Can I use the Plague Priest's prayer "wither" on my OWN unit??

sal4m4nd3r

Question

I want to know if I can cast wither on my own units? Wither is a prayer that grants +1 wounds rolls against a target unit. I want to know if I can pick my own unit as a target and have the opponents units get +1 to wound against my units..?

It simply states, pick a unit within 13" .. but the flavor text says just below "Pestilent prayers" seems to show RAI. I am talking strictly RAW .

Thanks

IMG_3791.PNG

7 answers to this question

There might be foes of the plague priest concealed within your unit! Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get him!

Jokes aside, yes, you can use it on your own unit. It says "pick a unit" as opposed to "pick an enemy unit" which is the usual wording.

I am curious though, what clever scheme are you trying to accomplish with it? :) 

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

There might be foes of the plague priest concealed within your unit! Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get him!

Jokes aside, yes, you can use it on your own unit. It says "pick a unit" as opposed to "pick an enemy unit" which is the usual wording.

I am curious though, what clever scheme are you trying to accomplish with it? :) 

To be used in conjunction with plaguetouched warband. If a unit in the batallion is set up in a multiple of 7, they kick back mortal wounds to the attacking unit on a wound roll of 6. If I wither my own unit (marauders or warriors) and buff my enemies wound roll by one against my unit..they get mortal wounds kick backed on a 5+!

prayers can be stacked so theoretically I could be kicking back mortal wounds on every successful wound roll. Or they unit wouldn't attack at all which ironically would be worse for me ahahah

IMG_3793.PNG

Sure .... you’re returning one (1) mortal wound (only in the combat phase) .... but you’re also increasing the likelihood of taking wounds on the Unit by ~17% 

So... for every 6 wounds rolled against you ... you’ll statistically take an additional 1. This would affect you in the shooting phase, the combat phase, and your opponents hero phase and you would only get benefit in the combat phase.

Your Plague Priest doesn’t synergize with the NURGLE keyword well (it can’t take any NURGLE Command Traits or Artefacts, and can’t be used as part of the 7 units as it doesn’t have the MORTAL keyword.

edit for clarity:

Where Abilities and Unit Abilities Or Battalion Abilities overlap only using NURGLE, they’re fine. Only the Verminlord  has the appropriate keywords in PESTILINS to get the full benefit from the Maggotkin of Nurgle book; the other units don’t meet the requirements for the Spell Lores, Command Traits and Artefacts that came out in Maggotkin of Nurgle.  They qualify to benefit only from the Battle Traits (Cycle of Corruption) as that only uses the NURGLE keyword.

If you want to leverage any of the Pestilins HERO caster units or given them Artefacts into the force they’re potentially somewhat hamstrung due to the Maggotkin KEYWORDS focusing on MORTAL, ROTBRINGER, and DAEMON.

NURGLE WIZARDS get the Foul Regenisis, but don’t benefit from the additional spells from the “Lores of Nurgle”.

It is actually rather annoying ... (though not entirely unexpected.) :S

On 3/10/2018 at 5:09 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

Sure .... you’re returning one (1) mortal wound (only in the combat phase) .... but you’re also increasing the likelihood of taking wounds on the Unit by ~17% 

So... for every 6 wounds rolled against you ... you’ll statistically take an additional 1. This would affect you in the shooting phase, the combat phase, and your opponents hero phase and you would only get benefit in the combat phase.

Your Plague Priest doesn’t synergize with the NURGLE keyword well (it can’t take any NURGLE Command Traits or Artefacts, and can’t be used as part of the 7 units as it doesn’t have the MORTAL keyword.

well sure..I will take an automatic mortal wound for. 17% increase in wounds (before armor saves) any day of the week. Especially on marauders who have fleshy abundance or warriors with a 4+ (easily 3+ with mystic) not to mention if there is a harbinger of decay. 

And obviously he isn't a mortal so doesn't go in a PT warband..why you would choose him to be a general I have no idea..(so no command traits not an issue). If you think plague priests and by extension pestilens don't synergize well with a maggotkin army you are just wrong.

Archived