and 10” scream are perfect when you’re 9” away. Gives your opponent a real headache as they can’t ignore the ambushers but equally can’t ignore the double dragon either

How does it fair with with armies with high bravery scores? Is the maximum bravery debuff your getting -1 from skellies, -1 from morghast. So in total -2 bravery for your TG scream?

There are three units I see as good ambushers. Morghast harbingers for long charge. Terrorgheist for scream range the moment is drops. And characters to sneak activate back field grave sites.

For battleline, even with the bait bonus, I would go 40 skeletons or units of Dire Wolves. My initial LoN list would probably look something like this:

Allegiance: Legion of Night
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Vampiric Sword & Shield & Chalice
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
4 x Morghast Harbingers (440)
- Spirit Halberds
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Artifact and trait pending.

Personally going to play a very small (750 points, 1hero) tournament tomorrow. 

160   20 skelli (bait)

440.     4 harbringer

140.      vampirelord (vile trans)

the skellis as sitting ducks and the vamp with his guard, maybe 2x2 for maxx flexx. Have to survive the retaliation, but charging harbringers at 750 points should put the hurt on my opponents and guarantee a lot of fun, if not victory ??

1 minute ago, Dracothjay said:

I understand harbingers being the best choice out of ambush, but what load out? I’m half tempted to give the harbingers halberds for juicy -2 rend, but I do understand spirit swords offer more attacks per model!

That is largely going to depend on local meta. Fighting lots of 6+ save hordes? Swords are likely better. Are you up against 2+ reroll 1s saves? Halberds all day.

I guess against low bravery models the terrorgheist gets interesting, haven’t really mathed out the damage potential against the morghast...

Problem is the missed hero phase for buffs. Might consider an aggressively placed necromancer on vortex for bravery debuff, but a deepstriking small hero for deathless minions... not quite sure if he even gets an herophase. hoping for double turn it might be devastating, but if not he is a sitting duck 

3 hours ago, Honk said:

I guess against low bravery models the terrorgheist gets interesting, haven’t really mathed out the damage potential against the morghast...

Problem is the missed hero phase for buffs. Might consider an aggressively placed necromancer on vortex for bravery debuff, but a deepstriking small hero for deathless minions... not quite sure if he even gets an herophase. hoping for double turn it might be devastating, but if not he is a sitting duck 

Not just the scream. He can be deadly in combat as well. Rolling a 6 on that bite attack is devastating (6 damage, no saves, does not count as mortal wounds).

I fought a legion of night army with 2x40 skellies, 2 terrogheist, and one VLOZD, as well as 2x5 dire wolves.

You can't ignore the bait (80 skellies will f*** you up), and the two terrorgheist on the flank is absolutely terrifying.

Honestly, the +1 save in your territory alone is incredibly good.

I really like tomb banshees in ambush. She is cheap, fairly durable and a character so can graveyard summon and grant deathless minion saves.  The scream is just as good as a terrorghiest without the auto 6 but the small base size means she is very sneaky and can get in tighter gaps

Just finished a small army builder project tournament with legion of the night( 750 points, 1hero)

failed hard, but it was not the list, it was the player...

4 harbringer were awesome (beware of carnosaur bloodroar)

20 men bait in cover we’re awesome (3+ save)

the vl was alright. Ambushed for the deathless minion on the morghast.

failed hard against a fyreslayer list, but was also a positioning problem and capturing objectives.

So very good in your Face List, in competent hands devestating...in mine, well, mediocre ;-P

Archived