Wizard dies middle of casting

Tittliewinks22

Question

9 answers to this question

In this case I'd say no, the spell (curse) has been cast and runs it's natural course regardless of the fact a mortal wound has been reflected.

The wording of the spell is "on a 6+ that unit suffers a mortal wound and you can roll an extra dice" the and makes them exclusive clauses. It doesn't imply that the wound has to stick.

Otherwise you could have a situation where a necromancer casts vanhels dans macabre on a unit, then casts another spell (e.g amaranthine orb) on a unit that can reflect mortal wounds (like nagash) and die...Van hels doesn't suddenly vanish because the necromancer that cast it died.

Once the roll to cast a spell is successful the spell uses its rule until completion regardless of what happens to the caster.

There's no such thing as "mid-cast" within the rules.

A spell is cast, or it isn't. The wizard's involvement is casting and (typically) being a marker for ranges, but the spell is then active and resolved.

The exceptions here would be resolution effects that require the Wizard to still be physically present during resolution at a later stage, e.g.  "during your movement phase, units within X of this model".

Well, since you continue to roll the dice, even if the wound is saved...

I would first resolve the spell, adding up the mortal wounds, then all the save rolls are made and damage might be thrown around.

Mid-Spell saves...you don‘t roll saves for half the attacks of Khorne Bloodletters (but after reading the rules, the attacker could force you)

6 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Apologies (and probably OT), but I don't understand this statement?

I tried to find a similar situation (incoming mortal wounds) but messed it up... after reading the rules for how to make attacks it is not clear if you are allowed/forced to make several in one go. I guess there could be several instances where an opponent with backfireing wound save could argue to Make you roll one attack at a time, to kill your hero f.e..

But with that I‘ll come back to the topic, Curse of Years is one single spell (attack) with a rather interesting damage characteristic. So there is only one damage step and only one save step.

But the Locus of Shyish 9+ effect... 

1 minute ago, Honk said:

I tried to find a similar situation (incoming mortal wounds) but messed it up... after reading the rules for how to make attacks it is not clear if you are allowed/forced to make several in one go. I guess there could be several instances where an opponent with backfireing wound save could argue to Make you roll one attack at a time, to kill your hero f.e..

But with that I‘ll come back to the topic, Curse of Years is one single spell (attack) with a rather interesting damage characteristic. So there is only one damage step and only one save step.

But the Locus of Shyish 9+ effect... 

Briefly on melee - all attacks are simultaneous, so even if you were resolving one at a time and somehow the attacking unit got wiped, they still get to make the attacks they were entitled to before any dice were rolled.

As for Locus of Shyish, that would typically be affected IMO. You don't cast the spell twice, you get to resolve it twice, so it isn't simultaneous.

In the example above, if Arkhan is killed by wound rebounds as part of the resolution process for the first 'casting' of the spell, you wouldn't get the second - because at the point where you have to "pick a unit within X" he's no longer on the board to be within X of anything...

30 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

As for Locus of Shyish, that would typically be affected IMO. You don't cast the spell twice, you get to resolve it twice, so it isn't simultaneous.

In the example above, if Arkhan is killed by wound rebounds as part of the resolution process for the first 'casting' of the spell, you wouldn't get the second - because at the point where you have to "pick a unit within X" he's no longer on the board to be within X of anything...

As feared, as it should be...

and vile transferance doesn´t save anything afterwards, because dead models don´t regen.

14 minutes ago, Honk said:

As feared, as it should be...

and vile transferance doesn´t save anything afterwards, because dead models don´t regen.

Depends. You pick the enemy and friendly units first, so caster dying during wound resolution wouldn't affect that as such - so that wizard could heal a unit of Skellies even if Nagash popped him.

You'd need to check on specific ability wordings though - In the case of VT vs. Morikhane for example, VT actually specifies ("Then") that the wound transfers occur after the wound resolution (i.e. not simultaneously) - so if the friendly unit was the Wizard, if the wound resolution process killed them then yes, you can't heal them.

In other circumstances, you'd be looking at sequencing, priority of simultaneous ability triggers etc.

Archived